Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2017 6:50:01 PM EDT
My DSA came with a Holland style rear sights. It works, the sight itself doesn't bother me but the adjustment method leaves a lot to be desired. Hard to nail down the windage where I'm happy. Its acceptable and all but it either goes slightly left or slightly right. Drives me bonkers since the adjustment is so crude. Yes I know it's a battle rifle design so on. What's a good replacement for the Holland so that the windage adjustment is a little more fine. 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
is the Holland site not still adjustable by the set screws? I'd think you could use whatever adjustments that are on the site, then use the screws ti finese it in.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
is the Holland site not still adjustable by the set screws? I'd think you could use whatever adjustments that are on the site, then use the screws ti finese it in.
View Quote
The fixed 250m sight is only adjustable for windage, adjusted using the windage screws (I assume that's what you mean by the set screws) which screw into the trigger housing.  Each click, IIRC, equals 1cm change in POI at 100m (zeroing should be done at 250m for that sight, so 2.5cm, or about an inch, at that range).  Elevation is only adjusted for zeroing via the front sight, which is true for all FAL sight setups.

If the OP is fine with fixed elevation, the DSA sight offers that with field-adjustable windage, although the sight has no markings to assist with adjustments.

Other options are the two-position sight, which adjusts for elevation by switching apertures, with 150m and 250m settings and which adjusts for windage the same as other OEM FAL sights; the para tangent sight (for folding-butt rifles, if the OP's is one of these), which is like the standard tangent except that the angle is different and it only adjusts from 200-500m instead of 200-600m; standard tangent rear sight (for fixed-butt or modified folding-butt rifles), 200-600m.  If you look around you might also find a version of the HK-style diopter for FALs.  There is also the FN diopter, but this might require a taller front sight post (perhaps using the ones intended for the open-eared gas block); it utilizes a disc rather than a drum.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll have to mess with it again. There was no clicking on the screws at all that I noticed. The sight didn't move at all unless I backed off the opposing side. 

Huge disclaimer: other than pulling the trigger, this is the first FAL I've ever messed with so I'm learning. I could be doing this or something wrong. 
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Say you want to move the sight one click left. You back out the left screw by one click and then turn the right screw one click in.

Also, an option is to remove the z-spring under the rear sight if you want finer adjustments.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Say you want to move the sight one click left. You back out the left screw by one click and then turn the right screw one click in.

Also, an option is to remove the z-spring under the rear sight if you want finer adjustments.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. I'll mess with it again and see what I figure out. I'm leaning on the I was doing something wrong possibility. 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:04:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Not all rear sights have the z-spring and grooved screws.   My DSA built SA58 did not.   As a matter of fact there is not even a slot for the z-spring to go on the bottom.
I can't remember which country of origin they come from.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not all rear sights have the z-spring and grooved screws.   My DSA built SA58 did not.   As a matter of fact there is not even a slot for the z-spring to go on the bottom.
View Quote
Austria. Some of the StG58s were fitted as you described. 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:59:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mine is a DSA. Might be why I didn't noticed any clicks 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of the StG-58s are like that AFAIK.  I believe that for a number of parts DSA went with the style used on the StG-58
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#11]
You might look at the disk versions that the Canadian forces developed for their C1A1 FAL's. Disclosure: I have one for sale in the EE right now in the used sights/optics forum. But the pictures might give you a better idea what they are and why the Canadians created such a sight. I really like them on my FAL's-- especially when shooting prone as I find the eye relief to be too tight with the standard FAL slider sight.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mine is a DSA. Might be why I didn't noticed any clicks 
View Quote
I have a DSA and it clicks when you adjust the sight. It could be that they forgot to install the Z spring in your rifle like they forgot to install the gas regulator spring in my rifle. Take off the sight and see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top