Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 9:32:08 PM EDT
i was just reading on one of the hk forums and the statement was made that .308 will not run in an h&K    and that only 7.62 ammo would run because of the fluted chamber

anyone have actual expereinece or first hand knowledge if an such information?

is this bullshit or actually ture??  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a HK-91 it shoots all types of 308 ammo without a problem, just hard to reload.  I have reloaded the cases, they are ugly but shoot fine
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:59:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have a HK-91 it shoots all types of 308 ammo without a problem, just hard to reload.  I have reloaded the cases, they are ugly but shoot fine

+1

And I have no idea how ugly my spent cases are, as I can't seem to find where they landed.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

And I have no idea how ugly my spent cases are, as I can't seem to find where they landed.  

A Port Buffer will help with that! (If you care)

I've hed three different HK types an HK91 and two SAR3's. They have all fed 308 fine.

Funny thing is, my first SAR would throw brass about 20 feet to 2:30 or 3:00 position. My current SAR throws them about 10 feet to 1:00 position in a nice little pile. This SAR only had 80 rounds through it when I bought it. Maybe it'll start hitting the other shooters after some more rounds down range.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:10:13 AM EDT
[#5]
The problem is softer brass, which can be formed into the flutes and hinder extraction.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Bottom line is that they will (assuming the gun is in good working order) shoot any new, full power 7.62 NATO or .308 Winchester ammunition.

At least mine do.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#7]
To answer the BS flag, I have a shell deflector on mune and I find all my brass. I use a Dillon with carbide dies.  I do not waste any of my brass, I collect all the reloadable ones and keep them!  Why? because some day they will be hard to find anything you can use to reload.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, they will shoot any comercial .308 I've ever put through mine. Even the super soft brass like federal Gold Medal Match. So I wouldn't sweat it. You can also reload it provided it doesn't get too beat up upon extraction.

I've had some issues with port buffers on my rifles hindering ejection (they somehow seem to slow down the bolt or something I think due to the extra pressure on the reciver is the only thing I can think of).

Also I tend to toss the cases after about 5-7 firings as a matter of priniciple regardless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top