Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2003 5:58:40 PM EDT
I took my 8 y/o son to the Ocala National Forest range today, the one off Forest road 88 which is off State Road 40.

Not a bad little set up there, just not very big and limited to 100 yards.

Anyone go there often to shoot AR's?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I make it up there every once in a while - it's a little far since I'm in Tampa, but I use it as an excuse to take a camping trip up to the Forest.  I like the fact that it is unmanned with no one telling you only one shot every two seconds.  What fun is that with an AR?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I know what you mean.  There was an elderly gentleman there picking up brass and I believe that he sells it to others.  He did mention a few times to myself and others about not shooting at anything but targets hanging on the target holders as the "man" will come by and cite you for shooting at anything other than a paper target.

I can understand and support the rules that state no glass etc, but you should be allowed to shoot at cans or clay targets placed on the dirt bank so long as you clean up as you go.  But according to him, it's paper targets only.

Then again, rules are rules and with places to shoot getting harder and harder to find, better respect the rules.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been wanting to go camping/shooting up there for a while now.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I have seen some hinky shit at that range, just watch yourself.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
That range scares the shit out of me.  I've gone down range when the line was cold to get a target frame and had someone pick up a lever gun and was pointing it down range.  I'm yelling at him and he looks at me as if I'm stupid.  I had just started working for the SO here and was issued a brand new SIG220.  Went to put some rounds through it and this guy did this.  I don't go there much anymore since I've found other places to go.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I go there when I camp in the forest and I agree that some scary types show up every now and then.  The man did come by once and RAISED HELL.  He kicked some people off the range and yelled at almost everyone.  It was like the boot camp scene from Full Metal Jacket.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#7]
My experiences echo those of our fellow members. I have seen some unsafe practices indeed, so watch your six! The rangemaster can be a dick, but, in the end he has every reason to be. People go there, guns pointing in all directions (loaded or unloaded, point that mother downrange!) and they spray bullets all over the place, mowing down trees (look at the treeline behind the backstop) and they leave their brass and trash all over the place! One fella was shot while he was downrange b/c some motherf**kers decided they didn't care about what "cold range" meant. Next time any of you see the rangemaster, try and talk to him, you'll likely agree with his angles. Your top priority should be letting the Rangemaster know that you're one of the good guys, not some unsafe, brass-dumping, rule-breaking bafoon! I live in Gainesville and now I make the trip to Lake City b/c I feel safer there. There is also 3 ranges separated by concrete, which allows for cold ranges to be executed much easier. It is much simpler to get 4 guys to quit shooting than it is to stop a line of 12 fools with guns! Lake City also has one 300 yard (?) range and two 25 yard (?) ranges. Sorry, I haven't measured them myself!
Play safe,
B9
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I went out there a week or so ago and there was a group of oriental folks out there.  One of the guys had an SAR-1 and was dumping 30 round mags like there was no tomorrow.

Now that in and of itself did not bother me...what did bother me was the fact that he was spraying the entire area...15 yards...50 yards...100 yards...I mean everywhere, including my damn target at 100 yards.

I was not pissed off at him necessarily, I was pissed off at the "white guy" who by the looks of things was "coaching" them on shooting and firearms.

After going down range and seeing first hand that he had struck my target, I politely requested that their "sponsor" give them all a quick overview of range manners.

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My experiences echo those of our fellow members. I have seen some unsafe practices indeed, so watch your six! The rangemaster can be a dick, but, in the end he has every reason to be. People go there, guns pointing in all directions (loaded or unloaded, point that mother downrange!) and they spray bullets all over the place, mowing down trees (look at the treeline behind the backstop) and they leave their brass and trash all over the place! One fella was shot while he was downrange b/c some motherf**kers decided they didn't care about what "cold range" meant. Next time any of you see the rangemaster, try and talk to him, you'll likely agree with his angles. Your top priority should be letting the Rangemaster know that you're one of the good guys, not some unsafe, brass-dumping, rule-breaking bafoon! I live in Gainesville and now I make the trip to Lake City b/c I feel safer there. There is also 3 ranges separated by concrete, which allows for cold ranges to be executed much easier. It is much simpler to get 4 guys to quit shooting than it is to stop a line of 12 fools with guns! Lake City also has one 300 yard (?) range and two 25 yard (?) ranges. Sorry, I haven't measured them myself!
Play safe,
B9

I think they're 200 yards for rifle and 50 yards for pistol on the lake city! But anyhows, there's a great group (Friends of the Oceola) that show up at the range to clean, build target stands, yard work and even monitor the on-goings!

They've had their share of idiots/problems at lake city, but I think most have been scared off!

They now have signs posted with several phone numbers (ie; game wardens station) posted on who to call if there are idiots on the range!
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know of a good longer distance range nearer Tampa?  I live in Clearwater and there just isn't much there.  I know about the Wyoming Antelope Club, but haven't been out yet.  Plus, I seem to vaguely remember someone telling me that they are one of those 1-shot every couple of minute ranges.  Also know about Hernando County Sportsman Club, but that is an hour and a half north of me.  Anything else worthwhile that has something farther than 50 yds?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Manatee Sportsman Club and range 500yards, and fairly new.  Nice setup about 20 miles east of I-75 off of Highway 64. Black Rifle friendly

Knight's Trail shooting range and trap, Sporting Clays, etc.  Only 100 yards for rifle but a really nice SG setup, and they don't ind black rifles.  I-75 just east off old exit 35A, then North on first (And only left) left and about 1 mile north to a sign, then back west to range.  It's also a sheriff's range.  I like this facility.

