Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 12:57:14 PM EDT
I have both that I bought in the late 80's. They used to shoot really well MOST of the time. I would often get 4 nice shots and a flyer.  Many of the groups with hirtenberger ammo were incredible with the 91. Match ammo was exceptional with many under 1 1/2 inches. I got great groups at 200 and 300 also. The 93 would often shoot under 1 inch with good ammo and certain fmj ammo. It seems like the accuracy had started suffering in both before I quit most of my shooting of rifles in mid 90's. I bought two 223 bushmasters recently with one being a varminter. I resumed my shooting and was getting great groups with the varminter and really good ones with the 16 inch. I brought out the H&K's this week and neither one would shoot a decent group. The scopes were tight etc.  I finally got 3 nice groups with the 93 as I was quitting at around 3/4 inch for 5 shots. The next group with different ammo was all over the place.
Any ideas what the problem with them may be?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#1]
no real help from me, except I am looking for a 2nd HK93....so if you want to save yourself some grief.....shoot me a PM :)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Save YOURSELF some Grief. They are going for over $3000+ around here. Especially with the collapsible stock, bipod, magazine connectors and ARMS mount.
JR
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:34:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure that you give it a good cleaning.  My 91 was kind of so-so until about 500 rnds through the pipe, but I had to clean it often.  After that, the need for cleaing diminished and group sizes have stayed around 1" with some Yugo ball I bought in the 80's.  It likes a consistant hold.  Sloppy on the hold gives me sloppy grouping.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Could be part of the problem. I was letting them rest on sandbags with little holding like I do my AR's
JR
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#5]
My understanding on the HK-93 is that the barrel twist was intended
for a lighter bullet than what is used in most 5.56 today.

I think  a 55 grain originally ,and a 75 ? grain today.

If I remember correctly ,the original 93s had a 1 in 12 twist,
and later models a 1 in 9.
Some special ones were made in 1 in 7 .

Changing the bullet weight for the older designs could severely
effect your group size.

I'm not a 5.56 guy ,so I would ask someone more knowledgeable,
perhaps someone in the AR forums would know more about
barrel twist versus bullet weight for 5.56.

All I know about it ,is that someone I shot with had his groups more
than double in size when he used the newer heavier ammo in his 93,
and he said something about this.

I'm all about .308 .
1/12 twist ,145 grain to 175 grain.
I'm not real concerned with what velocity my round will topple at .
If I hit em  ,they're worm food.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Having the same problem with the 91 which is 308 also. The ammo I shot in the 93 was mostly 52 to 55 grain.
JR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top