Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 5:24:51 AM EDT
I am thinking of leaving the Republik of New Jersey and moving to Southeast Florida. We have very strict gun laws here can you tell me about yours
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
We're full now, can you check back later for vacancies?

Just kidding. How does Florida compare to New Jersey with gun laws? Let's just put it this way, you're gonna be broke trying to keep up with your shooting buddies down here. No mag restrictions, no silly "Assault" weapon bans, and Class III is a-ok. I'm referring to NE FL, but I'm sure SE FL has pretty much the same deal, except it's a lot more crowded and more expensive.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#2]
PLenty of land for great prices here in north florida and the traffic is good. Full auto is welcome. You will be kicking yourself in 5 years why you moved to south florida when you could own alot more in north florida

Slug-O
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#3]
stay in Nfla....you'll be better off there
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
go away,,, we have enuff northern folks

dont move  farther south than  oakhill
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not trying to talk you out of moving here, but you might want to consider a few things, like heat and humidity in the summertime, hurricanes, insurance costs (homeowners) and some really big mosquitos. On the other hand, our gun laws are great, at least at the moment. My uncle used to be the CLEO in Edison and whenever they would come down here all they would do is complain about the heat.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Just one more Northener won't hurt, will it?  I want  a place with freedom to own and shoot my evil rifles, and a place to ride my Harley.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just one more Northener won't hurt, will it?  I want  a place with freedom to own and shoot my evil rifles, and a place to ride my Harley.

Picking off motorcycle riders is a hobby in south Florida.  Honestly.  The old folks can't see you.

Stay out of Tampa, too.  It's just as bad here.  That's why I'm going to Alachua.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Come down here, housing is expensive and theres way too many old people!
I live in Fort Lauderdale and really love the weather, theres really no big seasons... Only summer and Spring in my opinion!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the suggestions.  Coming down in May to look at some properties.  I was looking towards the south because my father lives in Delray Beach, and my fiancee' is from Puerto Rico and likes the hot weather.  I am looking for cheaper property taxes,  year around riding weather, and better  pro gun living.  Florida fits the bill.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I would recommend looking anywhere near I-10 (which is the entire Northern part of the state) and maybe as far down as Ocala. You can always drive a few hours and visit South Florida anytime you want. The Northern part is still reasonable with mostly rural areas, a lot less crowded and sprawled out than down south (Jacksonville still isn't bad compared to down there).  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
AVOID Tampa PERIOD, maybe even most of S. Florida.

N Fla is the way to go IMO
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
well it cant hurt to have 'one' more pro-gun voter....

one question: can you drive the speed limit (or even over it) ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Whats a speed limit?  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Jake. Moved down here from Hunterdon County. Everything you've been hearing is right on the mark. The heat and humidity is probably the worst thing for a northerner to get used to. Driving is a real experience. Speed limits are fine but the older drivers can be a problem. BTW I am 64. I was here 3 months and I got my first speeding ticket-90 in a 75. CCW is a little pricey but no hassles. Most things cost about the same as up north. Depending on where you want to live real estate prices could kill you. I live in SW Florida and if I had to move here today, I wouldn't be able to afford it. No problem with finding a place to shoot. Give me a holler if I can help you about relocating.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1 BIG TIME!!

If not for already being set here with the job and house, I'd move North of Gainesville.........
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Very lenient :)

5-day wait on all firearm purchases unless you have a CCW permit. (For ARs, it would be the lower receiver only of course)

No mag restrictions.  No assault rifle bans.

Basically anything is legal except class III firearms, unless you have the proper paperwork of course :)

No emissions either
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#17]
One correction-Florida law specifies a 3 day waiting period. Also, there are situations where the 3 day waiting period does not apply even without a CCW. Please see Florida gun laws.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks for the suggestions.  Coming down in May to look at some properties.  I was looking towards the south because my father lives in Delray Beach, and my fiancee' is from Puerto Rico and likes the hot weather.  I am looking for cheaper property taxes,  year around riding weather, and better  pro gun living.  Florida fits the bill.  

Boynton Beach (one town north of Delray), west of I-95 is the best real estate deal in the area near Delray. By far. Message me if you'd like more info.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Come down here, housing is expensive and theres way too many old people!
I live in Fort Lauderdale and really love the weather, theres really no big seasons... Only summer and Spring in my opinion!

You left out HURRICANE season..............

