Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/20/2003 2:32:35 PM EDT

Does anyone know of any EASY ways to clean an HK93 or 94 (or 91 for that matter) from stem to stern?

It takes even longer to clean one of those things than it takes to clean my AR...and that's saying a lot. Swabbing out all the carbon from the reciever, where the bore is, etc etc etc takes forever and requires tiny hands and fingers, which I don't have. The bolt assembly is no big deal, at least I can take that apart and wipe it down, even though it gets very dirty as well. It's the inside of the reciever, especially around the barrel / chamber area, that i have serious problems getting truly clean.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to get that whole area of the reciever clean?

By clean, I mean racking back the bolt a week after cleaning, wiping my finger around the chamber and that whole area, and coming back with nothing but some CLP on my finger..

If I had an ultrasonic cleaner this wouldn't be an issue, but I don't Not yet, anyway...just to clean this damn thing, I'd consider getting one. It'd be worth the hour and a half of my time..
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:36:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 3:57:15 AM EDT
Like Dano523 "said", get the proper cleaning brushes and receiver/chamber rode from E&L. The big square chamber brush is good for getting chunks out of the receiver and I use Q-tips for cleaning the nooks and crannies in the receiver. I also stopped trying to get the receiver "truly" clean. I get it functional clean which is why I've never had one malfunction so, I must be doing it right.

If you don't do so already, I recommend that you squirt a little CLP in the chamber and on the bolt carrier every 100 rounds or so. That will keep the crud from betting baked on. It may end up being a bit of an oily mess but it's easier to sop that up than to try and get baked on carbon of.

Bottom line - the HK-91/93/94's are a pain to clean AND they get filthy on top of that. But, at least they're accurate and reliable.

BTW, what ammo are you feeding? That may have something to do with your problem.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:20:03 AM EDT
Thats one thing I don't have, is the brushes. I usually run a snake down the bore of my 93 and my 94, run a patch soaked with hoppes down right after, and while that goes to work on the bore I try to clean out the reciever.

I want to try to get AWAY from the q-tip thing Functionally clean is "fine", but I'm too anal about cleanliness to leave it at that...Everything I have, I clean from tip to toe. And I don't want to make an exception out of the HK's...

I haven't had a problem with the gunk caking on, at all. All I've ever had to do to get the worst of it off was dribble on some Hoppes, and let it sit for a bit while I worked on something else. After 5 or so minutes, whatever was caked on, is now wiping right on off. It works really well on gas pistons, too. I spent most of the weekend getting squirted by my L1A1 with gun oil, so I'm trying to keep the excess lubrication to a minimum now :) If I can't see what I'm shooting at, there's a bit too much lube..

I tried using some carburator cleaner on it; sprayed a bunch of it into the reciever and let it drain out...It got most of the real gunk in there. All around the chamber and that area was still a bit dirty, though.

Ammo-wise...I'm shooting the SA surplus M193 through it. I shoot the same through my AR's and my AUG, and there's no real issues cleaning those. Through my 94, I shoot ..hrm, what the hell was it...Winchester, I think it was. I'm trying out Olympic 9mm next time I head to the range, though. That winchester stuff is pretty damn dirty, too. I *think* I have some Q3131A laying around, I'll give that a shot, too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:56:57 AM EDT

I use a $.99 can of wally world carb cleaner then clean the bore as any other rifle. Been doing it that way for over 10yrs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:08:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2003 6:10:58 PM EDT by Matt_B]

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:
Thats one thing I don't have, is the brushes.

The brushes, particularly the chamber face brush is key. That's the only way I know of to get the chamber face clean.

I want to try to get AWAY from the q-tip thing Functionally clean is "fine", but I'm too anal about cleanliness to leave it at that...Everything I have, I clean from tip to toe. And I don't want to make an exception out of the HK's...

I mentioned Q-tips because they're perfect for getting into the indents of the receiver. That's the only thing that works for me and they're cheap. I just don't want anything (like a piece of metal) left in there since it will rub against the receiver and the bolt carrier. Doesn't take long - just a few swipes down the four indents. I'm taking less and less time to clean it each time

I haven't had a problem with the gunk caking on, at all. All I've ever had to do to get the worst of it off was dribble on some Hoppes, and let it sit for a bit while I worked on something else. After 5 or so minutes, whatever was caked on, is now wiping right on off. It works really well on gas pistons, too. I spent most of the weekend getting squirted by my L1A1 with gun oil, so I'm trying to keep the excess lubrication to a minimum now :) If I can't see what I'm shooting at, there's a bit too much lube..

I relube my 94 after every 100 rnds. because I was keeping an eye on the underside the bolt and noticed it was getting dry due to the heat from shooting and the ambient temperature. I shoot it outside on Thanksgiving last year and didn't need to relube at all. I read about the relube in some MP-5 book. The armorer for the Cape Canaveral security team had the operators squirt some lube in every hundred rounds so I figured I'd try it. It keeps ticking so I'll keep doing it. YMMV of course

I tried using some carburator cleaner on it; sprayed a bunch of it into the reciever and let it drain out...It got most of the real gunk in there. All around the chamber and that area was still a bit dirty, though.

The chamber faces is a b-i-t-c-h but the chamber face brush makes it a whole lot easier.

In retrospect, I could have answered your question simply "No, there is no easy way to clean an HK-94 that I know of" but that wouldn't have been much help. Then again, I really didn't tell you anything you don't already know.
Top Top