Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2002 6:15:36 AM EDT
Dealer at a gunshow had what appears to be a original German manu G3, dressed up with aftermarket accessories and marketing as an
original PSG-1 with a Springfield scope and claw mount for $3,500. Is there a way to verify via markings on the reciever? I own 2 SW-3's, and have read up on the G3 series from the Century Crap to the quality originals that sell for about 2-3k, and think this guy is trying to scam. The PSG's run around 9-10k, and he played this one off that he couldn't sell it on-line for his asking price, so he brought it to the show.

Link Posted: 12/21/2002 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Kinda confused by what your asking.. but uh a PSG1 wouldn't have a claw mount... see here www.hkpro.com/psg1.htm
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll narrow it down for you.

What does a PSG-1 have by the way of proofmarks and/or lettering stamped into the reciever that would confirm its authenticity, v.s. an original German manu G3.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
first off.. the PSG-1 won't have any iron sights at all... it will have a longer barrel.. and it will be marked PSG-1 and not anything else.. also.. look to see if the slots on the receiver sides have been filled in.. HK welds strips of steel in these slots to re-enforce the receiver to reduce flex, and the barrel will be of a heavier bull barrel contour than a regualar barrel and NO flash suppressor at all, and the front handguard is VERRY different
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#4]
PLUS!!!!! accordin to my sources.. there are less than 50!!!! REAL PSG-1's in the country.. at $14,000 per rifle (new) i can see why someone would try to pass off a G3/91 as one
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If he was really selling a PSG-1 for 3500 he's stupid.. they usually run for 12,000! It was a hoax
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#6]
$3500 is reasonable for a decent PSG-1 clone, like a HK91 converted by RJ Vollmer or Investment Grade Firearms.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Not only are the real PSG1's 12,000+ the one I played with did not shoot for shit.  I would not hold under a inch at 100 yards.  12k for a gun that was being out shot by a $800 AR.  And no it was not the shooter's. We switched shooters around and who ever was on the PSG1 scored lower every time.  Could have been a fluke but I will never look at a PSG1 the same way again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
The poor accuracy of the PSG-1 isn't an uncommon complaint.  I've never shot anything better than a 1.4" group with a PSG-1 (marginally better than my HK91 with a Henscholdt scope) but I've also only run 20 rounds of Black Hills 168-gr down range with one.  My match guns (Springfield M1A and Rock River AR-15) easily hold sub-minute.  Talking with other shooters who've experienced the PSG-1, all seem to have common experiences, even with some decent match ammo.  From the technical side of it, it might have something to do with the design of the gun--it simply can't go sub-minute.  Like other HK 90 series products, it's essentially a delayed blow-back gun.  To assist extracting, the chamber is fluted to reduce some of the post-firing "squeeze" of the brass to assist in floating the brass out of the chamber.  In essence, you reduce the tightness of your chamber and leave an area for variation in pressure that's going to affect the velocity of your round.  Variation in velocity equals a variation in accuracy.  This is why match chambers in most rifles are very tight.  This tightness in semi-auto battle rifles however, is generally accepted as a bad thing as it detracts from reliability--if it's tight to begin with, dirt will make it even tighter and may even cause it to fail.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I did see some PSG-1 parts kits for sale with a fully detailed picture in the shotgun news. they probably went fast and I dont know who was selling them. basically they got here like our cetmes and spanish G3's with the reciever cut. the kit included the cut rifle in the case with all accessories and optics for $1900. to see such a dreamy weapon cut in half is heart breaking but I pondered the idea of one of these fine pieces quality assembled on a inspected/x rayed century reciever. how sweet would that be. It raised some questions. Q:Could I afford a PSG-1 for $12K? A:probably if it were the only thing I wanted very badly. Q:Do I have the abilities to shoot beyond the capabilities of a century recievered rebuilt/fake PSG-1? A: probably not (lets be honest) Q: do I care if people know its not a real one and that its not as valuable? A: not really, it will eventually valuate just like everything else we buy. Q:do people who own real PSG-1's go shoot them all the time without fear of wear, scratches, beating on it? A:who cares Q: has someone else gotten this same idea and now they are available for like $3K? A: well sounds like it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top