Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2002 2:20:24 PM EDT
HK94's and their varients, SP89/MP5/K, are expensive as hell. So tell me guys, what makes it worth it? What guns are priced to be more of a bargain than others?

I've been looking around at the Bowers Subgun board, HK94's going for $3500 for 90% to $4100 for mint. SP89's were going for $3500-$4000. A SP89 strecth (mp5 barrel, no stock, transfers as a pistol) is not moving at $4500.

Sears are $5k. Registered or converted nfa's go for $9-12k. But one is going for $8-something and is not selling?

So I don't think I understand what affects prices for these guns. COuld you guys explain it to me?
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 4:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
$550 when they were brand spanking new -12 years later, $3,000 for one used. Paying over $800 for a 9MM rifle is just not something I can live with. SP89 is a nice pistol but for $3,500. I can two MK23's.

What effects the price is two things, they are all pre-89 (no more) and the Mp5 is now the most popular design for swat teams and CQB work. That is what drives the market even further into obscene prices.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoa, hold on.  You use the SP89 and HK94 interchangeably.  They are two totally different animals.

IMHO, neither is useful without a sear pack.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Before the 94 ban the SP89 was around 950 bucks NIB and would have been a helluva lot more useful then than now.. If I ever bought one i'd SBR it and buy a MP5K stock for it then put a sear pack in it.. that's the only way..
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#4]
i speak of them interchangably, because if I get one I can have RJV convert it to the form I want. Isn't that right?

Edited M to V. Doh!
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:42:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw a hk94 5.56 at the gun show this weekend for $2400. I tried to do a trade for my preban m4, so I could sell the HK and make some cash, but he like me needed money for xmas and wasnt interested in a trade.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#6]
D'oh! $2400! I wish I had been there!

Edited to add: I didn't see the 5.56 in the prior post.  Was this an HK53 SBR?
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#7]
5.56 HK94?? hmmmm.. odd
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember selling SP 89's when I worked at a gunshop in 1990.  As I recall they were pushing a grand back then.  I never understood just what you were supposed to do with the thing.  To big for any kind of pistol work. To small for anything rifle related.  As far as converting to SBR or an auto sear, forget it.  Not legal in Iowa.

We sold a few 94's back then.  I think I sold the same one two or three times.  It kept coming back in on trade.  I'm sure it was fun gun to shoot, the long barrel just made them look goofy.

Both have always struck me as over-priced toys.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  If I had the money I'd have lots of overpriced toys.  But I don't so I can't.  

As far as prices its the usual pre-ban there aren't anymore of them combined with the high original price and relative rarity.  Even in the good old days,  94/SP89's were scarce and expensive.  Hell all of the H & K stuff was that way.  Had to be an approved dealer to sell them and H & K was kind jerk to deal with in that regard.  Couldn't advertise at anything other than full retail.  We could lower the price once the customer was in the store but could only quote full msrp over the phone.  And H & K would check on that.  Some dealers lost there H & K's because of weird stuff like that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I didnt shoot it or anything but it wasnt a 91 nor 93, and it had the small mag well(not a 9mm),and a retractable stock. The barrel didnt seem long enough to be a 91 or 93.
          FREE

Quoted:
D'oh! $2400! I wish I had been there!

Edited to add: I didn't see the 5.56 in the prior post.  Was this an HK53 SBR?

Link Posted: 12/14/2002 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Purely as a toy, spend as much as you like.  It really doesn't matter at that point.  My problem with both is that if you want your gun to have SHTF use, neither the 94 of 89 is worth a damn.  Pistol caliber carbines are great entry guns but are useful for nothing else.  Well, nothing that can't be better done with a rifle, handgun or shotgun.  For that matter, they are only marginally better than a shotgun as an entry gun.  So unless you can picture a need for rescuing hostages from a building populated with terrorists, figure out how much a toy is really worth to you and go enjoy the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I've heard rumors of H&K building a factory in the US. Now imagine this: H&K builds a factory in the US. The '94 Ban sunsets and is not replaced. H&K builds US-made HK-94's with all the "evil" features, totally circumventing the '89 Import Ban. What an imagination I have! It could happen though if everything fell into place, I guess. I'll be surprised if the '94 Ban sunsets though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#12]
If HK didn't open a US factory post-89, why will they now?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If HK didn't open a US factory post-89, why will they now?

I'd heard they're picking up some more DOD contracts, and the DOD wants a US factory like Berretta has.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top