But I'll take that season over WINTER.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

5-day wait on all firearm purchases unless you have a CCW permit. (For ARs, it would be the lower receiver only of course)

Basically anything is legal except class III firearms, unless you have the proper paperwork of course :)

No emissions either

Huh? There's no 5 day wait on firearms. The wait is three days for handguns (unless you have the CCW), and there's no waiting period for long guns. Plus, IIRC, you are allowed to purchase long guns from states bordering FL.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No emissions either

Huh? There's no 5 day wait on firearms. The wait is three days for handguns (unless you have the CCW), and there's no waiting period for long guns. Plus, IIRC, you are allowed to purchase long guns from states bordering FL.

Some counties have opted for the 5 day wait option in the law.

I believe Palm Beach is one of those counties.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 BIG TIME!!

If not for already being set here with the job and house, I'd move North of Gainesville.........

Same here, until then I'm stuck in Tampa
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#23]
When I make the move, do I have to transfer my guns using ffl's?  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No emissions either

Some counties have opted for the 5 day wait option in the law.

I believe Palm Beach is one of those counties.

Oh, didn't know that. Wow, that sucks.

As far as moving down here with your stuff, I think all that it requires is tossing it in the back of the family car and driving on down here with them. However, I'm sure there are some FFLs that would love to  take you money.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#25]
The wait periods apply to handguns, not long guns. Some counties have enacted a 5 day period, mostly in south FL, but the statutes only authorize a THREE day wait.

Any county or city that has a wait on long guns is in violation of state pre-emption law (the state occupies the whole body of firearm regulation).

Florida Statutes  www.leg.state.fl.us

790.33  Field of regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted.--

(1)  PREEMPTION.--Except as expressly provided by general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or regulations relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances are hereby declared null and void. This subsection shall not affect zoning ordinances which encompass firearms businesses along with other businesses. Zoning ordinances which are designed for the purpose of restricting or prohibiting the sale, purchase, transfer, or manufacture of firearms or ammunition as a method of regulating firearms or ammunition are in conflict with this subsection and are prohibited.

(2)  LIMITED EXCEPTION; COUNTY WAITING-PERIOD ORDINANCES.--

(a)  Any county may have the option to adopt a waiting-period ordinance requiring a waiting period of up to, but not to exceed, 3 working days between the purchase and delivery of a handgun. For purposes of this subsection, "purchase" means payment of deposit, payment in full, or notification of intent to purchase. Adoption of a waiting-period ordinance, by any county, shall require a majority vote of the county commission on votes on waiting-period ordinances. This exception is limited solely to individual counties and is limited to the provisions and restrictions contained in this subsection.

(b)  Ordinances authorized by this subsection shall apply to all sales of handguns to individuals by a retail establishment except those sales to individuals exempted in this subsection. For purposes of this subsection, "retail establishment" means a gun shop, sporting goods store, pawn shop, hardware store, department store, discount store, bait or tackle shop, or any other store or shop that offers handguns for walk-in retail sale but does not include gun collectors shows or exhibits, or gun shows.

(c)  Ordinances authorized by this subsection shall not require any reporting or notification to any source outside the retail establishment, but records of handgun sales must be available for inspection, during normal business hours, by any law enforcement agency as defined in s. 934.02.

(d)  The following shall be exempt from any waiting period:

1.  Individuals who are licensed to carry concealed firearms under the provisions of s. 790.06 or who are licensed to carry concealed firearms under any other provision of state law and who show a valid license;

2.  Individuals who already lawfully own another firearm and who show a sales receipt for another firearm; who are known to own another firearm through a prior purchase from the retail establishment; or who have another firearm for trade-in;

3.  A law enforcement or correctional officer as defined in s. 943.10;

4.  A law enforcement agency as defined in s. 934.02;

5.  Sales or transactions between dealers or between distributors or between dealers and distributors who have current federal firearms licenses; or

6.  Any individual who has been threatened or whose family has been threatened with death or bodily injury, provided the individual may lawfully possess a firearm and provided such threat has been duly reported to local law enforcement.

(3)  POLICY AND INTENT.--

(a)  It is the intent of this section to provide uniform firearms laws in the state; to declare all ordinances and regulations null and void which have been enacted by any jurisdictions other than state and federal, which regulate firearms, ammunition, or components thereof; to prohibit the enactment of any future ordinances or regulations relating to firearms, ammunition, or components thereof unless specifically authorized by this section or general law; and to require local jurisdictions to enforce state firearms laws.

(b)  As created by chapter 87-23, Laws of Florida, this section shall be known and may be cited as the "Joe Carlucci Uniform Firearms Act."

790.0655  Purchase and delivery of handguns; mandatory waiting period; exceptions; penalties.--

(1)(a)  There shall be a mandatory 3-day waiting period, which shall be 3 days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, between the purchase and the delivery at retail of any handgun. "Purchase" means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer. "Handgun" means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver. "Retailer" means and includes every person engaged in the business of making sales at retail or for distribution, or use, or consumption, or storage to be used or consumed in this state, as defined in s. 212.02(13).

