Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 5:03:38 AM EDT
Just wondering if anybody is using a V93 for Limited 3gun.  I've been shooting my PTR91K in the Heman class along with a pump shotgun and 1911 and doing pretty good. I usually shoot against M1As and FALs. I've been wanting to try Limited class using a semi-auto shotgun and 223. Since I'm familiar with the HK operating system i was wondering if the V93 would be competitive with all of the ARs in that class. I would think the reliability would be better than the ARs and the weight of the 93 would help in the recoil (although theres not a whole lot in a 223 compared to 308).

Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I want to do the same thing but, I fear that your reloads will be slower.

If you have a source for any belt pouches for HK33 magazines, please let me know!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I want to do the same thing but, I fear that your reloads will be slower.

Not by much, You go after the release with your left hand on the way up with a fresh mag.

www.taclatch.com/default.asp
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Your biggest challenges will be the reloads and the trigger. You can get trigger work done by several good 'smiths, but they won't be quite a good as any of the "drop-in" AR trigger sets (Chip McCormick, JP, etc).

Even with a Tac Latch you will have to strip the mag out during a reload, and that will cost time.

Mag holders and the like aren't a big deal: 3 Gun Gear

Their mag holders for the AR15 will likely work since they can be "formed" by storing a mag in them, but you may want to e-mail or call Mark to make sure.

I've thought of using my HKs (91 or 93) in 3-gun, but I think the only division it would be worthwhile in would be He Man. FALs and M1As don't have any real advantage there, and I would argue that the 91 would be better than an M1A for reliability reasons. I can't begin to tell you of how many shooters I have seen with unreliable M1As, and I don't know if that's inherent in that platform, or if it's something that those shooters are (or are not) doing. The FAL is about equal to the HK there. Tactical (Limited) and Open are dominated by the AR15 platform, primarily because of the 3rd party accessories available.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Your biggest challenges will be the reloads and the trigger. You can get trigger work done by several good 'smiths, but they won't be quite a good as any of the "drop-in" AR trigger sets (Chip McCormick, JP, etc).

Even with a Tac Latch you will have to strip the mag out during a reload, and that will cost time.

Mag holders and the like aren't a big deal: 3 Gun Gear

Their mag holders for the AR15 will likely work since they can be "formed" by storing a mag in them, but you may want to e-mail or call Mark to make sure.

I've thought of using my HKs (91 or 93) in 3-gun, but I think the only division it would be worthwhile in would be He Man. FALs and M1As don't have any real advantage there, and I would argue that the 91 would be better than an M1A for reliability reasons. I can't begin to tell you of how many shooters I have seen with unreliable M1As, and I don't know if that's inherent in that platform, or if it's something that those shooters are (or are not) doing. The FAL is about equal to the HK there. Tactical (Limited) and Open are dominated by the AR15 platform, primarily because of the 3rd party accessories available.

I've got one and they don't fit my 33 mags...

They barely go in and don't come out easily...
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for everyones input. I think  I may try a 93 for 3 gun! I'm not good enough to think about being ultra competitive.  Right now I just want to at least be able to run with the ARs. I would just get an AR, but the HK system is a thing of beauty and I really enjoy shooting them more.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#6]
1 big plus for the 93 is the 40rd mags that work. alot of the time stages are set with 34rd just over the normal 30. reloads are going to be slower on stages with manditory reloads.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Have you tried leaving them in the holder for 24-48 hours to form, or do they snag on the material on the way out? I suppose another possibility is one of the kydex mag holders.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you tried leaving them in the holder for 24-48 hours to form, or do they snag on the material on the way out? I suppose another possibility is one of the kydex mag holders.

I'm going to try that now...

If it doesn't work, I'll go with kydex...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top