Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 12:19:51 PM EDT
Just got back from the range with a new build. You can tell by the smile on my face that I was happy with the performance and accuracy of this latest 21st century FAL.
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/7178/range23pf.jpg
The Project:
Starting with a GPG 6 groove rifling, 1/12 twist, 21" barrel with no gas port and a DSA upper receiver. The barrel was cut to 14.75" (with FN muzzle device 16.25") and turned down to a short gas system configuration with a new FN gas block from Gunthings. All this work was precisely and masterfully done by Rich at CGW and then parked. Slap on one Kaiserworks lower receiver with YHM rear sight and Magpul M93 stock and an international mix of small parts and lastly matte black gunkote and we're ready to go to the range.
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4461/pict00682pz.jpg
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/8459/pict00827kv.jpg
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/1394/pict00722vy.jpg
The business end!
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/4324/pict00627qt.jpg
The Results:
After consuming a 24 ounce coffee on an empty stomach and braving the morning high desert chill, I was ready to begin the tedious one shot at a time then swab barrel break-in. Soon after, I had the shakes under control enough to begin accuracy testing with iron sights. Without going through all the boring details and 240 rounds later, let me edit to this: There are 8" steel pipes hanging from a telephone pole @ 200 yards, I was able hit them 8 out of 15 shots on average (they swing slightly). My shooting partner was able to do much better. We then mounted the optic and had a little operator error, so I really can't do a report on the IOR 3x25 tactical scope at this time but will soon.
Conclusion:
-Those seeking weight savings (complete rifle was 8lbs.) and sleek business look of the short gas system will find that CGW does it right start to finish unlike some large alphabet manufacturers. Attention to detail, reliability and the ability to taylor your build to your exact specifications makes the CGW short gas system conversion a sure bet. Not to mention, turn around time is measured in weeks, NOT months/years like some large alphabet manufacturers.
-I was impressed beyond all expectation with the GPG barrels, they are easily worth twice the price and shoot more like three times the price, forget about other offerings on the market or that milsurp boat anchor. Do yourself a favor and fork over the buck fifty or so, you'll be happy you did.
-Falcon springs made me have to look several times to make sure I wasn't shooting an AR because the recoil was sooooo light. Muzzle climb was minimal and made double taps a breeze on the 50 yard target.
-The Magpul M93 is fast becoming my favorite stock on all rifle platforms, but especially the FAL when coupled with a KW lower. Its just so comfortable and is easily adjusted for any shooting style or shooter size.
-The YHM/BMAS rear sight makes iron sight zeroing a snap, heck, I cannot even remember what it was like on the old style FAL sights to use a screw driver to adjust windage, nor do I want to. Both elevation and windage were easily and precisely adjusted with gloved hands, it just don't get much easier than that.
-The DSA scope mount was rock solid if overly bulky, it also destroys brass as they're ejected making reloading once fired brass an ify proposition. I can't wait to try the new Grenadier Precision version.

Anyway, thats the dope; stay tuned for the future review on the scope!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Great review.  You are so right about Rich at CGW.  I have the first or one of the 1st Para buids he built after the AWB died.  The attention to detail and finish were amazing.  I almost did not want to use it.  

On your FAL do you feel the GP lower holds that M93 too low to be comfortable?  To me it looks way lower than a AR setup would be.  I have never handled one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Come on tax returns!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Great review.  You are so right about Rich at CGW.  I have the first or one of the 1st Para buids he built after the AWB died.  The attention to detail and finish were amazing.  I almost did not want to use it.   I did ? Pics man Pics.

On your FAL do you feel the GP lower holds that M93 too low to be comfortable?  To me it looks way lower than a AR setup would be.  I have never handled one. From iron peep to cheek is a 2" eye relief. Roughly the same as a standard para stock .

With optics, i find the cheek weld on most any FAL, more like a mid jaw weld and a cheek pad riser is required for serious glass.