(b)  Records of handgun sales must be available for inspection by any law enforcement agency, as defined in s. 934.02, during normal business hours.

(2)  The 3-day waiting period shall not apply in the following circumstances:

(a)  When a handgun is being purchased by a holder of a concealed weapons permit as defined in s. 790.06.

(b)  To a trade-in of another handgun
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like Palm beach county is in violation of the pre-emption law, someone should call 'em on it
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sounds like Palm beach county is in violation of the pre-emption law, someone should call 'em on it

No they're not.

Florida State Constitution:

SECTION 5.  Local option.--

(b)  Each county shall have the authority to require a criminal history records check and a 3 to 5-day waiting period, excluding weekends and legal holidays, in connection with the sale of any firearm occurring within such county. For purposes of this subsection, the term "sale" means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration for any firearm when any part of the transaction is conducted on property to which the public has the right of access. Holders of a concealed weapons permit as prescribed by general law shall not be subject to the provisions of this subsection when purchasing a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No they're not.

Florida State Constitution:

SECTION 5.  Local option.--

(b)  Each county shall have the authority to require a criminal history records check and a 3 to 5-day waiting period, excluding weekends and legal holidays, in connection with the sale of any firearm occurring within such county. For purposes of this subsection, the term "sale" means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration for any firearm when any part of the transaction is conducted on property to which the public has the right of access. Holders of a concealed weapons permit as prescribed by general law shall not be subject to the provisions of this subsection when purchasing a firearm.

Well this comes out of Chapter 790,   790.33. Looks like there is a conflict in the Constitution and the actual laws on the books. Never had heard of anywhere having the five day waiting period on all firearms. Interesting.

2)  LIMITED EXCEPTION; COUNTY WAITING-PERIOD ORDINANCES.--

(a)  Any county may have the option to adopt a waiting-period ordinance requiring a waiting period of up to, but not to exceed, 3 working days between the purchase and delivery of a handgun. For purposes of this subsection, "purchase" means payment of deposit, payment in full, or notification of intent to purchase. Adoption of a waiting-period ordinance, by any county, shall require a majority vote of the county commission on votes on waiting-period ordinances. This exception is limited solely to individual counties and is limited to the provisions and restrictions contained in this subsection

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I moved from Jersey years ago and glad I did. A lot more toys available to play with down here.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Kissfan- can you be more specific about what part of the Florida Constitution you got this paragraph from. I can't seem to find it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Kissfan- can you be more specific about what part of the Florida Constitution you got this paragraph from. I can't seem to find it.

It is Article VII, Section 5, subsection (B).

I had never noticed it before either, it is down under the rights they give local governments. The law says the the waiting period cannot exceed 3 days but it looks like the Constitution gives counties an option. I guess the Constitution trumps Chapter 790.33.

Here is the link:

www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?Mode=Constitution&Submenu=3&Tab=statutes&CFID=628545&CFTOKEN=18750822#A08S05
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 BIG TIME!!

Same here, until then I'm stuck in Tampa

Why does Tampa suck so Bad?

I know it sucks but I can't put my finger on an exact reason...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:31:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

no. there not changing ownership... just pack them w/ you.. there is NO "registration" in fla.

if your a goodguy your treated like one in fla..

also class three are ok in fla..
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:35:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Why does Tampa suck so Bad?
I know it sucks but I can't put my finger on an exact reason...

1) Yankees
2) Foreigners
3) Traffic

First, I'm not prejudiced but these are the issues.

1) The Yankees want to make Tampa a 'mini NYC'.  They want the .gov to work 'just like it did up north'.
They are totally ruining everything we've had here since day 1.  I've been here since 1974.

2) You walk into a WalMart or other store and the cashiers jabber to one another in Spanish or other non-local language.  Now I don't give a crap whether that's your lingo or not, but when you come to a country you SPEAK THEIR LANGUAGE.  PERIOD.

3) The traffic here just sucks.  I live 8 miles from the airport.  On a normal work commute day the drive is 45 minutes!  It's insane.  Local .gov has ZERO CLUE how to handle the infrastructure.

FOUR MONTHS TO GO...   Alachua county (way out of town) here I come !
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no. there not changing ownership... just pack them w/ you.. there is NO "registration" in fla.
if your a goodguy your treated like one in fla..

also class three are ok in fla..

Just keep in mind that a LOT of local CLEOs will NOT sign off on a class 3.  That's definitely true in Hillsborough and Alachua county  

So, look for the Florida thread on local signoff and learn about creating your own trust to get around it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top