Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2010 11:17:16 AM EDT
Edit: Writing this for an off board friend seeking information.

The gun was Sold,
Shipped/Tracking/Insured$1,000
to the buyer in Vegas.

UPS will NOT cover the damage!
Friend returned money(check) to buyer and now what...

Call up Arsenal and they can't fix and tell me to call Firing Line in OK. (Great Customer Service from Firing Line)

Would like to avoid shipping it around the country $$$.

Is there a Good local(SoFL,Miami) smith that could check it out and fix whatever is wrong?

These are pictures from the Vegas FFL,
-FFL says the barrel doesn't look bent.
-I'm I right to think that this all looks cosmetic?
-Just want to cover all basis before shipping it around or back to a local FLL.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
That sucks.

What was UPS's rationale behind not covering the damages?  My experience has been pretty positive with them shipping weapons.  When broke, they cover.  If UPS policy was followed, you have a very valid claim on the funds that you insured it for.

As far as fixing it - really need an AK guy - going to defer to Osprey21 on this one.  He has either broke himself or seen broke and had fixed weapons I have never even heard of .  Anytime that I have asked his advice it put me in a good hands.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That sucks.

What was UPS's rationale behind not covering the damages?  My experience has been pretty positive with them shipping weapons.  When broke, they cover.  If UPS policy was followed, you have a very valid claim on the funds that you insured it for.

As far as fixing it - really need an AK guy - going to defer to Osprey21 on this one.  He has either broke himself or seen broke and had fixed weapons I have never even heard of .  Anytime that I have asked his advice it put me in a good hands.

Friend F'ed up by shipping the weapon via a UPS Store and not a UPS HUB is what they're saying.
Also, The weapon was shipped assembled, What would be the proper method just take the bolt out?

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Friend F'ed by shipping the weapon via a UPS Store and not a UPS HUB is what they're saying.

It is true that UPS states, "Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer."
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

BUT... did you tell the UPS store that it was a firearm? If so, then they had the duty to NOT accept it. While UPS can ignore it.... You might have a claim against the UPS store.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Friend F'ed by shipping the weapon via a UPS Store and not a UPS HUB is what they're saying.

It is true that UPS states, "Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer."
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

BUT... did you tell the UPS store that it was a firearm? If so, then they had the duty to NOT accept it. While UPS can ignore it.... You might have a claim against the UPS store.

Yes they(UPS Store) knew what it was.
The UPS Store manager also said to lie to UPS and tell the FLL the gun was sent to, to say that the weapon was dissembled when it arrived. (which not about to happen and doesn't seem right)
I just don't understand the "dissembled part" I have never bought a rifle new in box which was dissembled at pick up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
he "said" that but I bet he will "DENY" that till he is blue in the face.... your buddy is hosed
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what happens when you KNOWINGLY violate the rules...  By knowingly violating UPS's rules, you let them off the hook.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

shit O21 has Mikhail kalashnikov cell number.

Monkey-wrench blow up his Krink, and got it fixed. Ask him..
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is what happens when you KNOWINGLY violate the rules...  By knowingly violating UPS's rules, you let them off the hook.

Don't ASSume.

Moving on,
Buddy gave on UPS and now has to keep the rifle.
I don't know much about AK's other then the basics or any local smiths to recommend.
So anyone local that does very good work to send it to?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That sucks.

Friend F'ed up by shipping the weapon via a UPS Store and not a UPS HUB is what they're saying.
Also, The weapon was shipped assembled, What would be the proper method just take the bolt out?

If the UPS store took it knowingly you may have a case if the packaging states weapon or to an FFL - consult lawyer.  I have both shipped & received hundreds of guns via UPS and none of them were disassembled.  We get them from the factory assembled.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I work for a company that ships thousands of heavy, intricate, expensive items through UPS every year. My experience is that UPS will almost always deny your claim the first time by default.

What you need to do is go to the UPS store and harass the manager. The manager can contact their UPS account rep and get it taken care of, but you may have to be very annoying because UPS doesn't make it easy.

UPS wants to stay on good terms with their high volume shippers and their reps will do what they can to make the UPS store manager happy, but you have to really let him know that you intend to keep calling and showing up until he gets UPS to do something about it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't ASSume.

Moving on,
I don't know much about AK's other then the basics or any local smiths to recommend.

What do you mean?  Did you not say your buddy KNOWINGLY shipped from a NON-HUB location, and KNOWINGLY went along with the manager concealing the fact an assembled firearm was being sent?

If so... he did fuck up as you put it as it gave UPS an out.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#12]
This is one of those instances where "machine parts" on the content form at the UPS store will come back to bite you in the ass.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#13]

This is the guy to fix your AK.

Don's gun shop

3112 Palm Avenue Fort Myers, FL 33901-7417 - (239) 334-6779

Don Quinell.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't ASSume.

Moving on,

What do you mean?  Did you not say your buddy KNOWINGLY shipped from a NON-HUB location, and KNOWINGLY went along with the manager concealing the fact an assembled firearm was being sent?

If so... he did fuck up as you put it as it gave UPS an out.  

Reading comprehension,
"Friend F'ed up by shipping the weapon via a UPS Store and not a UPS HUB is what they're saying."
The operative word(s) are "they're saying"
You're welcome.

Facepuncher, Thanks I'll let him know to try again and show up at the store and speak with the manager.
jjrockbush, Thank you for that info I will pass it along.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#16]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:

Yes they(UPS Store) knew what it was.

Then go talk to them about it. They accepted it and were acting as an agent for UPS. They should have known the rules.

The UPS Store manager also said to lie to UPS and tell the FLL the gun was sent to, to say that the weapon was dissembled when it arrived. (which not about to happen and doesn't seem right)

Never lie. If you do you will lose all credibility if something goes wrong.

I just don't understand the "dissembled part" I have never bought a rifle new in box which was dissembled at pick up.

That's because it is total BS.

When shipping a firearm you have to know both US law AND the rules of the carrier. Most carriers have rules that state something along the lines of "follow US law".  But most times the counter agents do not know and worse THINK they know the rules. I had a counter agent try to refuse my weapons shipment back to Cohaire. But US law states an individual is allowed to send a firearm in for repair AND it can come directly back to the individual. *I* knew that, the counter agent did not. I had to provide copies of both the law and the carriers rules to be able to ship it.

But a good general rule for all going forward...

1. You have to drop it off at a company owned location
2. You have to state it is a firearm
3. You need to carry copy's of the company's paperwork and the US law.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#17]
call it what you want but your friend knowingly broke the rules.... I don't care if the UPS douchebag told him to lie or not... NOT COVERED it is what it is.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
call it what you want but your friend knowingly broke the rules.... I don't care if the UPS douchebag told him to lie or not... NOT COVERED it is what it is.

Hey buddy, Please stop shitting on the OP and his thread. It needs to get fixed some unless you are a AK-smith. or a buyer please just STOP....

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey buddy, Please stop shitting on the OP and his thread. It needs to get fixed some unless you are a AK-smith. or a buyer please just STOP....

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:27:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Update:
The buyer decided to keep the rifle and they will fix it after some cash back.
Thank you for all the advice.
Lesson learned for all.
The hive never let's you down.
Thanks,
Larry O M. . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top