Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2002 5:00:36 PM EDT
Is there a setup for the FAL that will allow the use of a red dot sight, and the irons as backup? I don't think there is a way to co-witness the sights THRU the red dot, due to the arrangement of the sights. Any thoughts? Thanks!

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 5:07:56 AM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Gloftoe, I was thinking that you may be able to use one of the Docter Sights or Optimas since they are the smallest, lowest profile dot sights out there.  
Below is a pic of my Docter sight on my full size registered Uzi SMG.  I made the mount myself for the lowest profile where the dot is on top of the front sight post.  I had an FN before and think you may be able to make a small mount for the application your looking for.  I normally don't visit the FAL board so email me if you want more info.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]
DEPENDING ON RED DOT TUBE SIZE.

1 INCH AND 30mm YOU CAN USE SEE THRU RINGS MOUNTED ON YOUR WEAVER BASE.

40mm AND LARGER REQUIRE SOME WHAT OF A CUSTOM HI-RAISE BASE THAT IS CLAMPED ON TO A LOWER WEAVER BASE.

EITHER WAY IT WOULD REQUIRE YOUR SCOPE TO SIT EXTREMLY HIGH OFF THE RECEIVER, IN ORDER TO USE THE IRONS,I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT BUT THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAY`S/SOMETIMES RIGHT.

GOOD LUCK.
RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K. CUSTOM GUNSMITHING
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#4]
what about a optima with a flip up rear sight.Or you could use the DSA mount with Leupold QD rings for a full size dot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Leupold Gilmore 2 MOA red dot on see through mount on my STG-58.  It worked OK.

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Leupold Gilmore 2 MOA red dot on see through mount on my STG-58.  It worked OK.

www.supercharger.net/private/fal.jpg

Where'd you get the see-through mount ??

THX
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to try my ARMS #3, and put an ARMS #5 on top of it.  It (#5) has see thru, but don't know if it'll work.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:22:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a set of see-through rings from the local sporting good store.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with a compact ACOG with an ARMS #19 mount and left the iron sights obscured. In the event of a failure of the ACOG the #19 mounts can be flipped off (and it's not the best thing to be doing in a firefight).

Link Posted: 10/5/2002 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#10]
hmmm...ARMS #19 looks promising

I'd like to put some kind of optic (a red dot or low power scope) on my carbine.

THX for the pix
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#11]
i've got a b-square riser on my fal. it allows you to see right thru the irons and use a red dot or scope of choice. i have a eo tech halo and love it. the batt life for the n batteries sucks though...so if you ever get one , get the one that takes 'aa' batteries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top