Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2006 4:59:18 PM EDT
Unfortunately, I can only search back 30 days (yeah I know I need to pony up the cash) and all the info I've found online is old and pre-AWB.  So I come here to ask..

What is required to make this rifle accept hi-cap magazines? I've seen the Top-Notch kit, but have heard negative things about the company.  Also, I've seen stuff about having to swap out enough US parts to make it legal.. Any truth to the US parts requirement still?

Also, with the AWB gone, are G36 mags legal, and can you make an SL8 accept them?

I'm such a n00b... I just sat around and watched on the A-15 stuff and got all my answers, but this is an entirely new ballgame for me h.gif
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The USA G-36 conversion to use M-16 mags is about as good as it gets.
And yes, you will need to USA clone the rifle with enough US parts or you are in violation of the 922 import laws (mag capacity).

If the question is if you can get a SL8 (not -1) mag well/new bolt/stock* and drop them in without replacing other parts, again that changes the configuration of the rifle to a non-sporting import, and in violation of the 922 (would have to USA part clone the rifle to change it to a USA parts rifle).

* The SL8-1 has the dimpled stock/mag area that prevents a G-36 mags from working even if the mag well is changed.

Trust me, I would love to have a factory HK semi G-36 here in the states (sl8-4 would also be nice), but since HK is not building a USA factory, and the 922 laws are in place, it looks like it may never happen.

www.hkpro.com/sl8.htm

I was afraid of that.  I was hoping to just notch out the receiver and put in the new mag well and bam, G36 mags.  To me, anything put cheapo clear or poly mags just look "unfinished" on the rifle.

Do you have any good updated sources of information on what parts are available and what can be done to the rifle?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Top Notch actually has two kits you can get.

The first kit has the stock and other parts you need to convert the SL8 to a G36 lookalike.

This rifle would use AR-15 magazines.

The second kit converts the rifle to use a G36 magwell, and has additional US-made parts in it, so that you can use G36 mags.

I believe that the second kit does (or at least, did) come with one HK G36 magazine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:17:21 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as G36 mags, there are two problems:

1) Even with a G36 magazine well, you have to have plastic machined away from the SL8 receiver as a G36 mag is wider than an M16 magazine and it will not insert. It's possible to do this yourself but I would recommend you pay someone who knows what they are doing. You will also have to install the paddle release if it was removed for the M16 magwell.

2) There are many G36 mag wells on the market. They will work but they are not made for the SL8 receiver per se. They install easily but you will have a "hole" on the right side of your receiver as the real G36 magwells are not built up like the TN made M16 magwell. This wont really effect function, but it looks crappy. Thats why alot of photos of G36/SL8 conversions hide that portion of the receiver (stock folded over it, etc).

You can look on HK Pro, this has been discussed many times on there. Looks aside, Ive owned a few conversions, I dont see any advantage to G36 magazines over the M16 ones in this situation.  I've not heard of them breaking, but they sure look flimsy as heck. The Germans are reporting the springs will take a set if you leave the mags loaded for an extended period of time (weeks).
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#5]
More plastic machined out than is required to put the AR mags in?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes, the G36 magwell is even wider than the AR one.   Im in the process myself now, Im going with the AR mags through, since the G36 mags are around $50 ea. and not easy to find and the magwell adds another $400 to an already VERY expensive conversion.   Ive got about $2700 into mine so far.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, the G36 magwell is even wider than the AR one.   Im in the process myself now, Im going with the AR mags through, since the G36 mags are around $50 ea. and not easy to find and the magwell adds another $400 to an already VERY expensive conversion.hinking.gif   Ive got about $2700 into mine so far.

YIKES! hock.gif

I hopefully get the rifle into my FFL today, so I can't wait to get into this thing and start playing.  I'd love to see some pics of some conversions here, since the pics thread was pretty limited on SL8/G36 stuff
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, the G36 magwell is even wider than the AR one.   Im in the process myself now, Im going with the AR mags through, since the G36 mags are around $50 ea. and not easy to find and the magwell adds another $400 to an already VERY expensive conversion.   Ive got about $2700 into mine so far.

