BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Im tempted to do the same with mine, so I understand your pain!  Is that the bipod from RTG parts?
View Quote
Yes. I don't have actual H&K to compare it to but the quality seems solid for what it is....a metal bipod... I had the price point wrong, though, $79, even better deal.  So...I need to go ahead and buy the rubberized charging handle for $10.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes. I don't have actual H&K to compare it to but the quality seems solid for what it is....a metal bipod... I had the price point wrong, though, $79, even better deal.  So...I need to go ahead and buy the rubberized charging handle for $10.
View Quote
Are the RTG bipods pained black or black parkerize?
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im tempted to do the same with mine, so I understand your pain!  Is that the bipod from RTG parts?
I got the same bipod, I'm happy with it.  I do need to do another lower though, but it works and I'm lazy.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I got the same bipod, I'm happy with it.  I do need to do another lower though, but it works and I'm lazy.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/11092/C93t__2_-804239.jpg
View Quote
It looks like you broke off the ear on the lower where the pin would be.....just like I did.
That thing got so thin and then the endmill cutter grabbed it a little too aggressively and snapped it right off. I still have 3 more lowers to work with though, so I have 3 more chances to get it right.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:38:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parkerized, definitely not black paint.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:01:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It looks like you broke off the ear on the lower where the pin would be.....just like I did.
That thing got so thin and then the endmill cutter grabbed it a little too aggressively and snapped it right off. I still have 3 more lowers to work with though, so I have 3 more chances to get it right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/11092/C93t__2_-804239.jpg
It was a really tight fit, and I was tired of filing.

I'm not going to bother trying to pin the next one, just cut off the ears nicely.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone get the clear mke polymer mags to fit? Any filing needed?
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone get the clear mke polymer mags to fit? Any filing needed?
View Quote
Earlier in the thread it was reported they take some filing to get to fit. I wasn't able to track any down to find out for myself
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:25:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Parkerized, definitely not black paint.
View Quote
Ok cool thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:18:45 AM EDT
[#10]
On these builds by ptr, is it a hit or miss using real HK mags or other manufacturers using HK tooling to build their HK/magazines?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I received my $10.00 HK Rubberized G3 cocking handle from RTG and can confirm 100% that it works with this gun. I'd say it even unlocks better than the contract HK33 handle I had but it might just be because it's a little beefier but it feels smoother to me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I received my $10.00 HK Rubberized G3 cocking handle from RTG and can confirm 100% that it works with this gun. I'd say it even unlocks better than the contract HK33 handle I had but it might just be because it's a little beefier but it feels smoother to me.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/65327/20190111_151557_jpg-809846.JPG
View Quote
Did you have to modify the German HK mag?....or did it fit with no problems
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Did you have to modify the German HK mag?....or did it fit with no problems
View Quote
Fit with zero issues
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well you sold me on one at least.

I placed an order for it as well as MKE HK33/93 recoil assembly and HK ejector spring. I'm pretty sure the recoil spring on mine is a bit weak as it fails to fully close the bolt on a full mag often (gives me a reason to use the bolt carrier serrations which works pretty good ) plus the plastic guide rod ring is pretty worn out on one end. Recoil was pretty erratic as well with a few shots being pretty soft but the rest fairly harsh compared to my other 5.56 rifles. Taking apart the guide rod assembly looks pretty tedious just to replace the spring which is why I am just buying a new complete assembly. The ejector spring is just a 'might as well' thing and gives me an excuse to take apart the fire control group.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
For Shot Show 2019 I wonder if PTR will have PTR 93 on display? Show starts on Jan 22nd. Someone will have to check their booth for us.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Just passed 500 rounds with mine and it's been 100%.  I did the 10.00 rubberized handle and replaced that huge rear sight windage screw with a normal phillips type.  Also bought one of the HK parts clipped/pinned 49.95 'used' G3 lowers.  Turned out to be a nice rifle for the money, no odd wear and the finish holds up great.  Last time I was at the retail store a couple weeks ago they were all gone.  Gunbroker prices are nuts on these lol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#17]
@Jagrmaister you installed one of the 4 pack lowers from apex right? Any problems getting it to fit? I've got mine fitted without the trigger pack in the housing, but when I put it in the rear seems to be  binding on something but I can't tell what
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@Jagrmaister you installed one of the 4 pack lowers from apex right? Any problems getting it to fit? I've got mine fitted without the trigger pack in the housing, but when I put it in the rear seems to be  binding on something but I can't tell what
View Quote
Just keep filing the "ears" and the little "notches" on them. Mine kept binding and the rear  of trigger housing would not seat due to it but all of the bind is up front with the clearance of those ears. At least with mine that was the case. As soon as I filed the literal shit out of them the trigger housing installed and seated correctly. My rear tab is incredibly tight with the MP5 collapsible stock and I have to "pinch/ clasp it with my hand" all while giving a few love taps with my rubber hammer. Then it seats perfectly.

