Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2017 9:49:03 AM EDT
ok, I just bought ti but still let me know how I just complicated my life a bit more.
What do I have here and how much is it worth? Buy or not?
What can you say about those markigns?

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:10:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I love an StG58.  other than that Idk much about the markings.  They look correct.  I hope someone here can help.  Unless it is going to put you in a bind, buy it.  Where is the rifle?  Argentina?  Location will determine price
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope, left my Argy FAL PARA in Argentina. Thats what I know and am used to, thats why I asked because these are all new to me.
I'm in Spain. The price I piad is about right at 1200 with shipping, paperwork and the stuff in the pic.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I am just shooting in the dark but the early STG-58s were build by FN before Styer took over. First 20K I believe. Austrian, some still used by their military.

These have Hammer forged barrels, CL.

Styer Gun, made in 1959 numbers all matching on a Dan Conan Receiver.

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=2236

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love an StG58.  other than that Idk much about the markings.  They look correct.  I hope someone here can help.  Unless it is going to put you in a bind, buy it.  Where is the rifle?  Argentina?  Location will determine price
View Quote
Just boguht it, not Argentina. Its in Spain.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
As it states on the receiver, it is a Steyr manufactured StG58.  Has a type III  receiver.  Small stamps are proof/inspection markings.

Yes, type I my bad.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As it states on the receiver, it is a Steyr manufactured StG58.  Has a type III receiver.  Small stamps are proof/inspection markings.
View Quote
It has a type 1 receiver. The bore is not chrome lined, but the chamber is. Most likely, this rifle is a mix of Steyr and FN parts. As I understand, part of the licensing agreement between Steyr and FN stipulated that a certain number of parts must be purchased from FN after production began in Austria. It is also my understanding that the parts purchased from FN were used as spares in the military inventory to repair weapons in service rather than being used to manufacture new rifles.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It has a type 1 receiver. The bore is not chrome lined, but the chamber is. Most likely, this rifle is a mix of Steyr and FN parts. As I understand, part of the licensing agreement between Steyr and FN stipulated that a certain number of parts must be purchased from FN after production began in Austria. It is also my understanding that the parts purchased from FN were used as spares in the military inventory to repair weapons in service rather than being used to manufacture new rifles.
View Quote
Its a pretty late model, +120K, still think it uses FN parts?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Its a pretty late model, +120K, still think it uses FN parts?
View Quote
FN parts were used as spares in military inventory. As rifles were repaired while in service, unit armorers used the next part in the inventory without regard to origin. So, an all Steyr rifle, as delivered to the Army, could be repaired using FN parts while in service. When the rifles were surplussed, they were surplussed as they were after repair.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FN parts were used as spares in military inventory. As rifles were repaired while in service, unit armorers used the next part in the inventory without regard to origin. So, an all Steyr rifle, as delivered to the Army, could be repaired using FN parts while in service. When the rifles were surplussed, they were surplussed as they were after repair.
View Quote
So if this rifle saw any service, what markings should it have?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The Steyr production parts usually have a small oval with a number in it.  Just like the furthest mark to the right in the OP pic on the right side of the lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top