Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 2:45:03 PM EDT
I am looking to get into some kind of shooting competition.  I would really like to start doing some CMP or NRA type events but I can't seem to find any going on in Central Florida near Orlando.  

Anyone know of a club or range that regulary participates in these events?

I just want to get involved and learn more and improve.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Check Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club (I think www.cfrpc.org or .com). They are the most active near Orlando. Down near Moss Park/Lake Nona area. Also check Seminole County Gun and Archery Association in Geneva (www.scgaa.org or .com). I think they have some shoots too, just not as often. Heck, I'm a member there and I don't remember.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:03:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am looking to get into some kind of shooting competition.  I would really like to start doing some CMP or NRA type events but I can't seem to find any going on in Central Florida near Orlando.  

Anyone know of a club or range that regulary participates in these events?

Titusville Rifle and Pistol Club has IDPA, IPSC and NRA matches. Check the website for details.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]
www.scgaa.org is a very good range.
I am not a big fan of the Titusville Rifle Pistol Club
There is a range in Palm Bay (if you don't mind the drive) which holds a Class III shot once a month and they may hold other matches there as well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]

I forgot to mention one more item.....
Practice, Practice, Practice.....

One thing to keep in mind, these matches are great for meeting knowledgable people and gathering tips, but for the amount of time you spend at the matches one does not really get to do much shooting.
So, check out the matches to gather good tips and info, but nothing will help you improve more than to get to the range and practice, practice practice....

I think you may find some others on this board that like to shoot and could meet up at a range for some blasting.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I know the Wyoming Antelope Club www.antelopeclub.org in Pinellas County (TPA-clearwater area) has a very active NRA HighPower group that competes all over the state.

They even have a private section of the range to practice HP shooting (100 yd using reduced size targets).
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:10:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been to scgaa and it is a very nice range, but on their calendar it looks like they don't do much besides the silouet shooting as a regular event.  The range is fairlyclose to where I live but I can't afford to join and then have to join somewhere else to shoot in the monthly competitions.

Or do I have to join another range to compete?  Can I do most of my practice at scgaa and then show up and pay an entry fee at the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club to shoot in weekend events?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
From my past experience when there is a "match" the gates are usually opened and "guest" come in and pay a fee per match.

Some (not all) ranges do allow to pay a "per day" fee to do open shooting.

I understand about having to pay membership for two ranges can be a pain, but sometimes it can be worth it.

Maybe pay a membership for just one range (which ever you like the most) and hook up with members of other ranges as a guest.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Every competition I've shot at has been open to non-members. Usually it was just a couple bucks more on the registration fee. SCGAA has a public day (free) the first Sunday of each month, though it is very crowded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top