Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 7:45:00 AM EDT
Sorry, no links. Just wondering if you guys are supporting this.

There very recently was a double murder of two University of Florida Students in the Ocala National Forest, both students were 22 years old, a male and a female and the male was an ex-U.S. Marine.

They were both murdered by some idiot with an AK-47 who, when apprehended, gave his motive as, "I just wanted to know what it was like to murder a couple of people."

Had either one of the UF students been armed, they could have killed their attacker as each was shot >10 times to finally kill them since the perp was such a poor shooter.....

I would not think twice about protecting myself or my loved ones from an animal like that....  

Actually, as a result of these despicable murders, there is no a bill in the Florida Senate to allow firearms for self defense in our National Forests:

Taken from Ocala Star Banner:

"A 19-year-old from Largo, Leo Boatman, was arrested for the murders. He was described as a man who wanted to be a serial killer and allegedly went to the forest specifically to kill."

:Baxley said Boatman went to the forest "because he knew there was a prohibition against them having any kind of self-protections."

"The bill was amended last week to require that weapons in state and national parks must be kept in vehicles. So far, there has been little opposition to the bill."

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Bout time.  Just goes to prove that by denying the lawful carry of firearms for self defense, the only one with guns will be the dirtbags intent on commiting crime against the defenseless.

Haven't heard anything about the bill, but if I do, I'll definately be sending a boatload of emails to my representatives urging the support of the bill.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#2]
See If I can find some info. Im ALL for it
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's where the bullshit gets even stinkier.

"The bill was amended last week to require that weapons in state and national parks must be kept in vehicles.

The bill was most likely amended to eliminate CCW from the bill.

Horseshit. Concealed carry would have saved this couple. Having to retreat to your vehicle in order to retrieve the weapon fails in providing law abiding citizens the necessary protections which this bill obviously hopes to serve.

Criminals win....AGAIN!!!!!

HS1
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

"The bill was amended last week to require that weapons in state and national parks must be kept in vehicles.

Horseshit. Concealed carry would have saved this couple. Having to retreat to your vehicle in order to retrieve the weapon fails in providing law abiding citizens the necessary protections which this bill obviously hopes to serve.

HS1

+1

We camped near there a couple weeks after they were butchered.

They would have had a 7 mile hike to get to their weapon in their vehicle.

Lambs to the slaughter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry .gov, but If I'm in the big woody-woods I'm packing a weapon, you can kiss my ass and sue me later.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

HS1

and what fucking good does it do if you 7miles off the beaten path? you gonna run 7mi and run back?wtf over
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sorry .gov, but If I'm in the big woody-woods I'm packing a weapon, you can kiss my ass and sue me later.

Absolutely right.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely right.

Damn Right!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely right.

Damn Right!

Fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

HS1

WTF!!!. Most times, I leave my CCW in the car when I DO go camping jus incase johnny ranger comes upon my camp. Like others have stated WTF good does it being in my car. Fucking unreal.

Criminals 1 , Law bidding citizens 0
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely right.

Damn Right!

Fuck yeah!

It's been my SOP for years.

What nobody knows won't hurt anybody until necessary.

HS1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I would never carry protection in the woods!! That's just insane.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Just a quick update.  There are two bills, one in the Senate, one in the house.

Link ---> House Bill

Link ---> PDF Committee Revision

This version provides the the weapons at all times be in the possession of a responsible party OR properly secured in a vehicle or temporary housing (cars, rv's, campers, tents or other enclosed structures)

Link ---> Senate Committee Revision

Essentially proposes the same thing.

Both are currently in committee.

(edited for spelling)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#14]
it looks like for the most part, its approved of in the house bill. unless i read it wrong.
so what happens next?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Let's all flood the senate and  house with emails demanding support.

In the meantime, mind the old saw: "Rather to judged by 12, than carried by 6." Keep your heat under cover unless it becomes absolutely necessary to show it.

Save your ass and worry about the law later.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

HS1

That's not what I read in the above linked bills in house or Senate. According to the linked bills above, carried on responsible person i.e. CCW holder, in Car, Tent etc. is ok in these bills.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HS1

That's not what I read in the above linked bills in house or Senate. According to the linked bills above, carried on responsible person i.e. CCW holder, in Car, Tent etc. is ok in these bills.

After reading the final version of the bill, I am pleased to learn that the rights of law abiding citizens have been heard and properly administered to this bill by the state to take effect on October 1st 2006.