YIKES!

I hopefully get the rifle into my FFL today, so I can't wait to get into this thing and start playing.  I'd love to see some pics of some conversions here, since the pics thread was pretty limited on SL8/G36 stuff

check out hkpro.websolv.com/  go to long section.   Just about every other post is about the SL8/G36 conversion.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both magwell conversions for mine, the M-16 and G36.  I have had no problems with either one.  The plus side to the M-16 conversion is that the mags are cheap.  G36 mags run about $60 a pop, but if you want the authentic look, go with the G36.  You have to remove quite a bit of plastic for the M-16 and a bit more for the G36, but not much more.  I had top-notch do the machining for the M-16 mag conversion, when I got it back, I did the rest with a dremel tool for the G-36 magwell, took about an hour to fit the G-36 mag well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have any pics of where the extra material has to come off?

Ive tried emailing Top Notch earlier this weekend, and no replies.  Whats the usual turn-around with them?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh, Dave, can you shoot me an email with some pics of how you modified the OEM stock into the pistol grip/PRS-style buttstock?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:29:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

No, I was referring to modifying the reciever to take G36 mags.

I had a photo detailing this but cant find it now. You can ask over on HKPro.com as thats where I got it. It is an easy procedure to mess up, and then youve ruined your SL8 receiver..
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:38:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Let me get this straight...you can just dremel out the magwell on a SL8 and bam you have AR mags? Or am I over simplifying?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Let me get this straight...you can just dremel out the magwell on a SL8 and bam you have AR mags? Or am I over simplifying?

You still need the ned magwell insert from Top Notch, and the new bolt (and other misc US pieces) for the double-stack mags
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#15]
ah duuh haha. I should of known. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#16]
What is "the" parts count for 922r compliance?

I know, I know, the Top Notch kit comes "with" all the needed parts, but I would like to investigate the parts count so I can better understand what will be needed if for example I use Orlite mags (aka "not US-built mags"), thereby reducing my US parts count by 3.  

If you take only the Top Notch kits, it would seem that the kit itself provides 4 parts:

- pistol grip
- buttstock
- piston
- bolt

...combined with a US-built mag's 3 parts, I'm counting 7 US parts on the SL8.  Fine.  What is "the" parts count?  17?  Does the charging handle count as a part?  If so, I'm thinking about machining one in the garage...  ;)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What is "the" parts count for 922r compliance?

I know, I know, the Top Notch kit comes "with" all the needed parts, but I would like to investigate the parts count so I can better understand what will be needed if for example I use Orlite mags (aka "not US-built mags"), thereby reducing my US parts count by 3.  

If you take only the Top Notch kits, it would seem that the kit itself provides 4 parts:

- pistol grip
- buttstock
- piston
- bolt

...combined with a US-built mag's 3 parts, I'm counting 7 US parts on the SL8.  Fine.  What is "the" parts count?  17?  Does the charging handle count as a part?  If so, I'm thinking about machining one in the garage...  ;)

The TN kit requires that you use US mags.  No Orlites. (theyre crap anyway.)

BTW Ishootpics,
My stock came from Greg Covington.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#18]
There's two kits, both sold by Top Notch.

The first kit has the AR-15 magwell, and the requisite parts to be 922(r) compliant with the use of US-made magazines (which are three parts themselves).

The second kit has a G36 magwell, and another 2 or 3 parts to maintain compliance so that foriegn-made magazines are legal.

One could, legally, buy the second kit, install the requisite parts out of said kit, but leave the AR-15 magwell in the rifle, and then use Orlites, as the magwell is not considered a part, per 922(r).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I will take some picture of mine where the material needs to be removed and post them here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What did he charge, and is he still doing the work?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did he charge, and is he still doing the work?

