Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 8:45:08 AM EDT
If any of you guys own or have any experience with the BW89 let us all know.  I am thinking about investing in one of these to continue my HK-clone collection.  I haven't seen very much info on this model, but it does look well built.  It seems that it would be cheaper/easier to buy a finished BW89 than to attempt to build a MP5K-pistol from parts.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Friend in Denver has one, we have shot about 1000 rounds through it so far. absolutely zero functioning problems.
Had some initial issues with the mag well being out of spec, sent it back to Bobcat , they fixed it
runs 100% with HK factory curved and POF mags using Win Q-Load ammo.

Will be shooting it again this weekend with SWR QD3K attached, will see how precise the 3 lug is.

I think they represent a fair value for those who dont want to spring 3500 for an SP89.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one and SBR'ed it and have had ZERO problems with mine (except using HK straight magazines, but even real HK 9mm subguns have problems with those).  And mine performs flawlessly with my Gemtech Mk9K suppressor.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it's the best MP5 type gun out there, and everyone I've spoken to agrees.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a BW89-SP clone of the SP89 got mine on the 1st run, had it for several months now, and I put about 500+ rounds through it, and it functions perfectly

here it is, mod'ed with a german HK MP5K clipped and pinned lower and a german HK flash hider, Surefire M77 Railed Handguards w/Red Laser. Next step is to register it as an AOW or SBR, I'm still deciding on what to do with it...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I was hoping that you guys would tell me how terrible it is so I won't buy one...

Oh well...  There goes that plan.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't get one.......they dont look as good as an HK.....

Don't waste your time registering as an SBR......they suck too and are no fun either......who wants a rifle that short..........

(please understand the sarcasm above)

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys really suck...

This is going to cost me a lot of money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I like mine (SBR'd)...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#9]
My experience was not as good as some of yours. I had a bad extractor spring so out of the box it had a fte every 2 to 3 rounds. I sent it back and they fixed it. Mine "fell through the cracks" and sat on the bench ignored for a few days. I have only put about 200 or 300 rounds through it since I got it back. It seems to be fine now. The gun itself is good, but the customer service I got was AWFUL. The owner got frustrated with me and started yelling at me. I was just trying to give him the chance to do the right thing since they were making me pay for the shipping up there. Why should I pay? They weapon was DOA out of the box. He told me that he had other customers waiting for him so after yelling at me I told him to go take care of them since they seemed more important to him, he hung up on me at that point.  I personally will never do business with them again. No way I am putting money in the pocket of a guy who treats me like crap.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I took mine out today for the third time.  Ran thru 240 rounds.  I had 2 ftf but it was mag related.  It even runs the straight mags well. It just keeps getting smoother also.  I love the gun so much I bought a second one for future  use.   I have sbr paperwork in progress now and plan to put a B&T stock on it.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone was spreading rumors about the BW89 being blowback only and not delayed blowback operated roller lock bolt.  Isn't that just more Bobcat Weapons bad press?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Someone was spreading rumors about the BW89 being blowback only and not delayed blowback operated roller lock bolt.  Isn't that just more Bobcat Weapons bad press?

That is Vulcan's HK clone that they meant not Bobcat which uses the true HK action.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks fellas! How am I going to explain this purchase? I hope I get a big tax return this year.........
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I recently purchsed the Bobcat BW89 and have had ejector problems.

The first 20 rounds from the magazine shipped with the gun worked fine.

Then I started having ejector problems every 3-4 rounds with the 30rd HK magazines I purchased. I then switched back to the 20rd magazine and had the same problems.

I've disassembled the bolt carrier system, including the "ejector" spring and clean it VERY well.

Unfortunately I haven't had any time to get to a range to test it (between the snow, cold, and duty this weekend).

I've also been trying to register it with Bobcat, but they have some very strange rules about signing off on having read the manual first. Since I didn't get a manual (no box, the display model was all they had left - selling well here in Colorado) and their website doesn't have ANY information about the BW89, not even that they exist. So no PDF file for the manual.
Contacted Bobcat via email for manual, they said they'd snail-mail me one.

They responded quickly, but don't seem to understand questions, like - lubricant: can I use a lithium based product or teflon additive? CLP? RemOil? Answer: - As long as it's a gun product.
I guess I was looking for a little more then a generic anwser, it is their weapon system and you would think they would recommend something that works well for them.

So, does anyone know more about the "ejector" problem? Mine appears to not push the spent casing out the side breach hole and it gets jammed hard forward when the bolt/carrier moves forward. VERY hard to clear, and had to use something to pry it out a couple times.

Still, I think once I get past this it should be a great weapon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
MoronWGun: I had the same problem. They got a bad batch of extractor springs according to the tech at Bobcat. Make sure the gun is unloaded(mags and barrel). Look at the bolt through the ejection port. The spring is visible if you partially pull the bolt back. The good springs are copper colored. If you have any other colored you should contact them for a replacement spring. After mine was replaced it worked fine. As you can see by my response earlier, I have issues with the management, not there product.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I will probably start the paperwork after my vacation.  Gotta make sure I can pay for the family ski trip before I purchase any cool toys.  I can't wait to get my hands on one of these pistols though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Range Update:

Over 300 rounds, 115 grain FMJ - PMC Bronze
The 30 round magazine from Bobcat did fine (as long as I did not rapid fire).

