Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/22/2005 5:19:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 5:56:43 AM EDT by eric10mm]
I received my 50-pack of HK G3 20rd alloy magazines, for $50, from Tapco.com yesterday and am REALLY impressed!

Out of 50 mags, all of which are in excellent to new shape, I could only find about a half-dozen that had mag catch marks on them at all. That means that roughly 85% of the mags I received had most likely never been in a gun!

None of the followers had rust on them and there were no dents other than some very small ones from storage and shipping. Most of the baseplates did have small rust spots developing on them, but nothing more than slight surface rust and considering that some of these are over 40 years old, that is perfectly acceptable.

The dates ranged from 5/62 to 11/89 and 90%+ were HK brand/made with a couple Rhinemetal, a couple FMP and one lone Kongsberg mag in there as well. One funny thing though, all of the 1972 HK mags had a layer of white residue on them, and only the 1972 mags. I'm betting it had something to due with the preservative papers that they were initially wrapped in.

Also, some of the early 70's era HK mags that didn't have that white film on them had less "sharp" stampings in the various dimples and ridges stamped into the mag bodies, almost like they were made on older machines with worn dies. Even the date and Mfr stamps were "weak". Strange.

All in all I am THOROUGHLY happy with my order of 50 freaking G3 magaziens and if I ever found myself in the market for another 50 G3 mags, yeah, right, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them from Tapco again.

Thanks Bill and Tapco!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:40:05 AM EDT
Got my 50 a few days ago and agree 100%. I did not need them (already have 30+) but at a buck a piece I could not say refuse. May even just leave them in the box and store them for later.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:20:04 AM EDT
I bought 50 and had NO reason for them. Decided I better go buy a gun to put them in. Just picked me up a Cetme today. Hopefully they fit good or I'll have to spend a few minutes on each filing down.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:36:17 AM EDT
I've gone through mine in detail and the 5 worst that I had were just becuase they had a coat of cosmoline inside and out. I saoked them in charcoal fluid and it came off fine.

I've heard the rusty steel ones were actaull in good shape as well.

Is the "Kongsberg" the "K" with a crown over it? I thought that was Koenig. (Not that is makes a difference)

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:58:20 AM EDT
Click on Country of Production for the various markings.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:10:14 AM EDT
Whar are the chances they would work in Cetme?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:05:18 PM EDT

One funny thing though, all of the 1972 HK mags had a layer of white residue on them, and only the 1972 mags. I'm betting it had something to due with the preservative papers that they were initially wrapped in.

I have a box of new aluminum mags and they also have the white film on them. They are dated from the 60s to the late 70s. I don't think they were ever in a wrapper, as they came new in a box of 25, uwrapped. BTW, I paid $6.00 a mag for these and though I was getting a decent deal
Top Top