Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 11:40:11 AM EDT
Is there any difference in performance or is it just personal preference?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#1]
My .02¢

flip a coin.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My .02¢

flip a coin.

Should I use a silver quarter or a clad quarter!?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My .02¢

flip a coin.

Yep, I agree.  I have both, and both have been perfect so far.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, all that I've ever had were aluminum and I was just wondering if I should get some steel.  

Now it's time to go mark my coin "steel" and "aluminum."  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I also have both and have had no problems with either.  That being said the steel ones are a lot stronger.  The aluminun mags feel as though you could smash them in your hand.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I also have both and have had no problems with either.  That being said the steel ones are a lot stronger.  The aluminun mags feel as though you could smash them in your hand.

true onthe alloys,, the  steel mags i have are in nice shape but  double feed the last two rounds.  i have  a few of them and they all do the same, the alloys do not. plus load up a steel mag then a alloy and see the diff lol
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Aluminum mags are lighter.  H&K's are already to heavy, why add any weight?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the input.  I went ahead and ordered some more aluminum ones since that's what I already know works well in my gun.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The bodies on the steel mags are definitely more robust, but I have found them to not be as reliable as the aluminum mags.  The springs seem to be weaker in the steel mags leading to bolt over base failures.  Granted these were all used mags, so maybe that is the problem.  However, I have not had any problems with either new or used aluminum mags.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both ands prefer the aluminum ones, thier much lighter, feed better, and IMHO look better. And I also prefer the 20 rd over the 30's which I didnt expect for a couple of reasons, one being that if you shoot off the bench it sits to high with the 30's.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting there seems to be just a mild preference to the aluminum here. I have 15 of them, glad to know they are as good or better than steel in this weapon.

still shocked at how cheap good looking newish mags are for this PTR91.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top