Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/17/2006 7:47:57 AM EDT
I know these questions have probably been asked, but I really like the looks of the rifle I have never shot one but I have handled of few.

1. How accurate are they? The same as an AR?

2. Instead of asking who makes the best and sparking a flame war, who are the most favored FAL makers?

3. Are they good long range rifles?

4. Are optics easy to mount?

5. How plentiful are the parts, magazines, ammunition?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KJC

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:21:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 8:26:22 AM EDT by raf]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:39:16 AM EDT
Yep, that's pretty much it.

I got mine from a builder in OH. I pretty much rolled the dice. Very happy with it so far. It likes 150g, and shoots 2MOA with irons.

With the GPG US made barrels getting rave reviews I'm starting to rethink the 4 MOA accuracy standard.

Even still, don't expect to see sub MOA out of a stocker. The benefit? I'll shoot a couple hundred rounds at a time. When I pull it apart to clean it, the lube on the bolt carrier looks as if I just put it there. I clean the chamber, bore, gas piston and put it away.

Just picked up the parts for another one. Couldn't help it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:51:40 AM EDT

what RAF said
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:57:48 AM EDT
Thanks for the info it was very helpful.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:59:12 AM EDT
RAF gave you a good general run down. I will add that of the 8 F A Ls that I have built, none have produced groups over 3 MOA with good surplus ammo.

I will also add that the Austrian made StG58s were THE BEST military F A Ls ever made and the rifles built from the StG58 kits are excellent firearms.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:04:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2006 2:06:56 AM EDT by callgood]
RE: #5

Parts- For a standard FAL you can get anything you need from DSA. You should definitely order what you might need ahead of time. I placed an order 28 Feb. Shipping Mar 20. They were holding the whole order for an out of stock item- (a week, 10 days spent waiting for them to email me to tell me they don't ship to PO boxes).

Ammunition- You can still get South African for .15-.16 cents a round.

ETA- oh yeah, magazines. CDNN has them for around 10 bucks. AR10s are around 40 each in Sportsman's Guide. I have some of the CDNNs. Except for the finish they are identical to the one shipped with my FAL. Haven't had a chance to test them.
Top Top