$200-ish  ( I think)   he only does work on an individual basis.    
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yeah I know about orlites... my real question is does the SL8 parts count amount to 16 parts or 17 parts.  The REAL thing I'm thinking about is my FN mags, which personally I like 10x better than my AR mags.  Those aren't US made mags and therefore if the parts count is only 16, then I could in theory swap followers and floorplates and call it a day.  If 17 parts, then I'd have one more part to swap for a US part to keep within the quota.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I know about orlites... my real question is does the SL8 parts count amount to 16 parts or 17 parts.  The REAL thing I'm thinking about is my FN mags, which personally I like 10x better than my AR mags.  Those aren't US made mags and therefore if the parts count is only 16, then I could in theory swap followers and floorplates and call it a day.  If 17 parts, then I'd have one more part to swap for a US part to keep within the quota.

I dont know the actual parts count# but how about floorplates and magpul followers?

Ive seen several people post that they've made their own charging handles.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:51:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah that's a good idea about the followers.  I haven't found any "how I did it" posts on charging handles as of yet.  That's on my to-do list however.  

It eludes me as to how these guys are using G36 mags unless they are just using them to snap a photo...  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#25]
here is my gun. It is getting refinished at AZEX. After that I am going to sell it.
HK SL8/G36 conversion KK series rifle. It has both dual carry optics and chopped rail, threaded and contoured bbl. (by Arizona Response Systems, mark also chopped the top rail and added cross slots), Vortex flash hider, 8 30rd G36 LEO mags, Top Notch AR mag well conversion, Top Notch converted non folding lower. (Because I fixed the gaping hole in the receiver the TN mag conversion will need to be modiified. It can be done easily with a belt sander.)
This rifle is being refinished at AZEX, but it will be done later this week.
Before the reciever mod:

What the reciever mod looks like up close:

What it looks like now minus refinishing of the lower:

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Sweet, how did you fix the hole in the receiver?  Info please!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Here are some pics of where the material needs to be removed.  On the first picture, a little bit of material needs to be removed from the upper left corner of the mag well.  

On the next picture, it is a little dark, but material needs to be removed from the right side of the mag well.  The entire indentation of plastic for the single stack mags needs to be cut out right up to where it starts curling back out to the normal receiver width, then you need to grind the very inside lip like in the photo.  Mine does not look nice and preaty because I just used a dremal tool, but you never see it unless you look inside.  Just take your time, grind a little, insert the mag, see how it fits, grind a little more and so on until you get a perfect fit.  I also removed the upper left back corner of the G36 mag well so it would fit nice and snug against the receiver without removing any other material.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
here is my gun. It is getting refinished at AZEX. After that I am going to sell it.
HK SL8/G36 conversion KK series rifle. It has both dual carry optics and chopped rail, threaded and contoured bbl. (by Arizona Response Systems, mark also chopped the top rail and added cross slots), Vortex flash hider, 8 30rd G36 LEO mags, Top Notch AR mag well conversion, Top Notch converted non folding lower. (Because I fixed the gaping hole in the receiver the TN mag conversion will need to be modiified. It can be done easily with a belt sander.)
Before the reciever mod:
members.cox.net/vepr602/hk1.JPG
members.cox.net/vepr602/h3.jpg
members.cox.net/vepr602/h2.jpg

sweet!  who did the stock?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I emailed topnotch a couple days ago to see if they had any g36 folders and mag kits in stock but they havnt responded back yet. Seems like good service is hit and miss with them from what Ive read. Hopefully they get back with me soon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Sweet, how did you fix the hole in the receiver?  Info please!

Here is the info from HKpro.com that I posted. I was considering offering this as a service but I have gotten lack luster commitment from other members there. Someone suggested the work was worth $100 plus. Whaddayall think?

1st. The receiver must be modified to accept G36 mags as the magazine acts as a type of mold to keep Marinetex out of the inside of the receiver.
2nd. I would need the plastic to do the conversion. Possible sources include original SL8 magwell (preferred) or stock spacer.
3rd. The rifle would need to be refinished. Matte Duracoat would be my suggestion. I guess I would have to factor this price in.

Unfortunately, I am not a gunsmith just a hobbyist. However, I could see getting some plastic either from one of your stock spacers from the orginal stock or the big block of plastic fromt the Top Notch mag well. Either way, you are going to first use superglue to hold it there so you can lay down the Marinetex. Do not use an inferior product such as JB weld. I guess I could break it down.

