Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/27/2003 10:52:22 PM EDT
I finally got to the range with my new PTR-91, serial number 1XX, and it has the problem extracting soft brass.

Here's my concern; I could send it back for JLD to fix, but the gun is very accurate with Port surplus (5 rounds just over 1" @ 100 yards, repeatably, with a scope), and I bet it would be great with better ammo, but it won't extract it. The trigger group fits tightly, and the trigger pull, while a bit heavy (~ 6 lbs), breaks cleanly and will fix up nicely.

I'm thinking about giving the rifle to my gunsmith and ask him to lightly polish the chamber to see if it solves the extraction problem. From the looks of the fired cases, the chamber is actually pretty rough.

This seem practical? Or should I just throw the dice and ship the rifle to JLD to fix or replace?

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:54:15 AM EDT
I sent mine back. Who wants to have to scrounge around for a certain type of ammo, and what happens if or when that source dries up? Regarding your trigger, I had mine worked over by Williams and it is great now. I also fixed the loose trigger assembly myself. I questioned what I should do to make sure I get MY parts back, and the lady said to mark everything. So, I marked the trigger pack in 4 places with my name and the gun's serial number. Also, I did not send any mags back. The lady said to explain everything in a letter enclosed with the rifle, which I did, also explaining why no mags were returned, it's not a feeding problem but an extraction problem that they are painfully aware of. I also told them not to touch my trigger assembly for any reason what so ever. If they muck up my trigger pack it won't be by mistake, but I fully suspect that everything will be OK. They did not give me any hassle about having the trigger work done. Also, if you send it back in your hard case, be sure to mark the case also with your name and rifle's number.
Call first and get their UPS number so you won't be out any shipping too.
Top Top