Note/Edit: I'll have to look at which trigger housing was the pain. I installed them on both a 9CT and the 93. One required virtually no work and the other was a saw fest with a file. Can't remember but same thing happened to me either way on one of them with the binding issue not allowing the rear to seat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just passed 500 rounds with mine and it's been 100%.  I did the 10.00 rubberized handle and replaced that huge rear sight windage screw with a normal phillips type.  Also bought one of the HK parts clipped/pinned 49.95 'used' G3 lowers.  Turned out to be a nice rifle for the money, no odd wear and the finish holds up great.  Last time I was at the retail store a couple weeks ago they were all gone.  Gunbroker prices are nuts on these lol.
View Quote
So was it just placebo for me or does the HK cocking handle feel smoother to you too?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:12:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone by chance know the thread pitch of these barrels?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:11:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does anyone by chance know the thread pitch of these barrels?
View Quote
Mine was 15mm, AFAIK. I bought a 15mm YHM Turbo adapter and it fits.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:07:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Mine was 15mm, AFAIK. I bought a 15mm YHM Turbo adapter and it fits.
View Quote
Ok cool thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, barrel threads are 15x1 right hand. HKparts sells virgin PTR HK33/93 barrels and lists some of the specs (4140 steel, 1/9 twist).
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Out of curiosity, has anyone seen an AR15A1 or A2 style flash hider in the 15X1 thread? I've got a Griffon M4sd that mounts to such, but not sure where I'd get one made.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:48:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, has anyone seen an AR15A1 or A2 style flash hider in the 15X1 thread? I've got a Griffon M4sd that mounts to such, but not sure where I'd get one made.
View Quote
If you figure out a person to do it, I'd be in for two. I've been looking for 2 years with no luck.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Couldn't you guys take 1/2x28 flashhiders and rethread them to 15mm....assuming theres enough meat there to do it
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Couldn't you guys take 1/2x28 flashhiders and rethread them to 15mm? I bet Morgan would do it.
View Quote
Everyone I asked said no. They told me I'd have to find an unthreaded A2 flashhider. Something about the tolerances.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Installed the $10 HK rubber charging handle, MKE 33/93 recoil assembly, and a new ejector spring today. The charging handle pin was pretty tight and took more than a few good whacks to knock it out and knock it back in after reinstall. My bolt gap was 0.019 previously but now its up to 0.021 due to the new charging handle I'm guessing. Unlocking the bolt wasn't any easier but it wasn't any harder either with the new handle. The new MKE recoil assembly probably negated any "improvement" in that regard. Not sure when I will get to test fire the gun due to work, weather, and all that jazz.

But other than maybe a spare extractor spring or two down the line I think I am finally done spending money on this gun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Installed the $10 HK rubber charging handle, MKE 33/93 recoil assembly, and a new ejector spring today. The charging handle pin was pretty tight and took more than a few good whacks to knock it out and knock it back in after reinstall. My bolt gap was 0.019 previously but now its up to 0.021 due to the new charging handle I'm guessing. Unlocking the bolt wasn't any easier but it wasn't any harder either with the new handle. The new MKE recoil assembly probably negated any "improvement" in that regard. Not sure when I will get to test fire the gun due to work, weather, and all that jazz.