1. I used a grinder to put a 45 degree angle on the piece I was attaching to the receiver to give more surface for the Marine tex to bond to.

2. My receiver was already modified to take G36 mags. I used the G36 magwell and G36 magazine to keep the epoxy out of places I didnt want it to get into. I used a G36 mag covered with a Ziploc bag as a sort of backing as I layed the first layer of epoxy on the seam of the plastic piece, where it met the reciever. I removed the magazine from time to time to ensure that no Marine Tex got into the receiver. I did this to ensure that the marine tex stayed on the plastic piece and on the outside of the reciever. I then used a blow dryer to cure the marinetex.

3. I filled the gaps on the plastic piece on the inside of the receiver with more Marinetex. After it dried I sanded it down.

4. After taping everything up, I sprayed it down with lots of durafill. After this cured I sanded it down again.

5. The last step was getting rid of the seam. I used my Dremel to create a trench on the seam where the plastic met the reciever. I made it long and deep. I then filled the trench with Marinetex and sanded it down then painted it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Here are some pics of where the material needs to be removed.  On the first picture, a little bit of material needs to be removed from the upper left corner of the mag well.  

img495.imageshack.us/img495/9261/img03095vp.th.jpg

On the next picture, it is a little dark, but material needs to be removed from the right side of the mag well.  The entire indentation of plastic for the single stack mags needs to be cut out right up to where it starts curling back out to the normal receiver width, then you need to grind the very inside lip like in the photo.  Mine does not look nice and preaty because I just used a dremal tool, but you never see it unless you look inside.  Just take your time, grind a little, insert the mag, see how it fits, grind a little more and so on until you get a perfect fit.  I also removed the upper left back corner of the G36 mag well so it would fit nice and snug against the receiver without removing any other material.  
img225.imageshack.us/img225/6948/img03204tv.th.jpg

Great info. Everyone listen to Lonerunner as this is exactly what I did. The only difference is I closed that ugly gaping hole in the reciever.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Before the reciever mod:

Thank you, I did the stock. It is being refinished at AZEX. It will be going up for sale in the EE soon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Before the reciever mod:

Thank you, I did the stock. It is being refinished at AZEX. It will be going up for sale in the EE soon.

How exactly did you do the stock?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Before the reciever mod:

How exactly did you do the stock?

I used a dremel tool to chop the folding hinge on the lower off. I also ground the hinges off the folding stock. I cut the lower back to the receiver screw holes. Then, I cut the stock and lower like two puzzle pieces to get them to fit together at the least length of pull. The top contour was made with Marine-Tex. Inside both lower and the stock, I filled with Marinetex throughout to maintain structural integrity.
With a big chunk of plastic gained from the folder, I ground it down with a grinder and used it for my reciever mod.
Please keep in mind the lower was obviously detached from the upper when I did the stock mod.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks nice!  Marine Tex is a GREAT epoxy product.  I've used it for several projects on my sailboat and it holds up great.  

While I can't say that removing the hinge from the stock is my cup of tea, I am glad to see you took the time with that magazine well area.  Did you just paint over the marine tex or try to dye it?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The stock?  Or the gun?  If its the stock, I'LL TAKE IT!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Looks nice!  Marine Tex is a GREAT epoxy product.  I've used it for several projects on my sailboat and it holds up great.  

While I can't say that removing the hinge from the stock is my cup of tea, I am glad to see you took the time with that magazine well area.  Did you just paint over the marine tex or try to dye it?

The gunsmith who is refinishing my lower suggested adding die to Marinetex. I have no idea, on the type or kind of dye to use. Any suggestions?
I used duracoat on the upper reciever. The lower will be finished with Duracoat too.
Just out of curiosity how the hell do you shoot your gun with such a long stock?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The stock?  Or the gun?  If its the stock, I'LL TAKE IT!

The gun is being sold, not just the stock. I want a Serbu 50bmg, or a POF .308, or POF 18" SPR upper.
Sorry bro!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The gun is being sold, not just the stock. I want a Serbu 50bmg, or a POF .308, or POF 18" SPR upper.
Sorry bro!

