Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2017 12:13:58 AM EDT
Looks like it is a fully welded suppressor that fits over the barrel - strikes me as a little odd given the need to clean the sd suppressor every few hundred rounds - super sweet how short it is though.    Thoughts?

Silencerco Omega 9SD Suppressor
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#1]
$1000 for an SD can that can't be cleaned?  Wow, cool, someone buy one and share your regret with us.  

I'd rather wait until TPM (or someone) makes one for $600.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
AAHHHh why why I just talked myself out of building a MP5sd.... This is making me want one again.... aahhhh I can feel my wallet burning and my ears ringing from my wife asking me what the hell I need another mp5 for? haha because they are awesome...

I can not see in the manual if has the expansion chamber? It is so short I wonder if it still has the gas reduction chamber at the base of the barrel were the ports are to bring the projectile to subsonic before it leaves the barrel? I will have to call them unless someone on here knows?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AAHHHh why why I just talked myself out of building a MP5sd.... This is making me want one again.... aahhhh I can feel my wallet burning and my ears ringing from my wife asking me what the hell I need another mp5 for? haha because they are awesome...

I can not see in the manual if has the expansion chamber? It is so short I wonder if it still has the gas reduction chamber at the base of the barrel were the ports are to bring the projectile to subsonic before it leaves the barrel? I will have to call them unless someone on here knows?
View Quote
ask her why she has more then one pair of heels or flats or purses....
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#4]
It doesn't look right at all, way too short.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks stupid.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:07:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is so short I wonder if it still has the gas reduction chamber at the base of the barrel were the ports are to bring the projectile to subsonic before it leaves the barrel?
View Quote
It doesn't sound like it. Did you see the section on sonic crack in the manual? They would not have included it if it bled off gas to reduce the velocity below the sound barrier.

I think it would be awesome on a K-SD!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It doesn't look right at all, way too short.
View Quote
...and that's the important thing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It doesn't sound like it. Did you see the section on sonic crack in the manual? They would not have included it if it bled off gas to reduce the velocity below the sound barrier.

View Quote
It does. Look at the photo- baffles dont start until 3/4 the way down, there's a big expansion chamber where the ports are and then it necks down to baffle diameter.

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It does. Look at the photo- baffles dont start until 3/4 the way down, there's a big expansion chamber where the ports are and then it necks down to baffle diameter.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/19765254_1447462521977912_8757221042738429952_n.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-sjc2-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/19765254_1447462521977912_8757221042738429952_n.jpg
This. They have boilerplate language about sonic crack in every manual.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Looks like it is a fully welded suppressor that fits over the barrel - strikes me as a little odd given the need to clean the sd suppressor every few hundred rounds - super sweet how short it is though.    Thoughts?

Silencerco Omega 9SD Suppressor
View Quote

We had several factory MP5SDs and would just periodically tap the cans to knock out the carbon.  I don't believe they were able to be taken apart. Im not arguing...just asking for more info and clarification.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't mind the shortness I just want the suppression to be close to the standard. Only reason I wanted a sd was they are so quiet... will have to look into more I guess, the pic above does looks to have the chamber....
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#12]
A solution looking for a problem.  The SD does what its meant to do very well.

Please if you guys see this, please bring back the specwar 556k
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don't mind the shortness I just want the suppression to be close to the standard. Only reason I wanted a sd was they are so quiet... will have to look into more I guess, the pic above does looks to have the chamber....
View Quote
It has to have an expansion chamber.

1. You guys realize there's a barrel in the gun, right? That barrel extends ~5" into the silencer. There's not going to be baffles in that area.
2. Blocking off the barrel ports would be stupid. It would cease to be an SD.

My only concern with this can is cleaning it. The only thing I can imagine is giving it a good bath in "the dip", but I don't know if that would get all the crap out of it or potentially let it settle and create a bore obstruction.

If it can't be cleaned, it doesn't make sense to me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if a nice dip and like a brush that comes in the tavors for cleaning inside the stock would work good for cleaning the baffles? Maybe a bad idea I don't know I just like the compact ness of this can I think I will give one a try guess I can be the test subject for it in a year..
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A solution looking for a problem.  The SD does what its meant to do very well.

Please if you guys see this, please bring back the specwar 556k
View Quote
Just bought one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:41:29 AM EDT
[#16]
watching the video it is really impressive if the info is right it is shorter, lighter, and quieter so pretty much a win win all around.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
watching the video it is really impressive if the info is right it is shorter, lighter, and quieter so pretty much a win win all around.
View Quote
Quieter than what? The ancient design made by HK? Has this can actually been metered next to current silencers?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#18]
are there any industry standards for measuring db?  (indoors/outdoors, distance from shooters ear/action, type of db monitor, etc)

I have a not-too-cheap db meter from amazon but i doubt its up to snuff - happy to post side-by-side results with a TPM in a year when the form 4 comes back.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
are there any industry standards for measuring db?  (indoors/outdoors, distance from shooters ear/action, type of db monitor, etc)

I have a not-too-cheap db meter from amazon but i doubt its up to snuff - happy to post side-by-side results with a TPM in a year when the form 4 comes back.
View Quote
The way i understand it there are only 2 db meters capable of accurately measuring a gunshot, and both of them are over $4000.00.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I was just going off the numbers in the video, when they are shot side by side both cans sound about the same which is way cool since the New one is so much smaller. I do really like the look of the old style can in the SD but keeping to the model that guns are tools I would rather have the shorter OAL. Just me though I am excited to get one and shoot it in 2018...
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just bought one.
View Quote
Where?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#22]
ditto.  from Capitol Armory on a pre-release preorder.    

anyone have any intel yet on whether silencero says we can actually clean these things ourselves?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top