But other than maybe a spare extractor spring or two down the line I think I am finally done spending money on this gun.
View Quote
Wait....the charging handle affects the lockup?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#31]
yea if the charging handle swap affects the bolt gap it is no good. you should have .015 gap on the cocking tube support to bolt.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Hmm, makes me wonder if my rifle had little to no cocking tube gap in the first place. I took a closer look at the cocking tube support and it has a lot of peening going on but it also looks like it was welded on previously. Both the old and new charging handles met resistance right away trying to unlock as well. Probably also explains why I was getting various amounts of recoil at times when I shot the rifle.

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#33]
YIKES.  Pull the cocking handle/support out and measure the bolt gap. then compare to the number with the handle support . if it changes then yea not good. I see they did mod the support,  It isn't going to hurt to grind down the suport to get the cocking tube gap ok if the bolt gap is ok without the support in.

I take it this is a C93 century build?
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
YIKES.  Pull the cocking handle/support out and measure the bolt gap. then compare to the number with the handle support . if it changes then yea not good. I would have hoped they modded the  support if anything but that bolt carrier is a hot mess.

I take it this is a C93 century build?
View Quote
There is no bolt carrier in the picture, did you mean cocking tube support? The bolt carrier itself is in good condition were it meets up with the cock tube support and looks unmolested. This is a PTR built C93 that I got in October last year.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Yea I got confused at the orientation.   I would test the bolt gap without the support in.  (to unlock the bolt take a flat blade screwdriver and stick it int he area that you measure bolt gap in and wack the screwdriver with a hammer.

If they built it it should be ok.  But I am not a trusting soul.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yea I got confused at the orientation.   I would test the bolt gap without the support in.  (to unlock the bolt take a flat blade screwdriver and stick it int he area that you measure bolt gap in and wack the screwdriver with a hammer.

If they built it it should be ok.  But I am not a trusting soul.
View Quote
I just ended up grinding back most of the weld on the cocking tube support and hand filed it smooth and flush. My charging handle now has a little bit of play before it meets resistance and when the bolt carrier is forward there is a little bit of play on the cocking tube support. My true bolt gap is now 0.010 (out of the box "new" it was 0.020 which I now know was false). I haven't measured cocking handle unlocking-to-resistance nor have I done the "dime test" but just eyeballing it and feeling the difference before and after I think its good enough for now. There is still weld material on the cocking tube support that can be filed down further if need be.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Bummer that PTR would have sent out a gun like that. Glad I build my own LOL.  good you have it set now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Bummer that PTR would have sent out a gun like that. Glad I build my own LOL.  good you have it set now.
View Quote
Thanks for the help! (and everyone else that mentioned the issue)

Incoming life story alert!

Its been a learning experience at least and probably a little bit of karma. I was pretty impatient waiting for the rifle (and said so often and loudly) after Bud's Guns Shop shipped 50-100 guns to random people in August and not adhering to their 'first come, first serve' queue line. It took roughly 2 more months before they started shipping guns again and I was nearing my 90 day full refund date when I finally got mine. The only mag that fit was the aluminum 40rd, the two steel HK 30rd mags wouldn't lock in, and the 20rd Promag required filing (normal). Got the HK mags to seat and release by brute forcing the mag into the gun repeatedly. First time out at the range I had about 10 failures to eject out of 110-120rds fired. My extractor spring was bent and the extractor pocket was filled with crusty carbon build up so I bent the spring back into shape and cleaned out the crud. I had installed a clipped & pinned navy SEF trigger housing so I thought the ejector might have been at the wrong position too. Filed the trigger housing to fit better over the shelf welds and put the ejector in a little better position. Second time out, I had zero failures to eject with both the Century and Navy SEF trigger housings and 90rds fired.

