Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 6:43:15 PM EDT
PTR should be coming soon.  Ordering one of Sarco's $595 no flash suppressor models and having it shipped directly to my smith who's going to turn the barrel down, thread it and finish flash suppressor in gunkote to match the rifle.  Have my Choate/JLD folder in hand and a real HK all metal bipod and wide forearm on the way as well!!!  Can't wait.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
i was thinking about buying one from sorco too but i would like a PTR with a threaded barrel that's a great idea to have the barrel threaded after you get it though.  what kind of job is it to pull the barrel off and put it back after its threaded do you have to check head spaced again.
thanks
DJ

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrat's! That's a great price, you guys are making me jealous. I'm starting to think I paid too much for mine, but what's done is done.
A nice Vortex might look good on that bare barrel. I think I'm going to change mine out as I love the one on my M1A. The quality is excellent and I do prefer the style and no retaining ring unlike the HK flash supressor on my PTR.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:10:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i was thinking about buying one from sorco too but i would like a PTR with a threaded barrel that's a great idea to have the barrel threaded after you get it though.  what kind of job is it to pull the barrel off and put it back after its threaded do you have to check head spaced again.
thanks
DJ

---
+1. That is an excellent question and have been asking myself the same thing.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what all is involved with that.  I'm having a smith do it, I did my AK's but the barrels were on and it just took a die.  He charges $100 to do it but he's going over the entire rifle and supplying the FH and gunkoting it to match, plus that includes shipping to me so that isn't bad.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thanks
DJ

---

its NOT easy, and its NOT cheap

no gunsmith will work on a standard PTR and try threading it...just no way

look over at IGF (investment grade firearms), Jayson has press on brakes and flash hiders for standard PTRs
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
thanks
DJ

---

its NOT easy, and its NOT cheap

no gunsmith will work on a standard PTR and try threading it...just no way

look over at IGF (investment grade firearms), Jayson has press on brakes and flash hiders for standard PTRs

Mine does/will.  It isn't cheap, but he's an excellent smith and you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds as if you will be in it about the same money as a new PTR by the time you are done - bbl. job is difficult because of bbl. being pressed in and headspace issues. Is the PTR a JLD assembled product or a Kit gun assembled by SARCO from JLD receiver and their components ? Look at the B&T scope mount over a HK claw mount - from my experience most PTR's will not work with the claw mount without some "custom" filing on claw legs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll have about $700 in the gun when I'm done, the advantage AS I SEE IT is that my Gunsmith is going to go over the entire rifle while he's at it.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]
klutch or others,
do you know of any other differences between the sarco ptr91 rifles versus other sellers, which are being sold for more?  i know the sarco rifles do not have flash hiders, but is that the only difference?
thanks
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sounds as if you will be in it about the same money as a new PTR by the time you are done - bbl. job is difficult because of bbl. being pressed in and headspace issues. Is the PTR a JLD assembled product or a Kit gun assembled by SARCO from JLD receiver and their components ? Look at the B&T scope mount over a HK claw mount - from my experience most PTR's will not work with the claw mount without some "custom" filing on claw legs.

Which of the Sarco PTR's are "kit guns"?

How do you tell the difference?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:16:25 AM EDT
[#11]
As far as I know it's just the flash hider thing.  Sarco just received 100 of them.  I think SARCO made a deal with JLD to blow the last of the inventory out because JLD is gearing up to release ALL their rifles with the Navy type lower.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#12]
What's JLD's new navy type lower? I'm still saving to buy my ptr 91 is this new style better or should I just buy one from sarco, if they are true JLD's and not a kit. I'm close with my funds and now sarco has them cheaper then Atlantic arms and also this new lower coming out, MAN what to do.
thanks
dj1075
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What's JLD's new navy type lower? I'm still saving to buy my ptr 91 is this new style better or should I just buy one from sarco, if they are true JLD's and not a kit. I'm close with my funds and now sarco has them cheaper then Atlantic arms and also this new lower coming out, MAN what to do.
thanks
dj1075

All JLD rifles are kits to some degree built on their receivers and barrels.  Read the descriptions of each. www.ptr91.com

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
thanks
dj1075hr

The answer is what matters more to you. Sarco may have them cheaper at the moment, but are also selling the older models were as Atlantic Firearms still has great prices and does an excellent job of keeping up on the new models and upgrading themselves besides. It's not just about saving an extra few bucks, but to realize what's more important is what you get in the end. I would buy the exact model you want from Atlantic and just enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Let me correct myself I know there a kit but JLD is giving you all new stuff on there rifle reciever,barrel,grips,etc except where the Law steps in. there not taking a kit like sportsman guide is selling and putting a new JLD receiver on them and calling them new. I think that's what guys are questioning about Sarco for being so cheap their 200 bucks cheaper then Atlantic arms this is just my opinion, Bye no means I'm stating Sarco is doing this. Like in last few post klutch said they bought about 100 rifles from JLD to blow out for new navy style.
I'm just stuck now should i buy one from Sarco or should i what for this new model to come out
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thanks
dj1075

All JLD rifles are kits to some degree built on their receivers and barrels.  Read the descriptions of each. PTR91.com

Made it hot
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Let me say this about Atlantic though.  The only ones they have in stock are the M4 type carbine and the standard rifle.  Plus they charge 3%.  Believe me, I looked at them, I really wanted the R model with the folder and wide handguard.  Nobody has them.  I've got this rifle on order from Sarco, having the barrel threaded, picked up a folder from JLD for $85 on special and bought a factory HK wide handguard and bipod.  I will have just under $1000 when done delivered to my door.  PLUS, an excellent smith will have gone over the entire rifle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, I'm an idiot.  Can someone explain what a "Navy" lower is and why it is better.  Or does it just look different with more of a cool factor?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
OK, I'm an idiot.  Can someone explain what a "Navy" lower is and why it is better.  Or does it just look different with more of a cool factor?

I'd also like to know this. I have seen and know what they look like(plastic), so why is this desirable?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd also like to know this. I have seen and know what they look like(plastic), so why is this desirable?

The polymer Navy lower has a thinner flat style grip and is lighter than the metal lower. It's an advancement of modernization in the HK series rifles that does cut some weight and provide a non-metal non-rusting replacement. I desire it too, of that there's no doubt, it is a thing of beauty.....as simple as that.he

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The polymer Navy lower has a thinner flat style grip and is lighter than the metal lower. It's an advancement of modernization in the HK series rifles that does cut some weight and provide a non-metal non-rusting replacement. I desire it too, of that there's no doubt, it is a thing of beauty.....as simple as that.

But, since I didn't want to pop the big dough for the one's I've seen, I decides to keep the steel lower and put on a now discontinued Falcon Navy style grip to replace the non ambi traditional grip. It does work much better for a lefty and a righty, strong side and weak side shooting and much better with gloves.

Its pretty clear JLD has had to discontinue many of their guns due to the lack of parts, probably from Pakistan.  I'm sure all of the toys with the wide forearms and collapsable stocks will be available soon when there parts arrive
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top