Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 12:08:42 PM EDT
Is the Malaysian 7.62x51 good ammo? Looks like a few places have the 540 rds for $200. looking to buy some of that so I can shoot my rifle when I get this cast off.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is the Malaysian 7.62x51 good ammo? Looks like a few places have the 540 rds for $200. looking to buy some of that so I can shoot my rifle when I get this cast off.
View Quote

One of my FAL builds will ONLY run on the stuff.  I need more!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I got some from SGammo last week and shot 80 rounds at the range this week. It's good stuff and goes bang every time. It's surprisingly clean burning too. Just a tip, it's berdan primed (but non-corrosive) so reloading is out of the question for most folks. Buy it while you can, I'm probably going to get another can before it dries up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Fantastic! Gonna order a can today!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought 1980 rds of it and the last thing that I need is more 7.62X51mm ammo. 
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One of my FAL builds will ONLY run on the stuff.  I need more!
View Quote
Then you need to fix your rifle.

Malaysian is decent stuff, but I'd save my pennies for Lithuanian (GGG) surplus. Reloadable and probably the best 7.62 NATO "surplus" yet made.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the "decent stuff" post above.  Works OK, but not as accurate as Portuguese in my FAL.  It was about as accurate as South African ammo in my FAL.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Then you need to fix your rifle.

Malaysian is decent stuff, but I'd save my pennies for Lithuanian (GGG) surplus. Reloadable and probably the best 7.62 NATO "surplus" yet made.
View Quote
Often problems related to FALs and finicky performance like that (aside from ammo itself)  are related to the gas tube and under gassed from wear in the gas system.

A new gas tube can do wonders and is an easy fix, sometimes opening the port up a tiny bit will do it too.  Many of these retired parts kits were a bit worn in this area - but can be made much more reliable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top