Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 3:47:30 PM EDT
I need to return a rifle to the manufacturer for some warranty work.  Can I ship it directly to
the manufacturer by UPS or do I have to have my local gun shop do it for me?

thanks,
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that you can ship it to the manufacturer without going through a dealer, but they'll ONLY return it to the address that it was mailed from.  Somebody will chime in and confirm this.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I shipped my Kimber through UPS for repair and they were able to ship it back to my home address.  Since I already own the gun there are no legal transfers taking place so no dealer is needed.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I shipped my Kimber through UPS for repair and they were able to ship it back to my home address.  Since I already own the gun there are no legal transfers taking place so no dealer is needed.  

I've had it done a number of different ways, I think it's up to the shipper to git-r-done.  Nothing's more convenient though going home and seeing the brown UPS truck show up asking for a signature!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Whoops, when I replied I though this was the WA hometown forum.

Info below is for WA State, I think each state may vary on what they require.

Yes, it can go back direct to the manufature without going thru a FFL.

in alot of cases "Mail It" type stores(if you tell them) will not ship firearms, so it needs to go to the UPS depot or find a gun freindly shiper, I actaully have used my FFL as he ships all the time......and I trust him, but it was not required.

yes it can be mailed directly back to you from the manufature, it will require an adult sig however.....so I use my office as someone is always there.

I also beleive UPS has a policy that handguns must be shiped overnight, long guns can go anyway.

this my experence, PLEASE check the laws.

John
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Another thing to keep in mind when using UPS, and shipping collectable type firearms, NFA in particular.  UPS insurance will not pay for intrinsic/collector value, just the replacement cost, so they are going to go by Post-sample prices.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#6]
You might consider using USPS, but print out the regs so they don't refuse. You have to send by registered mail, which is automatically insured to the declared value.  You can send any long gun, no handguns. No SBRs, SBS, or short barrelled MGs. The box has to be taped using the brown paste tape.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
No problem, sometimes they want to inspect like the UPS guy knows anything about guns
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top