On me, with CQB sights ie. eotech's etc. , the KW rests nicely between my upper and lower jaw bone. about earlobe level. Recoil is very comfortable and well suited for heads up on the move vision.

There are some pretty serious stock set ups out there for AR's that have adjustments everywhere. Of course they usually cost as much or more than the lower.
So, if serious glass or must have high mounted CQB, pick the lowest mounting possible and choose a stock with some cheek elevation.

Ace ltd. makes a standard AK style tube folder with optional LOP and plastic clamp on cheek riser.
1/2 & 1" buttpads are available to. The whole assy with swivel will run you approx. $170.00 Cheek pad is extra iirc $15.

ps. Kaiser Works ; Thanks again for passing on the good reviews.

hmmm! what can I sell to get one built just like it. Well almost !
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Great review.  You are so right about Rich at CGW.  I have the first or one of the 1st Para buids he built after the AWB died.  The attention to detail and finish were amazing.  I almost did not want to use it.   I did ? Pics man Pics.

On your FAL do you feel the GP lower holds that M93 too low to be comfortable?  To me it looks way lower than a AR setup would be.  I have never handled one. From iron peep to cheek is a 2" eye relief. Roughly the same as a standard para stock .

With optics, i find the cheek weld on most any FAL, more like a mid jaw weld and a cheek pad riser is required for serious glass.

On me, with CQB sights ie. eotech's etc. , the KW rests nicely between my upper and lower jaw bone. about earlobe level. Recoil is very comfortable and well suited for heads up on the move vision.

There are some pretty serious stock set ups out there for AR's that have adjustments everywhere. Of course they usually cost as much or more than the lower.
So, if serious glass or must have high mounted CQB, pick the lowest mounting possible and choose a stock with some cheek elevation.

Ace ltd. makes a standard AK style tube folder with optional LOP and plastic clamp on cheek riser.
1/2 & 1" buttpads are available to. The whole assy with swivel will run you approx. $110.00 Cheek pad is extra iirc $15.

ps. Kaiser Works ; Thanks again for passing on the good reviews.

hmmm! what can I sell to get one built just like it. Well almost !

Rich I guess that is you.  You built it for me in January 2005.  What it was was a kit that you had gotton from DSA.  You were supposed to get like 6 or so but you only got 1 or 2.  You were selling the builds with the parts on the FALFILES.  The customer had to supply the reciever,  I sent in the pre date Imbel reciever.  The kit came with 7 US parts and a DSA lightweight Para lower.  Does all this ring a bell?  Here are 2 pics one with flash and one without.  It is really overcast here so they did not come out all theat great.  I will get more latter when its sunny.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#5]
AH yes. I remember....

You where one of the fortunate ones. Boy did I pay a premium for the 2 kits I did find.

I waited a year for those kits and finaly just could'nt stand another backorder excuse and cancelled the entire order.

I think the gal on the phone actually ment it the last time. when she said it would be just a few more weeks. After I cancelled the order, I started seeing posts of others in my time frame, that started to receive theirs. hinking.gif

Glad that I could fill atleast, your order. Especialy, now that the Chrome lined barrels are gone for good.

Let me know if you ever need anything for it. And thank you again for being such a good customer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Great looking rifle.
How about some more info on the iron sights?
Are they difficult to adapt to a FAL? What is needed to get them to work, I assume it's not a simple bolt on.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:33:59 PM EDT
[#7]
If you mount your stock in conjunction with an ACE ltd. folding mechinisim, The adapters from ACE will give you a 1/2" adjustable up or down cheek weld.

RobT2K ;
All parts are bolt on. The lower offers the mounting platform for the rear sight and AR15 type stock options.

http://www.cgwguns.com/k4parabackend.gif

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
What made you decide to go shorter than the more standard 16" carbine barrel length?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:47:13 AM EDT
[#9]
As I understand the VLOPSI system, this can be adapated to a FAL rifle with the addition of a para top cover and bolt carrier correct?  Or is there additional gunsmithing needed?   Aslo, I'm interested in range results with the BMAS sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top