Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2017 10:22:54 AM EDT
Ok so this thread is for my official review of the Omega OM-9D, aka the MP5SD(K) from atlantic firearms. I wanted to make this thread as a more collected group of thoughts than the random ones I posted in their thread.

First off I want to say that I had some issues that I fully blame on my first attempt at clipping my own HK lower.

However, I do want to start off by saying that Omega has amazing customer service, Wade took a phone call after hours and was kind enough to send me a trigger pack and grip assembly for my gun to help me diagnose the issues, that part is arriving today in the mail, so i should have a first shots impression of the gun to add to this thread later tonight.

What is the OM9-D/ MP5SD(K)?

The Omega Om9-D is a receiver for an MP5SD clone, it has a 1.6" inside diameter "Cage" on the forend which gives it the appearence of an MP5SD, however unlike an actual MP5SD this has a MP5K-PDW length barrel inside of the shroud, which is three lugged and threaded on the end, this allows you to run the silencer of your choice (Up to 1.6" in diameter) underneath the handguard. With a Form-1 can diameter of 1.5" (Which is what I am using on mine) This replicates the look of the MP5SD very well, Mine is only 3/16" of an inch longer than an actual MP5SD.

The benefit of this is, you do not need to buy a special MP5SD silencer for your receiver, and wait a year for the ability to shoot it suppressed. You also can get the benefits of supersonic ammo in this configuration, as a normal MP5SD has ports to slow supersonic ammo down to subsonic speed.

The gun comes with a barrel shroud which screws onto a internal threaded, which gives the appearance of a fake silencer, the purpose of this is to cover smaller cans and allow you to have the full look of an MP5SD.

Here is a picture of under the handguard so that you can see the Cage and the Fake can mount.

Guys i will be posting more tonight, am currently at work so its hard to type out everything.

Fit and Finish

The gun arrived In a box, Inside of that box was another box, it was packaged well and inside of the inner box, is a soft case, which contains the Receiver, and the fake suppressor, as well as paperwork for the gun. What is nice that there is a checklist completed by the builder and signed off on, multiple stages along the way. The Case is nice, but a little small, the gun wouldn't fit in it after a stock is (eventually) added unless its an A3 and collapsed all the way.

Looking over the paint and welds, the paint is a little shiny, however its an epoxy paint ontop of Parkerizing. Looking at the welds they look great, the front and rear sight are straight as well, which is hard to do on a these guns due to the many forming processes required to build the receiver, and than getting them aligned ontop of the receiver, but these are Excellent because even some HK's had slightly canted sights on them.

The finish feels durable, if a bit slick, but is very universal and smooth with no runs in the finish.

Here is an example of the rear sight weld.

The bolt fits excellent along the receiver rails, it glides forward and backwards with minimum pressure which is something to watch for when you have the rear cap off the gun as your bolt carrier can shoot out of the gun.

The magazines fit well into the gun, the magwell is very well done and magazines don't stick or wobble too much.

Operation is traditional MP5, so if you're familiar with the controls, this is just the same.

Barrel and handguard

As I said, the barrel is a MP5-K PDW size barrel, with a three lug and 1/2x28 threading on the end. My form 1 can went right on without issue.

You can see the muzzle end here, and further down the cage you can see the fake can mounting.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooting

First I want to say THIS GUN IS QUIET! When firing, it sounds like the bolt going forward, like when you would slap the charging handle, but louder, and than the bullet impact down range. (Using 147 gr Subsonics)

I have a SB tactical brace coming Monday for this gun, so I will be posting accuracy reviews after I get it.

Here are some groups i got from shooting the gun at 15 yards (All i have had time for so far)

Attachment Attached File
(Was getting used to the sights on this one.)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the fake shroud made of aluminum? Does it significantly increase weight or change the balance?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the fake shroud made of aluminum? Does it significantly increase weight or change the balance?
View Quote
The fake shroud is made of steel, its fairly thin walled, so it doesn't seem to add much weight to the gun, this gun is gonna be a bit more front heavy due to the Cage and silencer used.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:41:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Welp, Received the wrong brace from my Dist. So i turned around and ordered the correct one from Optics planet, will update when i actually get it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]
You are now selling that as a complete weapon? Or still just the receiver?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally received my SB tactical brace after it spent a day bouncing around Chicago and than went to the wrong post office when it got to my state!

Link Posted: 7/11/2017 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I just wanted to update this thread, I have only shot the MP5SD once and ended up sending my form 1 can i was using out for a recore to Sirearms. Not because of a baffle strike or anything, but because i felt awful having an 1800.00 upper with a can that was full of .69 cent freezeplugs in it, I will be updating with the shooting review of the guns accuracy when i receive my can back hopefully this week.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Bump, added pics of two targets. Question, since this uses a MP5K length barrel, should i be using a 80 degree locking piece with this since i am shooting suppressed instead of the 100 degree?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]
on atlantic it says they use 18X1 threads. does it have that, or 1/2x28?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Will this upper fit on a Zenith/MKE lower?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Will this upper fit on a Zenith/MKE lower?
View Quote
No, you need a clipped and pinned lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top