Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2017 9:10:50 PM EDT
I have been a fan of the FAL since I bought my first one several years ago.  I am wondering if anyone knows of a company that makes a 5.56 version of the FAL, similar to the CAL, rifle or conversion kits.  I have looked at red rock arms, waiting to hear back from them, and looked at an article where Brazil converted theirs in the 80's.  I have also read the FALfiles website about some guy who goes by meeper, but those articles were over 10 years old and one said the guy was not in good health.  Would love to hear any information you guys might have.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
FNC
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#2]
What you have are the Brazilian versions brought in by SAI or otherwise, and parts kits.  They occasionally pop up.  Plus you have some Meeper conversions floating around, although I believe that they do use some of the Brazilian parts in the case of 5.56mm ones.  Brazil came out recently with a new 5.56mm carbine that is derived from the FAL, but it's not available here.  You just have to scan auction sites and specialized marketplaces like the FAL Files until you find a parts/conversion kit or complete firearm.  Could take a couple of years.  There is a parts kit on the FAL Files right now, but at minimum it's missing the magazine well adapter.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:53:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a link to SAI?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Springfield stopped importing them a rather long time ago.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FNC
View Quote
Not really a direct off shot. More like a kissing cousin.

Imbel makes the FN FAL look a like clone in 5.56. don't know if any made it during the Glory days.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I tried looking for some imbels to no avail.  Such is the way of things.  I seem to always be a little to late. Though I have found in some cases it was in my favor of not getting a bad product.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Meeper did do some .223 builds but they were more like a mag adapter and a Rem 700 barrel rethreaded, rechambered, and gas port drilled

I looked into one that was going to be on a Williams AL receiver
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, I tried looking for some imbels to no avail.  Such is the way of things.  I seem to always be a little to late. Though I have found in some cases it was in my favor of not getting a bad product.
View Quote
The IMBELs were imported under the SAI label.  I believe they stopped coming in with the Bush-era import ban.  I was a kid when they stopped coming in.  Some parts kits came later, but it's been years since those came in as well.  There is no currently produced domestic or imported rifle available.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
SAR 4800 (Imbel Brazil) was imported by Springfield Armory. They were heavy as shit for a 5.56 rifle, had very spotty reliability and the last of them imported were ban neutered rifles with thumbhole stocks and non functional  muzzle device. Most of the ones I've seen and handled have very little wear as I'm sure they weren't reliable enough to see much use. Imbel's Brazilian rifles were the MD-1, MD-2, MD-3 and the MD97.

One for sale...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/springfield-armory-rifles/springfield-sar-4800-match-rifle-rare-5-56-caliber.cfm?gun_id=100806666

Neutered version

https://www.gunsamerica.com/967391042/Springfield-Inc-SAR-4800-Sporter-5-56-mm.htm
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Red Rock Arms ATR1

Red Rock was formerly known as Bobcat Weapons, who made MP5 clones. According to the ATF's information, they made like 12 rifles last year and exported them. Since they stopped making MP5s around 10 years ago, I'm wondering if those guns were not 5.56 FALs.

A google search turns up actual photos of the Red Rock guns, so maybe they are out there?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, Red Rock Arms is no longer in business.  I just received an email from them yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Red Rock Arms did make some 5.56 FALs with aluminum receivers.  I don't know how many they made, but the remaining stock of parts for them are being sold by Gunplumber on the FALFiles.  The parts kits are missing the magazine well adapter because Red Rock machined their rifles' magwell to fit a STANAG magazine directly.  Maybe the reason Red Rock Arms never widely released their 5.56 FALs was due to the use of aluminum receivers.  Supposedly .223 FALs with aluminum receivers fare better than the infamous .308 "alumabombs", but they still must have been shaving their safety factors pretty tight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Wouldn't want one in 556.  Now 6.5 Grendel would be something
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#14]
As it happens, I just walked out of a gun shop (in Wash.) that had a Red Rock ATR-1 5.56 on the wall for $1,795. I can IM you the details if you're curious.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I think this is the closest I am going to get to it.  

http://www.jardinc.com/jard-ar-15-folding-stock-wleft-charging-handle/
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice SAR, but, for the love of all things holy, get that butthole stuck off.

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think this is the closest I am going to get to it.  

http://www.jardinc.com/jard-ar-15-folding-stock-wleft-charging-handle/
View Quote
A Daewoo K2 would be closer than that. Have you tried one? Unlike the CAL and FNC, they're still reasonably priced.
I'd avoid the Red Rock, and go for a SAR 4800 if you're dead-set on a 5.56mm FAL.

but here's an ATR-1 for $1,200 if you really want one:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/642459547
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I love Fals and own an MG FNC, I can't imagine with all the 556 options available today, trying to hunt down a 556 FAL given what's available out there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I love Fals and own an MG FNC, I can't imagine with all the 556 options available today, trying to hunt down a 556 FAL given what's available out there.
View Quote
I agree with this based upon my experience with a SAI SAR4800 in 223 many years ago.

If you're set on getting one - Mark Graham (Gunplumber of ARS Fame) has all of the 223 parts needed to turn a standard 762 FAL into a 223.  Just email him through his website.  HE ONLY HAS ONE "KIT".
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I agree with this based upon my experience with a SAI SAR4800 in 223 many years ago.

If you're set on getting one - Mark Graham (Gunplumber of ARS Fame) has all of the 223 parts needed to turn a standard 762 FAL into a 223.  Just email him through his website.  HE ONLY HAS ONE "KIT".
View Quote
Not everything.  It doesn't come with a magwell adapter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry!  Missed that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top