Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2017 10:22:22 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've been interested in getting a FAL lately and was wondering what my best option would be. I have a slight preference for something that looks period correct for the Rhodesian bush wars. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I've been interested in getting a FAL lately and was wondering what my best option would be. I have a slight preference for something that looks period correct for the Rhodesian bush wars. Thanks!
View Quote

There is one right now on Texas Gun Trader.
ETA: not mine I'm not shilling, price is more than I'm willing to pay or I would have bought it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Secondary market- Gunjoker, Equipment Exchange, FAL Files Marketplace- is your best bet, FAL Files, in particular.

For a Rhodesian rifle, the representative pattern for the "hot" period of the Bush War 1972-1980 is this:

R1 upper receiver (Type 1 or 2 can be used in a pinch. No Type 3.)
Type 1 Lower
Type D (synthetic) long buttstock
21" barrel with combo device
Grenade launcher sight/gas plug marked in meters
200-600m  sliding rear sight
Non-bipod-cut handguards
Standard 50.00 model pistol grip
Carry handle chopped off to leave a ring to fill the carry handle slot
No sling. Sling swivels were commonly removed altogether.

FN Herstal, Belgium-produced rifles ordered by South Africa and then passed on to the Rhodesians commonly had standard-length wood Type C buttsocks (with metal buttplate and ferrule). South Africa also made long Type C buttstocks. After Portugal unassed Africa in 1975, they left behind many G3's, plus M962 and G1 FALs. The latter were supplied to Portugal by Germany after they standardized on the G3. So, some FN's used in Rhodesia had bayonet lugs on the barrel with either a bare muzzle or the combo device added, metal handguards, and aluminum cocking handle knobs. I even have a picture saved of a Rhodesian FN with a wood Type C stock and the long Browning-type flash hider. Wood stocks typically broke with hard use, so they became scarce as the war went on.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Secondary market- Gunjoker, Equipment Exchange, FAL Files Marketplace- is your best bet, FAL Files, in particular.

For a Rhodesian rifle, the representative pattern for the "hot" period of the Bush War 1972-1980 is this:

R1 upper receiver (Type 1 or 2 can be used in a pinch. No Type 3.)
Type 1 Lower
Type D (synthetic) long buttstock
21" barrel with combo device
Grenade launcher sight/gas plug marked in meters
200-600m  sliding rear sight
Non-bipod-cut handguards
Standard 50.00 model pistol grip
Carry handle chopped off to leave a ring to fill the carry handle slot
No sling. Sling swivels were commonly removed altogether.

FN Herstal, Belgium-produced rifles ordered by South Africa and then passed on to the Rhodesians commonly had standard-length wood Type C buttsocks (with metal buttplate and ferrule). South Africa also made long Type C buttstocks. After Portugal unassed Africa in 1975, they left behind many G3's, plus M962 and G1 FALs. The latter were supplied to Portugal by Germany after they standardized on the G3. So, some FN's used in Rhodesia had bayonet lugs on the barrel with either a bare muzzle or the combo device added, metal handguards, and aluminum cocking handle knobs. I even have a picture saved of a Rhodesian FN with a wood Type C stock and the long Browning-type flash hider. Wood stocks typically broke with hard use, so they became scarce as the war went on.
View Quote
R1s only had the Type 1.5 receiver, and the unique South African type (there is a different version made by FN).  Coonan and DSA have both reproduced these.  Unfortunately, one can't convert a Type 2 because the mag well lightening cut is different (triangular instead of quadrangular, with longer radii on the corners).  Coonan initially did a shit job with the markings, but their later ones came out awesome; they made these before their QC went down a bit.  They looked better, IMO, than the DSA markings; back then, one could have ordered theirs with a custom serial number, too (and would again if they ever did another run).  Coonan machines part of the receiver differently, so it looks like there is a gap between the bolt carrier and receiver.  Current DSAs are made in-house now instead of being made by LMT, and there are QC issues with them, and on the FAL Files there is now evidence that some were cut incorrectly (cut like a Type 1 at the front end instead of like a Type 2).

The correct lower receiver for an R1 is a South African Type 2 lower receiver.  Generally, if one looks hard enough one can find all of the SA parts that needed for a build, although the numbers most likely won't match if that's important for the OP.  Everything else sounds right.  However, if a complete parts kit comes with a correct-type carry handle for the kit and/or sling swivels, they were probably present on the actual rifle.  Even by the end of the Bush War, one could still find rifles with slings, sling swivels, and carry handles.  

For more general Rhodesian rifles, they had a wide variety to choose from.  Of course you have the South African contract FN FALs and the older SA M2s, plus the two types Portugal left behind (m/962 and G-1, as you mentioned).  You also had Belgian and Force Publique M1s and M2s confiscated from Katangese forces that withdrew into Northern Rhodesia as the country fell to a UN invasion, although these were uncommon.  Supposedly Southern Rhodesia/Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland got some rifles from FN before UDI.  Before UDI, they got British SLRs plus some Australian SLRs, and Rhodesia got some Indian ones as well.  Among FNs captured were Congolese-contract rifles, including para models.  Rhodesia or South Africa (probably the former) also converted R1 lowers into a para configuration.  Other FALs of more typical configurations (mostly fixed-stock) using Type 1 or Type 2 receivers (or the transitional Type 1.5 and one that lies between the Type 1 and Type 1.5) were imported in sanctions-busting efforts.  There is quite the variety.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, Type 2 lower. Brain fart on that one.

Both of my DSA uppers have the Type 2 cut forward of the magazine well, but the latest was bought back in March, so I can't speak to anything sold after.

I didn't even bother mentioning the rifles that came in via Katanga in 1961 as those were basically inconsequential. I'd like to see evidence of the Federation getting FN's.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep, Type 2 lower. Brain fart on that one.

Both of my DSA uppers have the Type 2 cut forward of the magazine well, but the latest was bought back in March, so I can't speak to anything sold after.

I didn't even bother mentioning the rifles that came in via Katanga in 1961 as those were basically inconsequential. I'd like to see evidence of the Federation getting FN's.
View Quote
Someone on the FAL Files posted a list of countries with contracts for FALs with FN from one of the major reference books.  Rhodesia was on the list and IIRC the dates may have overlapped with the Federation days.  I asked about what might have been purchased and in what numbers, because as far as I know Rhodesia only had SLRs through UDI, but apparently no one has the details and FN's records with such details most likely don't exist anymore.  I definitely would like to know more about that.

As for the uppers, one was posted on the FAL Files with the Type 1 style cut forward. Not sure when he purchased that receiver.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Gotcha. Now I remember the Files discussion. Cheers!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top