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:55:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sorry bro!

Do you have a stock that you want me to convert? I would have no problem seeing that there is no serial number on the lower.  LMK
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

img495.imageshack.us/img495/9261/img03095vp.th.jpg

img225.imageshack.us/img225/6948/img03204tv.th.jpg

To make it a little more eye appealing, you could sand down the area to make it a litte flatter. I did this and used a permanent marker and it looks good.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#42]
IM a little confused AoWRanger. Did you convert a flding stock to a fixed stock? If so why?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
IM a little confused AoWRanger. Did you convert a flding stock to a fixed stock? If so why?

Johnny I did exactly that, convert a folding stock that has a ridiculous LOP, to a fixed stock that is much more manageable. When Top Notch incorporated the hinge, the length of pull was increased into a very ridiculous length. Check out this link:  alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/

When you get the TN conversion pieces you will understand what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Johnny I did exactly that, convert a folding stock that has a ridiculous LOP, to a fixed stock that is much more manageable. When Top Notch incorporated the hinge, the length of pull was increased into a very ridiculous length. Check out this link:  alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SL8/

When you get the TN conversion pieces you will understand what I am talking about.

Thats what I thought as Ive heard the stock is very long. Is that your website? I cropped a photo from there to see the idea Iam having about the stock. Dont have the hardware to see if its feasable yet but hopefully soon. I basically want to eliminate that sqaure hole by the hinge. It might shorten it an inch or so from the looks of it. It looks feasable.

the above image is an unmodified TN stock and below is one that would be shortened with hinge still in tact.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:31:51 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats what I thought as Ive heard the stock is very long. Is that your website? I cropped a photo from there to see the idea Iam having about the stock. Dont have the hardware to see if its feasable yet but hopefully soon. I basically want to eliminate that sqaure hole by the hinge. It might shorten it an inch or so from the looks of it. It looks feasable.

the above image is an unmodified TN stock and below is one that would be shortened with hinge still in tact.

www.hunt101.com/img/382309.jpg

That is not my website, I just found it when I wanted to do the G36 conversion. Good luck on trying your approach. If I can suggest something, though. I would chope the buttplate off, instead of the square hole. There would be little to bond to on your idea. Instead if you cut the buttplate off and chopped some length off the arms that the buttplate attaches to, you could reattach the buttplate with screws and marine-tex. It is just an idea, but good luck none the less.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#46]
You could always get yourself a G36C stock.

Cal's Sporting Armory looks to be out of just about everything for the G36, but they do turn up from time to time.

The G36C stock is a full inch shorter.  A lot of people have swapped these onto their converted SL8-1 in order to keep the folding functionality.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You could always get yourself a G36C stock.

Cal's Sporting Armory looks to be out of just about everything for the G36, but they do turn up from time to time.

The G36C stock is a full inch shorter.  A lot of people have swapped these onto their converted SL8-1 in order to keep the folding functionality.

Good luck with that one.  Ive had WTB ads in most of the boards for more than a month and only one guy replyed who wanted $200 for one!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Well I got my conversion kit in from topnotch today. I had dyed the upper yesterday so all I had to do today was swap the trigger group, mill out clearance for the magwell and shorten the stock. Putting the trigger group in the new stock was probablly the hardest part since I had forgetten how it went together. Christ the thing is like a swiss watch!

So anyhow it came out really nice in my opinion. Cuttung out that small square in the folder shortened the stock about 2 inches. It feels much nicer now.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Great job!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:33:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Well I got my conversion kit in from topnotch today. I had dyed the upper yesterday so all I had to do today was swap the trigger group, mill out clearance for the magwell and shorten the stock. Putting the trigger group in the new stock was probablly the hardest part since I had forgetten how it went together. Christ the thing is like a swiss watch!

So anyhow it came out really nice in my opinion. Cuttung out that small square in the folder shortened the stock about 2 inches. It feels much nicer now.

www.hunt101.com/img/384730.JPG

Nice!  Hows the cheekweld?  It seems like the line of sight is a little lower now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top