Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/16/2006 4:11:41 AM EDT
Finally found some time to get to the range with my PTR 91. It had been a while, but in the meantime I'd made some modifications. The first was the installation of the Tac Latch II. This went pretty well as my earlier model PTR rifle (S/N A1XXX) required little modification. I did have to lose (yes, I literally mean "lose") the little flex spring to get the best fit. However in the field this lever makes a world of difference in making a mag change. I like it.

Secondly, I had recently purchased a wide forearm from an AWB era Springfield SAR8 sporter. It had the front rivet of the service bipod retention spring drilled out. I installed a Harris 2A adapter sling stud at this point. Then mounted my Low Harris Bipod (9-13" model). This worked great; very stable shooting platform. Could shoot 3"+ three shot groups at 200 yds. I can't see going back to the service bipod anytime soon.

Third thing was to get into shooting some South African ammo. I'd shot some of it earlier along with some Pakistan ammo on the same day and had experienced no problems. Then I'd read many of the threads here an on other forums about the tar sealant of the SA ammo gumming up the PTR/HK 91 rifles. And I can confirm after yesterday, it does. Was shooting mags loaded to 10 rounds so I could do a number of mag changes (gotta use that Tac Latch!). Somewhere around 160 rounds the rifle stopped cycling. At that point cases were about half coated with sealant when extracted. We were running out of shooting light , so I cased the gun and took it home to clean. After breaking the rifle down, I thoroughly swabbed bore and chamber with Hoppe's #9. Used bore brush and E&L's breech face brush to scrubb. Cleaned the receiver with Hoppe's and E&L's receiver bruxh. Followed with patches and rags. Did the same with Hoppes, patches and rags to the trigger group, bolt, and bolt carrier. In about an hour all we were good as new and ready for the next trip to the range. My thoughts are that I'm disappointed in the SA ammo's effect. Should have stayed with the Paki stuff. But I got about 1200 rounds of the SA so I'll continue to shoot and clean. That way I still don't have to use up my Portuguese. For those who are interested, the lot number of my ammo is "R1M1 170 B11/81" and the headstamp is B81 7.62 R1M1.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:39:17 AM EDT
Man, I'm sorry to hear about that SA ammo. I just bought 980 rds. of it (Lot 12/A/2/80).
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:46:37 AM EDT
don't be sorry, that stuff(exactaly the same markings I have) is just fine IMOP, I have 500+ rounds thru my HK91 and PTR 91 with no issues, I think this is non tar stuff, cleaning has been a breeze.

Originally Posted By Accomplice:
Man, I'm sorry to hear about that SA ammo. I just bought 980 rds. of it (Lot 12/A/2/80).

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:13:44 AM EDT
if you guys bothered to read the 3+ posts I wrote in, warning people about SA ammo...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:12:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dieter122:
if you guys bothered to read the 3+ posts I wrote in, warning people about SA ammo...

I think the point is- it is hit or miss. The SA is so available and affordable- sometimes it's worth it to 'roll the dice'.

But I don't think I would buy 1,000 rds a pop.

The SA is pretty much all I see at the GS's around here- just got a battle pack for $25.

Thanks for sharing that 'bad' lot #. I shot some R1M1 210W A01 / 80Z the other day and it did not seem too dirty.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:33:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MFP_4073:

Originally Posted By Dieter122:

I think the point is- it is hit or miss. The SA is so available and affordable- sometimes it's worth it to 'roll the dice'.

But I don't think I would buy 1,000 rds a pop.

The SA is pretty much all I see at the GS's around here- just got a battle pack for $25.

Thanks for sharing that 'bad' lot #. I shot some R1M1 210W A01 / 80Z the other day and it did not seem too dirty.

Man, $38/battlepack around here...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:32:47 AM EDT
The first threads I'd read were some by Dieter122 about the dirty SA ammo. But it was too late for me, I already owned a case based on shooting some from other lots. Up until that time I hadn't heard of any difference in performance, only good things about SA ammo. Just thought I'd get the lot number out for others. As I said, I'll be shooting and cleaning till it's all used up. The sealant breaks down pretty quickly with Hoppe's. But it's very messy getting it all wiped up.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:51:18 AM EDT
I'm not shooting SA but older 70's stuff from India. It also has some type of bullet sealant although its never given me any trouble. I pull all of rounds with a collet, clean the sealant off of the bullets and reload them at a slightly lower power level for 3gun (factory load is 43 Grains and I download it to 38 grains). Seems like most of the crap comes off on the bullet with some left inside the neck, but I don't worry about.

I'm just throwing this out there for people that have crates of the bad SA stuff...probably better to clean the gunk off of the bullet before it goes in your gun.
Top Top