Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2017 9:20:50 PM EDT
"Built" a 10.5 in KISS Ar carbine. That covered me for 5.56. Now I need to check 308 off the list.Some flavor of .308 Ar would be the obvious and easy choice, but large receiver Ar's just don't do it for me. M1A is blah. FALS are better, but those sweet sweet wood furnitured HK 91's really trip my trigger. Alas, I know nothing of HK 91's or there clones. Where should I go. What should I do? You tell me. I'm currently a man of limited mean in the first year of a trade apprenticeship so the option of building is appealing. Yet from what I gather this would be an actual build and of what difficulty I don't know so here is what I want.

1-4x or 1-6x scope and whatever that entails.
Wood furniture.
Mag release? I'm seeing stuff about paddles.
Minute of man accuracy at 500yards.

So where do I go? What do I do? What do I buy? Guide me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have always heard the G3k size is perfect for the .308 roller lock.  Will need to form 1 it though.

Or get an MR762 but you said no AR.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Mark Grahm of ARS built this for me a couple years ago. It got delivered 2 days after my right shoulder surgery.  Took about 3 months to recover and I fired it with my sear pack.  Perfect.

I like and can handle the full size G3 FA well and this was a treat.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I like FAL's better. Much nicer gun all around than a .308 HK IMO.

Building an HK will cost more than a PTR pre-built most likely.  Building an HK is not like an AR, it requires welding etc.
Building an HK is not a home job unless you are a gunsmith and even then you must have experience welding. Not all gunsmiths can even work on HK's, it is a specialty field. Adding a paddle mag is something many guys can manage themselves and you may consider trying but building a HK91 clone from a kit is not an easy thing to do without experience.  Building a FAL from a kit is similar to an AR and is basically just an assembly job if you decided to go that route.
Century C-308's will be the least expensive if you really want an HK .308 roller lock. A PTR is a little more expensive than a C-308 but it is closer to a HK91 clone. The Century clones are clones of an CETME that is similar to a HK91 but is an earlier version that has slight differences.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I understand the love for FALS. They are cool. However I've got a n itch for a 308 rollerlock and only one thing will scratch it.

How is the accuracy from the shorter guns? How will they preform at distance.

Is there any welding required if I buy a receiver and not a flat?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is there any welding required if I buy a receiver and not a flat?
View Quote
Still needs welding even if you buy a receiver.  It's not a lego gun like an AR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top