Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2017 8:56:27 PM EDT
How are the current production DSA FALs in regard to build quality, accuracy, and reliability?  I am looking into adding a FAL to my collection and I am strongly considering one.  I'd like to hear about some experiences or thoughts on the new rifles.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a new Forged Receiver FAL from them; 18" barrel, full stock. So far its doing pretty well, no issues with feeding or operation. The Ceracoat finish is really good looking and well done too. Accuracy is perfectly acceptable,its about 2-2.5 moa with ZQI, so no complaints there.
That said I'm only a few hundred rounds into it, so we shall see.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  Glad to hear.  I've been considering the DSA SA58 16" and the CZ Bren 805.  I tend to like old school firearms a bit more so that has me leaning towards the FAL.  I know I've read mixed reviews in the past on DSA rifles but haven't heard much about them as of late.  Just want to make sure I'm getting a solid rifle since I'll be forking out like $1,500.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:02:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quality controul has been going downhill for some time.  There have been serious issues with pats like receivers and bolts, and my understanding is that, knowing about the defects with their bolts, in the past they've swapped bolts from surplus parts kits with theirs for complete rifles that they sold, but I don't believe that they do this anymore for want of such parts.  LMT no longer makes their receivers, and their in-house production isn't very good.  I believe a few other parts have had issues, and their magazines suck.  It's unfortunate, because they are the only name in the game right now when it comes to complete new-production FALs in the U.S.

Honestly, if you're willing to go through the trouble, you can get an IMBEL parts kit in the $500-600 range, an IMBEL or LMT-made DSA receiver for about the same, and get it assembled and refinished by a reputable builder for not much more than what the complete rifle from DSA will cost.  If you can borrow the tools and get some instruction on what you need to do to build it yourself, it might even save you money compared to the DSA.

For barrel length, you can get the IMBEL barrel cut down or sell the full-length one and buy one already cut down.  The gas port will need to be opened up.  I would caution against a 16" barrel, as barrels that short can sometimes be problematic with the standard gas system, even with the port opened up.  FN's "super short" length, also made by IMBEL, was 17.17" (436mm), which is nearly as short as you can get it and have reliable function consistently from rifle to rifle, and the shortest length that allows the compatibility of bayonets and rifle grenades with the front sling swivel on a bipod-cut barrel.

If you want to save weight on a build, you can replace the lower with a DSA aluminum one (these still are GTG AFAIK); won't save as much as genuine FN lightweight stuff (the alloy used by FN is a bit lighter, and the pistol grip stud, recoil tube, and RT plug were all made out of the alloy, while DSA's are steel), but it will cost way less and still save substantial weight.  In that case, get an LMT-made DSA receiver that matches the cuts on the recoil plate, either Type 1, Type 1.5, or Type 2.  DSA's titanium combo devices so far sound decent enough and will help save more weight, as will DSA's handguards (and contribute US-made parts), which weigh about 3-4 ounces less than most OEM plastic handguards.  There are other aluminum parts to be found as well, such as top covers, trigger guards, pistol grip nuts, magazines, etc.  For ergonomics, I think using an FN Minimi/SAW pistol grip and a DSA or modified Commonwealth extended selector is the way to go.  I also like the StG-58 plastic stock, which gives a bit higher cheek weld and weighs less.

Whatever route you choose, stick with surplus magazines or Moses magazines.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks!  Glad to hear.  I've been considering the DSA SA58 16" and the CZ Bren 805.  I tend to like old school firearms a bit more so that has me leaning towards the FAL.  I know I've read mixed reviews in the past on DSA rifles but haven't heard much about them as of late.  Just want to make sure I'm getting a solid rifle since I'll be forking out like $1,500.
View Quote
I'm a new owner of a PSA 16" from Atlantic Firearms.  It was $999 IIRC.  I've had no problems with it functioning and I liked it so much I got the PARA conversion kit from DSA.  I will say that my brand new original rifle was missing the Gas Regulator Sleeve Spring so I sent DSA an email and they sent me one the next day.  When I got my PARA conversion kit, the lower fit extremely tight on the frame and when mated, the Frame Lock Lever would fall out because the Frame Lock Fastening Screw was missing from the lower.  I had DSA send me a shipping label and they sent me a brand new conversion kit and this one was 100%.

I've had no problems with the factory magazine that was sent with the rifle.

The moral of this story is that DSA has been very good about customer service and making sure that things get corrected.  I'd like to see the quality control get better as both of my orders have have missing parts.  Since I converted my original rifle to a PARA, I now have this lone lower that needs a barreled upper.  I'm considering getting DSA to build me a barreled upper so i's have another rifle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm a new owner of a PSA 16" from Atlantic Firearms.  It was $999 IIRC.  I've had no problems with it functioning and I liked it so much I got the PARA conversion kit from DSA.  I will say that my brand new original rifle was missing the Gas Regulator Sleeve Spring so I sent DSA an email and they sent me one the next day.  When I got my PARA conversion kit, the lower fit extremely tight on the frame and when mated, the Frame Lock Lever would fall out because the Frame Lock Fastening Screw was missing from the lower.  I had DSA send me a shipping label and they sent me a brand new conversion kit and this one was 100%.

I've had no problems with the factory magazine that was sent with the rifle.

The moral of this story is that DSA has been very good about customer service and making sure that things get corrected.  I'd like to see the quality control get better as both of my orders have have missing parts.  Since I converted my original rifle to a PARA, I now have this lone lower that needs a barreled upper.  I'm considering getting DSA to build me a barreled upper so i's have another rifle.
View Quote
Disappointing to hear that you've had a couple issues with it.  At the same it's good to know that DSA has great customer service and stands behind their product.  I'll probably buy the FAL.  What do you think of the PARA stock vs. the standard stock?  I'm considering swapping out the standard stock for a PARA once I receive it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a custom rifle that they had for sale a few weeks back. It was the SA58 18" Classic, and it runs like a charm !!!  I had no issues running 147gr German surplus that I got from sportsman guide. Gas setting at 5.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I like it.  I also like the standard stock.  I'm glad I got the PARA stock but be aware that there is a PARA cut receiver and top cover and a non-PARA cut receiver and top cover .  I'm getting the impression from DSA that their recent receivers are all non-PARA cut.  You can google the difference but in a nutshell the PARA cut top cover better holds the bolt, bolt carrier and springs in the top cover during assembly as that entire set up is different from the full stocked FAL.  The PARA cut top cover has an extended lip on the "nose" that fits in a recess in the PARA cut of the receiver.  If you do like I did you'll need to get the non-PARA cut offering from DSA.  I don't have a PARA cut receiver so I can't speak with any authority.  In all honesty after you assemble the non-PARA cut a couple of times you get the hang of it and it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one 21" Para and four 21" barrel fixed-stock FAL's. I really like the balance of the Para with the lighter, shorter stock and an aluminum lower, but I also appreciate the relative simplicity and parts longevity on a fixed-stock model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top