Pack heat legally and watch your six. Refuse to be vicitims.

HS1
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#18]
So what can we do. Does it extend the right of open carry we have for hiking, fishing, etc: in certain areas or is it just "in our tent" or "vehicle"

ETA Looks like we can open carry like we would while camping or fishing in any other aree. since I am a "Responsible Person" etc;

Hopefully this (and it seems so) would allow carrying of a long arm for hiking/primitive camping activities, if NOT I got my Glock HK Fo-Tay
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:49:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Comments by Criminal Justice Committee:

As noted above, the FWCC currently has a rule prohibiting persons from possessing any gun on any
WMA during any period in which hunting by the use of a gun is prohibited unless otherwise authorized
by permit from the executive director. Because all National Forests in Florida are also WMAs, the
FWCC rule would apply in National Forests.
Thus, even though the bill has the effect of removing the
firearm prohibition in regards to National Forests, people would still be prohibited from carrying firearms in WMAs (and therefore National Forests). In order to effectuate the purpose of the bill (i.e. remove the prohibition on carrying firearms in National Forests), the bill should direct the FWCC to amend its rules (e.g. the bill could direct the FWCC to amend its rules to allow firearms in WMAs that are also National Forests).

The FWCC reports that, effective July 1, 2006, an amended version of its firearms rule will take effect.
The amended rule would allow persons with concealed weapons permits to carry firearms in WMAs at
any time. This amended rule would still conflict with the provisions of the bill in the manner described
above.

It should be noted that repealing the statutes and rules prohibiting persons from carrying firearms in
National Forests/WMAs and state parks does not mean that persons will automatically be able to
openly carry weapons in such areas, carry concealed weapons in such areas without a permit, etc…
The laws that apply to the carrying, use, etc… of firearms would apply
(e.g. section 790.053, F.S.,
prohibiting persons from openly carrying firearms, would apply; s. 790.06, F.S., requiring a permit to
carry a concealed weapon, would apply and require anyone in a National Forest/WMA or state park to
have a permit to carry a concealed weapon).

It should also be noted that the bill does not affect the provisions of 36 C.F.R. 261.10(d), discussed
above, relating to the discharge of a firearm in a National Forest.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Oh mercy sakes.  I wouldn't do that!  Oh no, not me I wouldn't, I wouldn't...

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Comments by Criminal Justice Committee:

As noted above, the FWCC currently has a rule prohibiting persons from possessing any gun on any
WMA during any period in which hunting by the use of a gun is prohibited unless otherwise authorized
by permit from the executive director. Because all National Forests in Florida are also WMAs, the
FWCC rule would apply in National Forests.
Thus, even though the bill has the effect of removing the
firearm prohibition in regards to National Forests, people would still be prohibited from carrying firearms in WMAs (and therefore National Forests). In order to effectuate the purpose of the bill (i.e. remove the prohibition on carrying firearms in National Forests), the bill should direct the FWCC to amend its rules (e.g. the bill could direct the FWCC to amend its rules to allow firearms in WMAs that are also National Forests).

The FWCC reports that, effective July 1, 2006, an amended version of its firearms rule will take effect.
The amended rule would allow persons with concealed weapons permits to carry firearms in WMAs at
any time. This amended rule would still conflict with the provisions of the bill in the manner described
above.

It should be noted that repealing the statutes and rules prohibiting persons from carrying firearms in
National Forests/WMAs and state parks does not mean that persons will automatically be able to
openly carry weapons in such areas, carry concealed weapons in such areas without a permit, etc…
The laws that apply to the carrying, use, etc… of firearms would apply
(e.g. section 790.053, F.S.,
prohibiting persons from openly carrying firearms, would apply; s. 790.06, F.S., requiring a permit to
carry a concealed weapon, would apply and require anyone in a National Forest/WMA or state park to
have a permit to carry a concealed weapon).

It should also be noted that the bill does not affect the provisions of 36 C.F.R. 261.10(d), discussed
above, relating to the discharge of a firearm in a National Forest.

Im suprised they can do that. Florida has a clause where State Law cannnot be superceded by anyone IIRC
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#22]
it does just make sense to be able to carry a fire arm while in the woods, you never know what you will find. If i am not mistaken, this double murder was only 10 or 15 miles from where the guy shot the cop last year when they came to his house. i think it was in Paisley
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top