Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a ton to contribute to the way the threat was intended to go, but first off condolences to your family.

However, I know you're in Northern UT. I'm downtown SLC, and own all the tools to assemble an FAL.  You're welcome to borrow the tools to build it yourself, or I can assemble it for you, if you'd like.  Just IM me what you think, If you decide to assemble it.

I just got these two together recently from kits and they shoot great on the Imbel receivers I built them on.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have a ton to contribute to the way the threat was intended to go, but first off condolences to your family.

However, I know you're in Northern UT. I'm downtown SLC, and own all the tools to assemble an FAL.  You're welcome to borrow the tools to build it yourself, or I can assemble it for you, if you'd like.  Just IM me what you think, If you decide to assemble it.

I just got these two together recently from kits and they shoot great on the Imbel receivers I built them on.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/286123/IMG_8813-2-696238.JPG
View Quote
That is very kind and generous of you.

I'll give you a holler.  I guess I need to find an Imbel receiver.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
you have a pm about not spending ~$900 on a second hand receiver on Gunbroker or forum sale section.

Also, I can be of somewhat help to you or anyone else out there thinking of building their own FAL, as I gained a lot of good experience building my own recently.

I highly recommend everyone getting an FAL.  It is my personal favorite .308 caliber Battle Rifle, even with the modern .308 SCAR taking into consideration the $3,000 price tags.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've been building, working on, trouble-shooting, and studying various firearms designs since the 1980s.

Is there anything preventing me from getting a receiver and doing a build if I have a fair degree of mechanical abilities, or am I better off sending the parts to a reputable builder?

I know FALs aren't the same as AR15s or AR10s.
View Quote
Sorry for your loss. Brothers may leave our side but they never leave our heart.

It's worth an Imbel receiver. At one time Coonan was turning out some beautiful receivers. DSA receivers may be the easiest to acquire.

You'll be surprised at how fast you'll learn the FAL construction nuances.

There are a few specialized tools but the process is simply putting the pieces together one step at a time.

Mark is an awesome resource and there's probably not a question he can't answer immediately or get an answer for.

The FALFiles/forum will have every part you need or want.

EDIT TO ADD: Wow! There's already a metric ton of information here!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again everyone for your kind words and wisdom shared here.

I keep going back and forth on what to do.

As it is right now, I have a working CAI L1A1 SLR build with all Brit parts other than the receiver.

I didn't realize how scarce some things have become regarding Brit parts, but it makes sense since the SLR was retired from active service when they switched to the SA80 when I was a kid.

I just put the L2A2 SUIT up in the EE.  It has more value to collectors than it will to me, as I don't see myself using anything but modern optics, and I like the FAL as it is with irons.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sorry for your loss.

Cancer is an evil bitch.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Any old-timers know about the quality of Armscorp FAL receivers?
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
My recollection could be way off, but I remember Armscorp manufacturing cast receivers but also importing receivers and rifles.

I wouldn't use a cast receiver.  Just my personal preference when forged are readily available.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been looking at British Commonwealth references for bayonets, but still am wondering which type this one is:

ETA:  I found it.  The markings are really small, but says "L.1.A.3 960-0257 B"
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I am so sorry about your brother.  Praying for strength and comfort for you and your family.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As it is right now, I have a working CAI L1A1 SLR build with all Brit parts other than the receiver.

I didn't realize how scarce some things have become regarding Brit parts, but it makes sense since the SLR was retired from active service when they switched to the SA80 when I was a kid.

I just put the L2A2 SUIT up in the EE.  It has more value to collectors than it will to me, as I don't see myself using anything but modern optics, and I like the FAL as it is with irons.
View Quote
Just saw this thread and I'm sorry about the loss of your brother.

Were it me, I'd source whatever parts needed to complete the build and then find a DSA UK pattern receiver to finish it (I picked one up and yes, it needs some minor work but I think its good overall).  I didn't see a bolt carrier in your picture, but I assume you have one.  You'll need a UK lower receiver to replace the Indian 1A1 that you have now.  Apex has UK lowers for $70.00 and Mark G. or someone else can reinstall the grip stud, if he doesn't have a good lower already.  Original pebble grain "resin" handguards can still be found, and the last pair that I purchased in the UK were NIW for $80.00 USD.

These things can take months and sometimes years to complete, but you have what looks like an intact barrel without the threads cut off, so I'd be very tempted to take my time, find the parts and a quality receiver, and finish it.  The money you spend now will seem expensive, but in ten years you'll look back and tell yourself "I wish I could have put two more together at that price".
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#12]
The DSa Brit pattern might be an option.