Of the 3 HK 40 round magas, one seemed to have continuous FTE problems.

The more rounds I pushed through it, the better it seemed to run...

THe extractor "spring/tension" wire is shiny gold... which is flaking... hmmm, not a good thing I think...

I'll contact Bobcat and ask about the springs, thx!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#18]
BW-89 ran 100% with SWR QD3K suppressor.

Mix of 147 Grn American Eagle and Win White Box 115 grn.

1 HK curved and 1 POF curved magazine.

About 100 rds total. The 3 lug to suppressor interface was just as good
as on my HK factory barrel.

Nice freakin toy.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for this info... I'm emailing them for a new extractor spring...
BTW, I also updated my pic above... New and Improved!

Quoted:
MoronWGun: I had the same problem. They got a bad batch of extractor springs according to the tech at Bobcat. Make sure the gun is unloaded(mags and barrel). Look at the bolt through the ejection port. The spring is visible if you partially pull the bolt back. The good springs are copper colored. If you have any other colored you should contact them for a replacement spring. After mine was replaced it worked fine. As you can see by my response earlier, I have issues with the management, not there product.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Well I finally sent off the order and FFL to Atlantic Firearms for a BW89.  The FFL at the gun shop didn't ask any questions about what kind of gun I was ordering.  I just hope he doesn't freak out when he receives the BW89.  I live in Kansas City, MO.  They have a law where you have to get permission from the Sheriff's Office before you can buy any pistol.  It takes 5-10 days to get permission and costs $10.  

I am from Kansas and never had to deal with this nonsense before I moved here.  I checked for any freaky local laws against the BW89 and couldn't find any.  It just looks too "evil".
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I wouldn't get one.......they dont look as good as an HK.....

Don't waste your time registering as an SBR......they suck too and are no fun either......who wants a rifle that short..........

(please understand the sarcasm above)

home.triad.rr.com/gidds/P1010034.jpg

Hey what kind of rear site is that? Doctor?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well I finally sent off the order and FFL to Atlantic Firearms for a BW89.  The FFL at the gun shop didn't ask any questions about what kind of gun I was ordering.  I just hope he doesn't freak out when he receives the BW89.  I live in Kansas City, MO.  They have a law where you have to get permission from the Sheriff's Office before you can buy any pistol.  It takes 5-10 days to get permission and costs $10.  

I am from Kansas and never had to deal with this nonsense before I moved here.  I checked for any freaky local laws against the BW89 and couldn't find any.  It just looks too "evil".

It's the normal handgun permit.  I think it is actually a Federal requirement now.  Missouri has been doing it for at least 15 years that I know of.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I went back to the range Saturday and ran 210 rounds through my BC 89.  I had failures to chamber but it was due to a straight mag.  Can`t wait to put a stock on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I just have to wait until Tuesday for my permit to clear.  The guys I am going to use for transfer are pretty conservative when it comes to gun sales.  They don't sell any guns I would consider "cool".  They mainly sell hunting rifles.  I can't think of any legal reasons they wouldn't sell me the BW89 pistol.  I just bet they freak when they see it arrive.  It should be interesting.    
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It's the normal handgun permit.  I think it is actually a Federal requirement now.  Missouri has been doing it for at least 15 years that I know of.  

Normal handgun permit?  Glad I don't live where you live.  In some states, we're actually free to buy guns without asking permission first.  It most definately is not a federal requirement.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:44:28 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Normal handgun permit?  Glad I don't live where you live.  In some states, we're actually free to buy guns without asking permission first.  It most definately is not a federal requirement.

Really?  I thought everyone had the stupid "waiting period" before they could buy a handgun.  Like I said, in Missouri we have had it since I bought my first handgun in 1991 when I turned 21.  It was my impression that the so called "Assault Weapons" ban required every state to do the same.  I guess not.  

It's not a big deal for me anymore.  Now that I'm in law enforcement I can go to the SO and pay my $10 and walk out with a permit in less than 10 minutes.  

The waiting period is so that you have time to cool off before you kill someone.  Some liberal politicians think that making you wait 10 days before you can get a handgun will make the world a safer place.  Of course you can go to the local Walmart and buy a rifle the same day so I don't really see any purpose other than to mess with legal gun owners.  

Well I'm off to the SO now to get my permit for my BW-89 pistol.    See ya!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I have been a Kansas law enforcement officer for six years, but I recently had to move to MO because of my wife's job.  I was used to the KS way of buying guns and was shocked to have to have to get a permit from the SO.  I am used to walking in with money and walking out ten minutes later with a pistol.  I am still in law enforcement and the Jackson County SO doesn't give any breaks for LEO.  I still have to wait for five to ten days for a pistol "permit" and pay them their $10 bribe money or pistol tax or whatever you want to call it.  MO sucks.  The cost of living is cheaper but I don't like the sheriff in my business and taking ten bucks every time I buy a pistol.  They ask, "Why are you buying this pistol?" on the form.  What are you supposed to say?  To kill people?  How ridiculous...

Sorry for the rant.  I wanted to move back to KS when I first learned of this whole "permit" scam.

I will pick up my "permit" on Tuesday and then my BW89 pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top