Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2003 4:05:44 AM EDT
Anyone have experience with these rifles ???  I've found a brand new one at a dealer for a pretty good price.  Tell me what you know about them.

Thanks

-Nut
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anyone have experience with these rifles ???  I've found a brand new one at a dealer for a pretty good price.  Tell me what you know about them.

Thanks

-Nut

Well...you can go to either the HK Website for the official lowdown or to HKPRO.com for more info but in a nutshell:

a. The SL8-1 is the civilian-legal version of the G36 assault rifle adopted by the German Bundeswehr. However unlike the G36, the SL8-1 had to comply with the stupid import criteria and therefore comes with a thumbhole stock, a non-threaded barrel, and a single stacked 10-rd magazine. The composite furniture also comes in a non-threatening gray color.

b. However, all is not that bad. The SL8-1 barrel is a heavy cold-hammer forged free floated barrel. When used with proper ammo, it is more accurate than a standard G36. The gas system is a short-stroke piston type and will therefore keep your internals relatively clean even after shooting many rounds. The sight rail has MIL-STD-1913 compatible slots and can mount optics. You can also buy a shorter sight rail or G36 type carry handles with integral red dot sights.

c.  I've recently test fired my SL8-1, sighting it in with a scope. Since the barrel has a 1 in 7" twist, I used 62-grain FMJ ammo and it worked fine. Just stay away from Wolf ammo. Accuracy was superb. Another added benefit with the twist rate is that you can use heavier bullets like the 77-grain SMK at extended ranges.

d.  Now if you have more $$$ to burn, then you can really tricked up your SL8-1. Other members of this board have dyed it black, had the barrel cut, installed a fixed pistol grip stock & G36 carry handle, and installed a mag well conversion so that high capacity AR-15 mags can be used. It all depends on how much $$$ you want to sink into the project.      
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
A lawers (PC'd) designed rifle that goes for $1100.  The stock cracks, and HK will not repair it.

Bottom line is that for the price that you are going to pay for the rifle, you can get a AR-15 DCM rig that will out shot the rifle by at least half the group size.

If you have to have a HK, then wait for them to build a USA plant, then buy the new G36 design.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A lawers (PC'd) designed rifle that goes for $1100.  The stock cracks, and HK will not repair it.

Bottom line is that for the price that you are going to pay for the rifle, you can get a AR-15 DCM rig that will out shot the rifle by at least half the group size.

If you have to have a HK, then wait for them to build a USA plant, then buy the new G36 design.  

I would not hold my breath on this one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]
We can wish tho.. (on an hk plant). :(
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#5]
They will build a US plant in the hopes of getting a government contract much like FN did but forget about civilian sales of the G36.  It would require a redesign to make a semi version.  You have a better chance of seeing a new upper for the M16/AR15 from them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe many dealers are unloading their supplies of SL-8s. I think the going rate is $850. HK fixed the cracking problem in their latest run of SL-8s (before dropping them). I don't see why they wouldn't repair an unaltered SL-8 though.

They're good shooters, very easy to clean, and make a fun (but expensive) project gun.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I own an SL8-4,no stock issues here as it has not been modified to meet Uncle sam's requirements,it feeds from a double stacked mag using modified G36 mags,comes in black from the factory and has a short rail on to for mounting optics (not that ridiculous sight arrangement on the SL8-1).It still has the thumb hole stock but is fairly comfortable to shoot. Here it is with a few other HKs the only thing added was a KAC Rail system for the G36 and the G36 dual optics.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mg34/pics/hks.jpg
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry to say I dont have any experience with them but i've heard they get some pretty good accuracy and are comfortable to handle.
Does anybody know why HK's stopping the SL8 as it was only introduced a few years ago.  Need some advice too, I was wanting to trade my postban AR upper which is new and about 8-9 30rd mags for an SL8 at an upcoming show does this sound like a good trade or should I throw in a redi-mag and some cash?, upper also has optics that i paid about $100 for.

Thanks,
Josh  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sorry to say I dont have any experience with them but i've heard they get some pretty good accuracy and are comfortable to handle.
Does anybody know why HK's stopping the SL8 as it was only introduced a few years ago.  Need some advice too, I was wanting to trade my postban AR upper which is new and about 8-9 30rd mags for an SL8 at an upcoming show does this sound like a good trade or should I throw in a redi-mag and some cash?, upper also has optics that i paid about $100 for.

Thanks,
Josh  

What Mfr and type of AR upper is it ? You might be able to unload that in a private transaction at the gunshow but my experience with gunshow dealers are that they won't touch it. You have a better chance of trading one of your guns to a dealer than an AR upper plus mags.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The manufacturer is Olympic and its a 16in flat top with picatinny front sight base.  Only thing is at the shows every SL8 I've seen is at a dealer booth.  Don't know the reason for this but I'm hoping its that nobody wants to part with their SL8.  

Also LDAguy here is a site that might be of some assistance: http://remtek.com/arms/hk/civ/sl8/sl8.htm

On a side note I heard if the gun is modified to accept hicaps that the lifetime warranty is voided.  Though what wonderful features might the SL8 have on it if it was produced before the AWB, even though it was produced in response to it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I love mine, bought her a couple of months ago. I also bought the g36 folding bi pod, it works great, and comes on and off in seconds. You'll find them on gunsamerica.com for anywhere from 1,000-1,400 dollars. frames cracking???? I'll have to wait and see. they do have a lifetime guarantee, so I'd love to see them try not to fix them!!!I like the gray color, it's nice to bring something different to the range besides the AR's, AK's, and SKS's. Mine always causes a stir at the range, she gets passed around like a $2.00 crack ho!!!Much easier to disassemble and clean than an AR, IMHO...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top