Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 3:03:04 PM EDT
Took off from the office after lunch for an oil change and a trip to the range with my new FAL. Per the instructions from DSA, I began breaking in the barrel. Didn't use my Portugese. Not the South African. I used some Pakistani I bought from my FFL to make up for the cheap transfer fee he charges me.

7.62 MM

L2 A2

08-MAR-1980

LOT 39

Damn stuff shoots fine. Clean. No bad smell. At 20 cents a round I have no problems. A guy was going to set up his chronograph but he got sidetracked so I didn't get to check the fps, but with the gas regulator set between 4 and 5 it had a nice snap to it. Brass is a little dingy, but no dings or corrosion.

Only one problem. What I would call the takedown pin (don't have my manual at hand) will not unscrew. When I turn the piece on the left hand side of the receiver, the nut (disk) on the right hand side turns as well. There is no way to hold it to keep it from turning. I tried to wedge a small screwdriver against the side of it so it would jam against the receiver, but it just slipped. Any ideas? I'm going to drip a little Kroil in the center of the nut where the bolt shows through. Maybe that will loosen it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Take down pin ;

I find if the receiver is latched, it will help hold the female part of the screw.
Push down hard with one thunb to keep from turning.

Realy tight :
Wedge in tooth picks between the receivers and screw head. drive them in and break off.

Lesson:
Don;t reassemble as tight as the manf.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Take down pin ;

I find if the receiver is latched, it will help hold the female part of the screw.
Push down hard with one thunb to keep from turning.

+1 for Rich. I use thumb pressure and a Nickel in the slotted side

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]
What do they say about 6 monkies and a typewritter?

Here's the  solution I stumbled on.

Page 54 of the "Light Automatic Rifle" book that comes with the DSA FAL shows a guy holding the barrel and using a coin to screw out the retainer pin. The butt (out of the picture) would seem to be on the ground. While unscrewing the retaining pin I applied some pressure as if I was trying to open the rifle further than full open position. This puts pressure on the joint pin that the retainer pin screws into, holding it enough to let you unscrew the retainer pin.

The manual should say:

"Swing the rifle open as far as it will go." While unscrewing the retainer pin, try to open the rifle a little more and maintain enough pressure to bind the joint pin and allow unscrewing the retainer pin.

Or words to that effect.

I tried it latched and that didn't give enough "bind."

ETA: I started with the butt flat on the ground, between my feet with the top of the weapon facing away from me. I rocked it away so it was balanced on the top corner of the butt, which made it easier to maintain a slight steady pressure on the open joint. Hope this works for you.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top