BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The ugly ass rail kills it for me. I want no rail.
View Quote
I’ve got a short MFI Mount that straddles the ejection port on my reverse stretch. I’m constantly hitting the optic with my hand while charging the gun. Going to buck the trend and say PTR got the rail right. Move the rail and optic further aft and away from the charging handle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is literally priced $1000 higher than their .308's just because they think they can sell for that much?
With PSA also building an American made MP5 clone for $1000 less this was a waste of PTR's time at the price they came up with. They will sell so few once PSA's come out that this will be a big waste of their time and money.
If they would have priced them similar to the .308 this could have been their biggest item and made them a lot of money. Instead of pricing them fair they decided to stick it to the customer and waste everyone's time.
What a disappointment!
View Quote
If you think you can undercut the market on roller
locked with no parts kits deals, we’ll wait for your entry into the market.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I’ve got a short MFI Mount that straddles the ejection port on my reverse stretch. I’m constantly hitting the optic with my hand while charging the gun. Going to buck the trend and say PTR got the rail right. Move the rail and optic further aft and away from the charging handle.
View Quote
I don't have that problem on my full-size Zenith and B&T Aimpoint mount. Personally, I wouldn't buy a HK clone with a welded rail unless it was how HK made it originally. I'm not a purist, I just like the fact that there are many more options in optics and mounts to choose from with the detachable rails/mounts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't have that problem on my full-size Zenith and B&T Aimpoint mount. Personally, I wouldn't buy a HK clone with a welded rail unless it was how HK made it originally. I'm not a purist, I just like the fact that there are many more options in optics and mounts to choose from with the detachable rails/mounts.
View Quote
PTR has had no problem selling HK91 clones with welded rails. On a MP5 clone, the weight savings vs a detachable is a big selling point as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

PTR has had no problem selling HK91 clones with welded rails. On a MP5 clone, the weight savings vs a detachable is a big selling point as well.
View Quote
Sure, people spending $900 might be more inclined for a cost savings optic mount. However, there is a sizable difference between the welded rails of a PTR 91 vs 9mm.

Having more options to mount an optic (or have a cleaner looking without one) is a bigger selling point, to me, than the few ounces saved by have a tiny welded pic rail near the rear sight.

Either way, PTR will have no problem selling these guns as they are currently shown if they run well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their rifles have full-length rails. Their 9mm in the photo does not. If the 9mm had a full-length rail, I wouldnt complain. But as I like my red dot mounted over the ejection port, I cant mount it there, with their current rail. Either give me full rail and let me pick the spot, or no rail and I will choose my own mount.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
At the moment, I personally prefer no rail on my MP5s, but I may chose to run a red dot with a mount at some point. What I don't understand in PTR's case is, it appears from the pictures, that the rail is just long enough to prevent the ability to mount a B&T type mount over the ejection port, in essence locking you into mounting your red dot where PTR R&D wants you to mount it.
I agree Gopherboy128, PTR would've made a better move by either going with a full rail like Dakota Tactical does or no rail at all. That being said, if the actual street price meanders to $300 cheaper and the gun runs like a scolded dog, the rail will become a non issue for people who want one. I'm not in the market, just my .02
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Their rifles have full-length rails. Their 9mm in the photo does not. If the 9mm had a full-length rail, I wouldnt complain. But as I like my red dot mounted over the ejection port, I cant mount it there, with their current rail. Either give me full rail and let me pick the spot, or no rail and I will choose my own mount.
View Quote
x2. That rail is in the wrong spot and wrong length. A full size rail would of been a better option or none at all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 2:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Guys, you really need to relax about the rail.
View Quote
If by 'relax about the rail' you mean 'don't buy one', then Ok.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
x2. That rail is in the wrong spot and wrong length. A full size rail would of been a better option or none at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly this!

I'm sure with the passage of time, we'll eventually see a Classic model sans rail, and a model with the proper length rail too.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top