Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2003 12:45:41 AM EDT
No more reading of the Miami New Times, piece of shit liberal rag that they give away. They write an article called Sunshine and Bullets. Just if you are a gunowner you know what you can do legally as a gun owner. For example, they use the term machine guns, I live in Dade county and I know there is no such thing as being able to buy a Class 3 weapon. Just plain untruths. http://www.miaminewtimes.com in case anyone wants to read this anti-gun bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
No more reading of the Miami New Times, piece of shit liberal rag that they give away. They write an article called Sunshine and Bullets. Just if you are a gunowner you know what you can do legally as a gun owner. For example, they use the term machine guns, I live in Dade county and I know there is no such thing as being able to buy a Class 3 weapon. Just plain untruths. http://www.miaminewtimes.com in case anyone wants to read this anti-gun bullshit.

I didn't read the article and perhaps they're misrepresenting what a machine gun is - as many in the media do - but you most certainly can buy and sell Class 3 weapons in Dade County and all of Florida.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#2]
They lead people to believe that if you go to a Gun Show...you can simply attend a class and have a CWP the same day...to bypass the waiting period. Obviously, they missed the fact that a CWP can take up to 90 Days...alot longer than the 5 Day waiting period.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't read the article and perhaps they're misrepresenting what a machine gun is - as many in the media do - but you most certainly can buy and sell Class 3 weapons in Dade County and all of Florida.

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Chetchat: As a dade county resident I cannot own a Class 3 weapon. My source was Only the Best firearms. They might be bought and sold in Dade but as Dade co. residents we cannot own one. The New Times article made it seem we can walk into any gun store or gun show and walk out with a machine gun (Class 3) or anti-tank weapon. If you can prove different, please show me!
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Cobra-AK, I own an M-16 that I purchased from a gent in Alabama. I'm in the process of transferring a fully automatic Powder Springs MAC 10/9 and suppressor that I own to a Broward resident. I own a sawed off shotgun. I own or have owned silenced pistols, rifles, submachine guns, and assault rifles and if I had the financial resources could own a mini-gun, .50 BMG or 20mm anti-tank gun.

I'm currently and have been a lifelong Miami-Dade resident. I'm a regular civilian. There is no federal or Florida law against owning these weapons. If there are no restrictions against your buying or possessing a handgun - if you're not a felon, can pass a background check, etc. - then you can buy and possess NFA weapons here in Florida.

I suggest you visit here :
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=14

As I said, I understand that the article misrepresented certain aspects of weapons and how to acquire them - liberal rags like to do that to scare the sheeple and ignorant.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Chetchat, I stand corrected! If you don't mind me asking was it a CLEO that signed for you? What route did you take to get the transfer approved? Thanks because I want to make that investment!
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
This link should answer most of your questions :

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=158292

After that just ask on the NFA forum any other specifics, most of the answers are there :)
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#7]
 We'll see if this gets published...

My letter to this rag, regarding their rag's distortion of FL's Concealed Weapon or Firearm License requirement:

I am writing to respectfully demand a retraction and correction of your July 10th “Sunshine and Bullets” article.  

I know that you are free to write with an openly anti-gun slant in every single article, but you have a journalist’s duty to verify information before passing it off as factual.  

I find regrettable that your articles often grossly distort, and intentionally avoid, factual data.  Specifically, in your July 10th article, you write about getting a concealed weapons license from a gun-show for $35.  This is prima-facia absurdity-the FL Department of State Division of Licensing (FLDOS) is the issuing authority for such licenses, not the gun-show.  Furthermore, completion of a training class is meaningless, without completing the rest of this lengthy and expensive process.  

Your source of ‘fact’ in that article was not only absurd, but was actually laughable.  Do you always report the patently false word of idiots as “fact,” without any attempt at researching it?    

Here are some of the requirement for obtaining a concealed weapons license, direct from the FDOS's website (http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html):
§ Read and study the copy of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes.
§ Have a passport-style, color photograph made.
§ Get verification of training that satisfies the training requirement. (The $35-50 gun-show class that you erroneously refer to as the issuing authority)  It should be noted that military service or a hunter’s safety class may substitute for this class.
§ Get certified copies of court documents relating to any criminal charges against you, if any.
§ Take the fingerprint card to a local law enforcement agency and ask to be fingerprinted.
§ Complete the detailed, two-page application.
§ In the presence of a notary, sign application.
§ Submit non-refundable payment for the license fee of $117 to FLDOS.
 Assuming this information is correctly submitted, all applicants will still wait at least 60 days, and sometimes over 90 days, to receive her license in the mail.  

For your further information, FL's over 319,190 (as of 6/2003) Concealed Weapon License holders are among the most law-abiding and respectful citizens to be found anywhere, committing less crime as a group, on average, than even off-duty police officers.  I know that fact bothers radical gun-phobes, but it's true.  Please, give these lawfully armed civilians their due respect for responsibly exercising their 2nd Amendment rights.  

You would also do well to contact an NRA media consultant- the service is absolutely free.  They will give you unbiased, factual data and descriptions of the weapons and related jargon that you obviously have such a poor grasp of.

Please educate yourself by contacting FDOS and NRA; please take the time and effort to learn the unbiased facts about lawful firearms use.  True journalistic integrity demands nothing less than a retraction and full written correction for the July 10th article.  Of course, my suggested pre-emptive research and education will avoid the need for future retractions and corrections.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top