After all that I decided to install a paddle mag release by myself, with zero experience, and various internet guides. It worked out in the end, a little sloppy but functional. Third time out at the range I had one or two failures to eject (installed a new extractor spring afterwards) but I was also noticing the recoil being somewhat random in strength by then. I figured I should replace the recoil and ejector springs too but I shelved that plan (due to getting a couple more new guns to play with) until a few days ago which lead to this cocking gap issue popping up. And now its looking like I'll have to order some +size rollers to get my bolt gap closer to optimal measurement.

Edit: Forgot to mention the rear sight mount screw was stripped as well so I replaced it along with adding a philips head HK windage screw.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#39]
You are within specs now just keep an eye on it.  On a new build we shoot for .015 -.020 but hk specs are .004"-.020"   see if it settles at all before spending more on it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Everyone I asked said no. They told me I'd have to find an unthreaded A2 flashhider. Something about the tolerances.
View Quote
I was considering the other way, sending the gun to Adco to see if they could weld up the threads and rethread to 1/2X28, but not sure it'd be doable or that I want to put the money into it. I don't think it'd hurt the resale if I get bored with it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Clipped it today.  It will be easier the next time and cleaner as I messed up a bit but you have to look hard to see the issues.

Link Posted: 1/24/2019 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I COULD BE WRONG, but I believe the charging handle can keep the bolt carrier from going fully into battery if it hits the block in the end of the cocking tube before the bolt fully closes. You are supposed to have a dime thickness gap, I believe.
View Quote
Okay, makes more sense now, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So was it just placebo for me or does the HK cocking handle feel smoother to you too?
View Quote
Yes it does, but now I am having FTE issues and also bent an extractor spring.  It used to eject about 20' away at around 2 o'clock and now its all over the place.

I dont have the rifle with me now but I think the new HK handle took away any gap. I am going to check with the old handle when I get a chance.  Rifle has been flawless until I changed the cocking handle.  Good thing I checked back here, never would have guessed that handle would have caused an issue but it makes sense if its not letting it lock up all the way.

edit: There is about a .030 gap with the HK handle so thats not the issue.  Think it may be an ammo issue, I picked up a battle pack of PPU 55gr and its pretty weak.  Put a quick 20 rounds of the federal I have been using and its ejecting consistent again.  Not sure why it bent the ejector spring, case must have pushed it over on a FTE.  My bolt gap is holding strong at .020, I'll report back after another 500 or so rounds.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Dbl tap
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Clipped it today.  It will be easier the next time and cleaner as I messed up a bit but you have to look hard to see the issues.

https://i.imgur.com/JJTgAFj.jpg
View Quote
Did mine last week

Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm thinking about selling mine. I've had it for a month, but I haven't shot it.  For whatever reason I haven't felt the urge to take it to the range.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about selling mine. I've had it for a month, but I haven't shot it.  For whatever reason I haven't felt the urge to take it to the range.
View Quote
PM me if you do decide to sell.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
You should go shoot it. They are fun shooters. I was really impressed. I think I'm a roller lock fanboy now. But if you do sell out me in line behind realwar
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#49]
What ammo are you guys feeding your PTR C93's? I haven't had a chance to take mine out yet but have seen a couple of references to trouble with brass (I think American Eagle) and success with steel. Are you guys seeing that too? I've got some AE, IMI, and Wolf Gold - all brass and 55gr - that I can take out with me the first time. Wondering if I ought to try to pick up some steel to throw into the mix (maybe Silver Bear?) if it's expected to function more reliably. I didn't see much discussion of ammo choice here, so thought I'd get some input from other owners.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#50]
It should shoot brass fine it is just very hard on it if you reload.  (softer brass may have some extraction issues as it flows into the fluted chamber more,  that's why if a gun is having issues with brass folks say to try steel cased. ) the french Famas, also fluted only used steel cased ammo evidently.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top