I live on St. Pete Beach, and it's about 45 minutes for me to either Knights, or Manatee club.

In Clearwater on US 19 South of Ulmerton, you Knight's Shooting Sports, indoor facility.  I have not shot there, but I know you shoot up to .50BMG.  I've heard bad things about RO's there, but really have no personal knowledge.  Suppose to be a state of the art firing range.

In St. Pete, if you just want to shoot pistols, I would suggest St. Petersburg Police Pistol Club, at 13th Avenue, and 19th Street North.  It's just off I-275, and it used to be the police range.  Ex COPs run it, and they are pretty cool, as well as knowledgeable.  I see LEO's shooting in there a lot, and it's pretty reasonable for me, as well as easy to stop off during lunch or early weekend mornings. A great range in my opinion

WAC can be anal, or not, depending upon RO's, and they do not allow anything but slow fire.  But then again, they are in the middle of our Metropolis, and very accessible.  Mostly a good bunch of guys.  100 yard range, max.  They have talked about a 200 yard range, but I have seen nothing recently
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#12]
What City is the Manatee facility in?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(red]Osceola National Forest Range

I think they're 200 yards for rifle and 50 yards for pistol on the lake city!  correct, Sir.  Two 50 yard pistol pits, and a 200 yard rifle range. But anyhows, there's a great group (Friends of the Oceola) that show up at the range to clean, build target stands, yard work and even monitor the on-goings!

They've had their share of idiots/problems at lake city, but I think most have been scared off!

They now have signs posted with several phone numbers (ie; game wardens station) posted on who to call if there are idiots on the range!

Take your fishing rods and maps.  I caught a 9'11# and a 6# bass in pits within a couple miles of the range in January 1997, on the same day...  my bithday.  The perfect present...                                     They're still there, only bigger.  Catch and release......

Watch out for the idiots on the range.  I was at the Osceola Range a few years ago, patterning ratshot through a P90.  I had a couple of milk jugs, and a full edition of the Lake City Ripsnorter and Fishwrap.  

When I got there, there was a HUGE man, with his big 16 year old son, proofing a pistol they had just gotten back from the smith.  Neither looked like anyone I would ever want to fuck with, no matter what I was packing.  They were both very cordial. They were both wearing overalls..  Plenty of room for extra mags...  And some of the best people I could ever hope to run into.  "Want to try out my pistol?", just after he had shot 2 cylinders into the head.

Damn good folks. Offered to let me shoot their pistol.  I declined, after looking at the headshot grouping on their 25 yard target.

Sadly, there was a dumbass on the range...  He was "patterning a shotgun".  He staggered up to us, obviously damn near drunk, and asked "Whatcha shooting?"

The big man offered   "A .22""

Dumbass "Can I shoot it?"

Big man "No"

Dumbass, asking "Bigman's 16 year old son", "Can I shoot it?"

16 yo Bubba "No, you can't!"

The dumbass came over to me and asked "Whatcha shootin?"

"A .45 full of ratshot"

"Can I shoot it?"

"No."

Range was cold, so "Otis", and "Big Man" went to tack up targets.  As "Big Man " was tacking up his target...... BOOM.

Otis torched off his 12 gague, and my new found friend wasn't too happy about it.

Unsupervised ranges have their god points, and bad points.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What City is the Manatee facility in?

Mailing address is Myakka City, but here's their WEB Site

www.manateegunclub.8m.com
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#15]
BigGuns,

Thanks for the info.
Got to become a member, keep forgetting to check posts!  Ask questions and never remember to look for the answers.
Sounds like both of those ranges are great, but looks like at least an hour and a half for me. Doable, but still pretty far.
I've shot at Knights.  Nice place, clean, nice show room.  The ROs are hit and miss, probably like in most places.  First time I went there was a guy there that was kind of a jerk.  Second time I took my wife and mother and the guy that was there was great.  Only 50 yrds on the rifle side though.
For pistols I usualy go up to Firing Line in Port Richey.  Not the prettiest place around, but great people and cheap: $10 all you can shoot. About a 30-40 minute drive for me.  Knights is nicer, but considering it costs $12 per hour I tend to stick with Firing Line.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:07:31 AM EDT
[#16]
We have finally begun the construction of our new home.  I have already had a 30' wide 5' deep slightly angled from about 35yards out inward as my own "range" so I wont have to go put up with stupid crap anymore.  I will line the walls with cross ties and the back stop will have replacable cross ties to catch the bullets, this will prevent the wall from falling in over time.

I can back up almost 100 yards and build a covered shooting area with a nice solid bench for rifle work.  After a little landscaping, grass, etc, I should have a right nice little private facility.

Due to the lay of the land, natural barriers, forest, etc, and shooting toward the backstop, noise should not be a problem as the closest neighbor in about 150 to 200 yards away, and that is just one house.

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Sadly, there was a dumbass on the range...  He was "patterning a shotgun".  He staggered up to us, obviously damn near drunk, and asked "Whatcha shooting?"

Shotguns are not allowed at the Lake City range

As I'm quick to point out as I'm one of the RO's there...

Dirk
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Shotguns are not allowed at the Lake City range

As I'm quick to point out as I'm one of the RO's there...

Dirk

They were a few years ago.  They even had a wide frame all the way to the right on the righthand pistol pit marked "Shotgun Only".

Seems things have changed for the better.  I never saw a RO but once in the 4 years I lived there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top