Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:15:13 PM EDT
Hey all,

Back when Obama got elected, I went on a shopping spree.  One of the items I picked up was a DSA SA58C.  I inspected it, cleaned it, and put it in the safe.  A few years earlier, I picked up some Steyr 20rd mags from DSA as they were cheap and I knew I'd get a FAL eventually.  Anyhow, this weekend, I took some of the new toys to the range (yeah, I know –– it's been way too long).  I got CONSISTENT FTFs using these mags in the SA58C.  To me, it looked like the shoulder of the round was getting hung up on the feed lips.  The rounds (WWB) worked fine in my PTR91.  If I dropped the mag and bumped home the round, it fired fine.

Are there known problems with the Steyr mags?  Do I need to file the feed lips?  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
BoB
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Not enough information...

Try another manufacturer of FAL mags and see if you get any FTF...

If so, then it is your FAL you need to look at. Worst case, DSA should still fix it under warranty... but it may take awhile.

If no FTF with other mags, investigate the Steyr mags... But I have many and they have never been an issue in my DSA ST58-C

Rmpl
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you adjust your gas properly?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Did you adjust your gas properly?

This.  Here's the process.  First, make sure your magazines trip the bolt hold latch by inserting an empty one and pulling the charging handle all the way to the rear.

1.  Load one round in a magazine (or 1 in a series of magazines)

2.  Insert the magazine and chamber a round

3.  Fire the round.  Did the bolt lock back?  If not, you need to adjust your gas setting.  With a gas adjustment tool or the tip of a bullet, rotate the gas adjustment two clicks clockwise.  (Clockwise from the perception of a person firing the rifle)

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the bolt latches back.

Put in a full magazine and rock and roll.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top