Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 6:51:37 PM EDT
I must say, DSA makes a nice FAL! I am the proud owner of a CA-legal DSA Stg58 carbine. Type 1 receiver. It has a 16.25" barrel and the Steyr type short FH. The handguards are the textured steel variety. I was a bit worried that it might have a pitted bore, but it seems I got one of the nice ones as it looks brand new, but is indeed a Steyr barrel. The only downside is the left-coast 10rd fixed magazine, but with the stripper clip top cover, it should be just like shooting an SKS, though it is much more powerful and has better sights and trigger. At least I can convert it over to detachable mags when I leave Kalistan without any trouble.

It's a heavy mother! The short 16" barrel will make nice fireballs as the range!

Click thumbnails for bigger image.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice, I need one of those mags.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice rifle. Too bad about the Cali bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Very nice rifle. Too bad about the Cali bullshit.

Yea, the fixed mag thing is stupid, but I have to give DSA thumbs up about the way they made it compliant. There are no permanent differences between the CA-legal receiver and any other DSA receiver. All they did was make the mag catch non operational and screwed in place. Order a new mag catch assembly and you now have a perfectly functioning detachable magazine rifle!

I also really like the stripper clip top cover. If I owned a FAL outside of CA I would be putting one of these on my rifle anyway. The ability to top off the magazine with stripper clips is a feature the FAL lacked over the M14. This corrects that.

Also, an Austrian STG58 cleaning kit came in the mail today. Its pretty cool and came with the Austrian combo tool, so now I dont have to order a gas regulator wrench.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks Great , Enjoy
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Heavy?
Remove the bipods and get a set of plastic handguards.

Yours looks NICE!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:01:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Heavy?
Remove the bipods and get a set of plastic handguards.

Yours looks NICE!

I am going to remove the bipod for sure as I shoot off of a sandbag, but I am really hesitant to remove the Steyr handguards as they really look nice.

It shoot pretty good for its first time. It still needs to break in some more but it did really good with 1982 Malaysian 7.62 ball. I was able to dial in the gas setting right away and it fed all 100rds of MAL without a FTF. It had problems with some of the Argentine 7.62 ball. The problem ammo was all 01FLB 81 marked and it seemed weak and inconsistent. I was never able to get the gas setting done right with this ammo. I would get it set right for a few rounds then I would get a few more FTF's. The gas setting was almost all the way closed with this stuff, while MAL was at about '3.5'.

IIRC, my M14sa shot poorly with this stuff as well. I had other Argentine with me too. It was marked 08FLB 81 and 09FLB 81 and it all shot just fine and at almost the same gas setting as the MAL. I am going to either blast away the last 01FLB 81 in my M14sa or bolt gun. I might pull the bullets for reloading as well as this stuff is crap.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am going to remove the bipod for sure as I shoot off of a sandbag, but I am really hesitant to remove the Steyr handguards as they really look nice.

You want looks or you want comfort?
If you want looks then don't complain about the weight.  
You want comfort then remove the steel handguards and get a set of the DSA plastic handguards.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Get the South African ammo for general plinking.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Removing the bipod makes a noticeable difference - not has front heavy.  The steel handguards look good, but get super hot when plinking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top