A safe bet would be to talk to Mark Graham and let him build it.   He could inspect it before getting too deep and send it back if it is unfixable.  QC is spotty now.   Coonan had so much trouble they quit warranting them to be buildable.  DSA I think will make good on theirs.

I wish I bought a DSA Australian pattern when I could.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Were it me, I'd source whatever parts needed to complete the build and then find a DSA UK pattern receiver to finish it (I picked one up and yes, it needs some minor work but I think its good overall).  I didn't see a bolt carrier in your picture, but I assume you have one.  You'll need a UK lower receiver to replace the Indian 1A1 that you have now.  Apex has UK lowers for $70.00 and Mark G. or someone else can reinstall the grip stud, if he doesn't have a good lower already.  Original pebble grain "resin" handguards can still be found, and the last pair that I purchased in the UK were NIW for $80.00 USD.

These things can take months and sometimes years to complete, but you have what looks like an intact barrel without the threads cut off, so I'd be very tempted to take my time, find the parts and a quality receiver, and finish it.  The money you spend now will seem expensive, but in ten years you'll look back and tell yourself "I wish I could have put two more together at that price".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your generosity.  That's very kind of you.  I will take you up on the handguards.

So it looks like I need a different lower too.

Based on the stock tang that protrudes from the rear of the lower, I figured it was for a wooden stock, because it doesn't fit the L1A1 stock.

Link Posted: 11/24/2018 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The trigger housing and return spring tube look like they are "metric" pattern, fitted with L1A1 parts.  Not sure how the grip was made compatible.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The trigger housing and return spring tube look like they are "metric" pattern, fitted with L1A1 parts.  Not sure how the grip was made compatible.
View Quote
The vertical numbers on the lower would indicate it may be an Ishapore 1A1 part, which he could sell on FAL Files to help fund the project.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The vertical numbers on the lower would indicate it may be an Ishapore 1A1 part, which he could sell on FAL Files to help fund the project.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't realize that they used a similar stock as metric rifles, with the trigger housing shaped accordingly.  Makes more sense given the installation of the Commonwealth style grip, which I don't believe is compatible with metric lowers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I didn't realize that they used a similar stock as metric rifles, with the trigger housing shaped accordingly.  Makes more sense given the installation of the Commonwealth style grip, which I don't believe is compatible with metric lowers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indian 1A1s are a weird combination of metric and inch characteristics, and from what I understand they were manufactured as unlicensed copies.

FN of Herstal Belgium was on the losing end of India's decision to adopt a copy of the design without paying for it.

Typical third-world mindset.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#18]
My goodness.

Prayers sent.

Nice rifle. Build up that kit for his son if he had one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Observation:

OP has a metric carry handle of undetermined origin instead of a proper inch carry handle in his kit, so if he's smart he'll hang on to it once it's replaced and over time it will grow into a complete metric rifle to compliment his inch pattern SLR.  Unless he sells the Indian 1A1 lower, it too will grow into a complete rifle.

1 ea unused random part laying about=project=complete rifle.

It's the way of FALs and M14s.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:20:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Observation:

OP has a metric carry handle of undetermined origin instead of a proper inch carry handle in his kit, so if he's smart he'll hang on to it once it's replaced and over time it will grow into a complete metric rifle to compliment his inch pattern SLR.  Unless he sells the Indian 1A1 lower, it too will grow into a complete rifle.

1 ea unused random part laying about=project=complete rifle.

It's the way of FALs and M14s.
View Quote
Just wanted to publicly thank you for hooking me up with the correct handguards, carry handle, and an Hk G1 receiver cover.

A lot of people seem to default-state that members of this forum are scum of the earth, but my experience over the years has been very positive with everyone I've interacted with when meeting them in person, dealing with the EE, and things like this.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#22]
From your pictures i think I see numbers stamped on the bottom of the bolt. That is where the indians put them. You generally can tell indian parts because they are generally roughly machined. They never had good cutting tools. I am a FAL Files member and have built up a number of them. Metric butstocks will not fit an indian lower. Believe me I tried. You do have an Indian lower. The numbers go down rather than sideways. The angry beavers at century made a batch of rifles using Indian parts. They are commonly refered to as the bastard step child. I am not home right now but I am sure I have a stripped L1A1 bolt I could trade you if you want. Email me at  [email protected]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top