Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:52:28 AM EDT
I have a Century L1A1 sporter with the nasty butthole stock. The rifle has a 21" barrel, is built on a forged Imbel reciever with a Brit parts kit, and is in excellent condition. When I bought it, the gas system wasn't quite right, and it's now having the gas block worked on.

I would like to convert it to a pistol grip gun and this is basically what I was planning:

U.S. fire control group
Falcon U.S. L1A1 pistol grip
U.S. mag followers and floor plates
Original Brit stock to match the handgaurds(quality U.S. made inch furniture is very limited)
Barell cut to either 16.5" or 18" (I haven't decided for sure)

Would it be worth the money and effort to convert the rifle? I don't want to end up with the cost of a new DSA in this gun.

Also, are there any options for a shorter stock with the FAL/L1A1 rifles. I am used to M4 stocks on ARs and Warsaw stocks on AKs, and the FAL stocks are at too long for me.

Any tips or suggestions?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:00:59 AM EDT
DSA makes a lower you can buy that contains 5 of the 7( i think)US made parts.. Trigger group, buttstock, p-grip. Kinda pricey though, just over $400 I think. Nice pic btw. I considered converting mine . But may try to sell it.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:48:53 AM EDT
You have an inch build, on a metric receiver, so your pretty much limited to staying with inch parts, as the sight height is different between metric and inch. The DSA lower is metric, so that won't work. The VLOPSI lower that can use the M4 stock is metric, so that won't work.I would stay with your original idea and thread the barrel for a L1A1 flash hider.
Or you can pull the barrel, sell the inch "kit" and start over on the Imbel receiver, get one of the new US barrels from GPG and a VLOPSI lower, and you'll be on your way to a Mall Ninja special.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:02:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:
You have an inch build, on a metric receiver, so your pretty much limited to staying with inch parts, as the sight height is different between metric and inch. The DSA lower is metric, so that won't work. The VLOPSI lower that can use the M4 stock is metric, so that won't work.I would stay with your original idea and thread the barrel for a L1A1 flash hider.
Or you can pull the barrel, sell the inch "kit" and start over on the Imbel receiver, get one of the new US barrels from GPG and a VLOPSI lower, and you'll be on your way to a Mall Ninja special.

Actually, my receiver is inch as well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:19:50 AM EDT

I'm pretty sure all you would have to do is "swap" the rear sight. I've seen posts where people have done this and works fine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:28:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CrowKing:
I'm pretty sure all you would have to do is "swap" the rear sight. I've seen posts where people have done this and works fine.

You didn't read the first post very carefully.
He asked about shorter stocks and/or M4 stocks. The only way to do either is with a para conversion, and that is only going to work with a metric barrel or changing the gas block on his inch barrel to a metric one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:31:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CrowKing:

You didn't read the first post very carefully.
He asked about shorter stocks and/or M4 stocks. The only way to do either is with a para conversion, and that is only going to work with a metric barrel or changing the gas block on his inch barrel to a metric one.

OOps !!! you're right. Sorry-foot in mouth--

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 5:00:23 PM EDT by legonas]
im bored so i took some quick pics of my CAI L1A1 with imbel receiver. suggestions.... keep it cheap or go all out. they really are great guns. if you refinish it and throw some US made wood on it from ironwood designs it will be just as great as any other FAL out there.

as you can see, i went the cheap route. notice the import marks done with a dremel . this is REALLY noticable on the orginal ones at 5megapixels. i got hte wood from someone on falfiles. after a quick refinish job it came out great. i really like the "broke in" look. i got a new carry handle im going to replace the old one with, i just havnt got around to it yet.

i probaly will end up refinishing it and getting "new" wood. one day

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:18:13 PM EDT
Looks good.

Did you replace the FCG and have to put a pistol grip bushing on it?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:23:26 PM EDT
i got the bushing from gunthings.com, along with a few other parts. same trigger... compliance parts are in there.... somwhere?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:33:47 PM EDT
I have one exactly like yours that I converted with a US parts kit a few years ago. In order to put the pistol grip on you'll have to either replace the lower or buy a little adaptor stud for the pistol grip to mount to as the original stud was milled off by CAI in order to mount the butthole stock. I think you can get new stripped L1A1 lowers from "the dealer warehouse" or maybe tapco. If I remember correctly, the replacement stud that can be used with the original lower was being sold at gunthings.com ... but I could be wrong about that. It's been a while since I did all this. You might want to also post on the falfiles forums about this... and/or do a search on the subject both here and there. When you replace the pistol grip, you'll need to buy one of the original trigger return springs as well, 'cause CAI used a "frankenspring" in the butthole stock grip. Replacing this with the original spring will also have the side effect of making your trigger feel _immensely_ better/lighter than it feels in it's current configuration.
- When I got my CAI, it also had gas issues, but it turned out that the problem was just that someone had reassembled it without replacing the small roll pin that goes through the front of the gas tube and the gas block... and that was allowing too much gas to escape. I got a replacement pin and put it in there and it corrected things perfectly.

Those are the only "kinks" I can think of at the moment that I ran into. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:04:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By timb3:
I have one exactly like yours that I converted with a US parts kit a few years ago. In order to put the pistol grip on you'll have to either replace the lower or buy a little adaptor stud for the pistol grip to mount to as the original stud was milled off by CAI in order to mount the butthole stock. I think you can get new stripped L1A1 lowers from "the dealer warehouse" or maybe tapco. If I remember correctly, the replacement stud that can be used with the original lower was being sold at gunthings.com ... but I could be wrong about that. It's been a while since I did all this. You might want to also post on the falfiles forums about this... and/or do a search on the subject both here and there. When you replace the pistol grip, you'll need to buy one of the original trigger return springs as well, 'cause CAI used a "frankenspring" in the butthole stock grip. Replacing this with the original spring will also have the side effect of making your trigger feel _immensely_ better/lighter than it feels in it's current configuration.
- When I got my CAI, it also had gas issues, but it turned out that the problem was just that someone had reassembled it without replacing the small roll pin that goes through the front of the gas tube and the gas block... and that was allowing too much gas to escape. I got a replacement pin and put it in there and it corrected things perfectly.

Those are the only "kinks" I can think of at the moment that I ran into. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks!
Top Top