Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 9:43:35 AM EDT
this may have been beat to death but was looking for some .308 surplus ammo .ive seen the post about the S.African ammo and to stay away from it. what other cheap ammo is out there that's O.K. to shoot
thanks
DJ
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.rifle-company.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=431

I have had good luck with the Port (J&G), argy(Widners), and lake city stuff (sportsmans guide)

The SA stuff I have is also clean, mine came from AIM last fall
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have shot a few thousand SA 308 with no problems at all.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
+1   I don't know where you heard the SA stuff was bad, but you heard wrong (unless there's a bad batch out there or something).  Are you sure you're not thinking of the Indian crap that was around not long enough ago?  

I've fired several thousand rounds of SA .308 with not one problem. It's good ammo.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Just get some of the SA from AIM.  It's NOT from the batch with the tar sealant everyone was bitching about.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a bad batch of SA a few years ago after buying my first HK91 clone.  I have been addicted to Port ever since, but it is getting harder and harder to find.  I found some Spanish SB and some Australian recently that isnt bad.  I was at a gun show today and found 500 rounds of loose Israeli stuff that looks pretty good.  I also found 2 battle packs of Port, which made my day.  I will have to try the SA stuff again since it seems to be OK now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:   I don't know where you heard the SA stuff was bad, but you heard wrong

i've  read here that the S.A. ammo had tar as sealer and was not good for your rifle and would cause jams and other problems." i didn't now there were diffrent batches "
dj
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:   I don't know where you heard the SA stuff was bad, but you heard wrong

i've  read here that the S.A. ammo had tar as sealer and was not good for your rifle and would cause jams and other problems." i didn't now there were diffrent batches "
dj

First I've heard of it, and good to know.  All the stuff I've had didn't appear to have tar sealent, but then again, is it obvious visually?  What I have now appears to have some kind of laquer sealent.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
UPS deliverd 980 more rounds of SA from AIM Surplus to
my place last night.

It looks so much better than the Argentine crap I've been
shooting up that it's rediculous.

Last time at the range I had 4 rounds out of 200 of the Argentine completely
fail to fire with heavily dented primers.
The casings look like someone made each individual round in
a midevil setting with stone tools.REALLY rough ammo.
This is the stuff in the lidless boxes.

Compared to the Argentine,the SA shoots like match ammo versus
damp black powder !
Still,if the round fired,my PTR cycled perfectly.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#9]
This week I happen to pick up 150 rounds of swedish 7.62 nato and 450 rounds of MAL. out the door for 22 cents a round. I need to go back and buy whats left. I am holding on to this limited supply I got and hope to build my stash of better quality of surplus ammo. In the meantime I will shoot all the wolf I can find just to plink.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#10]
do people really believe that companies would continue to sell ammo that might have the potential to blow up,or cause problems?seems to me they would'nt have much business left,if people kept "blowing up" because of Indian or Paki ammo. i just talked to a guy that has shot over 10,000 rounds of '92 Indian through his MG-42 with .308 barrel,and he and his gun are still working. tired of this hearsay,show me PICS!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
do people really believe that companies would continue to sell ammo that might have the potential to blow up,or cause problems?seems to me they would'nt have much business left,if people kept "blowing up" because of Indian or Paki ammo. i just talked to a guy that has shot over 10,000 rounds of '92 Indian through his MG-42 with .308 barrel,and he and his gun are still working. tired of this hearsay,show me PICS!

I didn't bother taking any pics of the Indian "ammo", but I got rid of it as fast as I could. There were crushed (not dented) rounds, bent cases, split necks, crooked bullets, bullets set at seemingly random depths, etc.

I guess if you really went through it and examined every round (including weighing), you could end up with some decent ammo (after tossing about 30% or so of the lot).  Personally, I value my time and my guns too much to be bothered with picking through garbage ammo.

ETA: Firing 10k rounds of junk ammo through an MG42 says less about the ammo than it does about the mg owner.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#12]
i am talking about ammo that has caused damage or injury,not some crushed or dented ammo. if someone sold you that kind of ammo,and you didnt see all those problems with it,thats your fault.as far as shooting cheap ammo in a 1200 rpm weapon,if it works,use it. unless someone is rich enough to feed LC through a weapon like that,i say burn it up,have the good stuff when you need it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#13]
So.. what ammo are you  shooting, tankjr?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i am talking about ammo that has caused damage or injury,not some crushed or dented ammo. if someone sold you that kind of ammo,and you didnt see all those problems with it,thats your fault.as far as shooting cheap ammo in a 1200 rpm weapon,if it works,use it. unless someone is rich enough to feed LC through a weapon like that,i say burn it up,have the good stuff when you need it.

So you think it's worth saving $30 on a thousand rounds of ammo that you're going to shoot through your $40,000 MG42?  Crushed or dented? Bullet seating depth all over the map? Based on that, who knows how consistant the powder charges are?  I prefer to be a little careful and not wind up with a broken gun and personal injuries.  This ammo was UNSAFE unless properly sorted in advance.

FWIW, the can of Indian I bought was mail order, very cheap, and I only bought it in case it was really good stuff so I could order a bunch more right away. Once I had a chance to look at it, I bought a some cases of SA surplus instead.  It was about $40 per case more than the Indian (at the time).

Shoot what you want in your guns, but don't berate those of us who don't want to blow up our guns.  If you're tired of the hearsay, go buy a few cases yourself.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
tired of this hearsay,show me PICS!

I you cant find it Jr. I will help you out. But not because of your nice manners.

www.cetmerifles.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=11183

JR

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow, that is some nasty stuff. Hopefully there where no human injuries to report from all those faulty ammo pics.

^_^_^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top