Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 10:08:09 AM EDT
Has anyone had any experience with their stocks, preferably on a 91?  Any input would be greatly appreciated as a want a folder, but have a real dislike for the collapsible stock that H&K designed.

Thanks,
Robert
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
No one?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
nope...

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Their stocks are well mad enough, but the folding mechanism sucks.  Ace reversed the tried and true FN type folding mechanism, with the FN/Galil the socket is on the receiver, Ace put it on the stock instead, resulting in a bulky and awkward stock to fold.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I think that I'll look elsewhere.  I would definitely like a good folder or a collapsible stock for my PTR-91.  So far I know what not to get, but that's about it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes I have one on my SAR-8, I like it and highly recommend them.  Just my opinion but they are one solid piece of gear.
I am a lefty so I like the fact it is reversable.  When I get my PTR I will be putting one on as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I knew about Ace before many people heard of them.  I bought a set of folding stock and folding mechanism from them in 2000, great folks to deal with, they've been around years before then.  Their first folding stock has a wire shoulder rest thingie like what's found on an M1A rifle (except it's a wire, not a plate).  I seem to be the only one picking on the folding mechanism, but I've been spoiled by the wonderfully crafted FN FAL Para folder and won't tolerate anything less, and even Choat's folding stock for the MP5K PDW is more elegant than Ace's ass backward folding mech, since Choat based its folding mech on the FN.
It may not bother you, however I've heard that Ace's HK91 end cap for its stock is made of plastic and wobbles.  Another strike
If you use a real G3 end cap then mod the Ace stock, it may work better (still have to face the fooked up folding mech though).   I've seen an HK21 with that setup, so there's no doubt it can stand up to regular use.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got one of the PTR91 rifles with a JLD marked (Choate) side folder. It is quick to open and fold and rock solid too, an all steel mechanism. I hate to say it but I like it better than an original HK slider stock. I get a better cheek weld with it too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Duffy,

no doubt the FN has the best folder ever created, it can indeed spoil you.  The mechanism might not look as elegant, but it is rock solid.  Not sure what end cap you are refering to, mine here is steel thru and thru.  
Once again since I am a lefty it was a boon to me.  I have a Choate as well but still prefer the ACE for my needs.
I think both the ACE and Choate are better than the old meat grinder the HK's came with originally.  
Good luck Paradude, I dont really think you can go wrong with either choice.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#9]
It's not so much the way it looks as the way Ace's stock needs to be manipulated to fold.  With FN type stocks you press anywhere on the receiver and lift the stock to disengage the catch and fold, with an Ace stock there's hardly any leverage.  With practice it can be done quicker but it's nevertheless unnecessarily awkward.  In view there's the excellent design that has existed for the last 30 years, it's hard to find an execuse that Ace still does it so poorly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top