Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/14/2006 6:34:47 AM EDT
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CSI&Product_Code=CENGUNFAL&Category_Code=FN

Basically I am looking to get into 308's and had been looking at FAL's and G3 clones. I don't want to spend over 700 dollars, so the FAL from Centerfire caught my eye. I am justing wanting to know if this is a quality gun, or if I should avoid it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:05:15 AM EDT
It's a Century rifle, which have had problems in the past. I don't know about their newer ones, but a lot of their old ones had feeding/reliability issues. Also, you get a new, unthreaded barrel, so I don't know it that is okay with you. Having said all that, I have an older Inch pattern Century that I love and functions just fine. Good luck, and see if someone has bought one recently and can give you more info.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:17:34 AM EDT
Thanks for the reply...I am just wanting to get into a 308 without breakng me. I thought that this one might be a good entry level 308. Anyone have a better recommendation?

Blaker
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:14:12 AM EDT
Avoid the century and look for a quality build rifle. Azex, ARS, Ohio Rapid Fire.
Check the falfiles marketplace.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:56:39 PM EDT
How about a PTR91. I don't have one myself, but from everything I've read about them they seem to be a quality rifle. I think the base model goes for around $700.00 or so. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:21:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 6:19:06 PM EDT by Bigger_Hammer]
I know this is the FAL forum, so saying "Go With The PTR" is like screaming "I Love Rice Bikes!!" at the Sturgis Harley Jamboree.... Asking for Whup Ass!!

BUT... as someone who owns both a PRT and FAL (stg58) I hate to say it but....

+1 on the PTR

I've seen them at $695 (that is to the dealer figure some shipping and transfer fee) but you get a NEW rifle with a excellent warranty from a company that cares about customer service and a quality product!! Mags run only $2 to $5 per mag for Very Good condition Mags. I bought some from TapCo for $1.00 / mag that still had paper between the follower and feedlips (never been issued or used!)

The Century guns I've owned in the past.... Well I'll be charitable and say that Century took many "Quality Shortcuts" that a reputable and quality minded builder would not!

"... And that's all I have to say about that"

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:53:50 PM EDT
Skip the Century and save yourself some heart ache, they are pure junk. Look around and you will find a nice deal on much better guns.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:29:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By gunmonkey:
Avoid the century and look for a quality build rifle. Azex, ARS, Ohio Rapid Fire.
Check the falfiles marketplace.

+1

I shopped around for a long time when I decided on picking up an FAL. Luckily, I had someone here respond to a WTB advert that I threw up and managed to pick up a beautiful Izzy furnished Imbel carbine built by Rich at Century Gun Works out of Nevada. My experience has been 100% positive.

I would recommed grabbing either a DSA FAL or a kit rifle put together by a reputable smith who will stand behind their product. Make sure your first experience is with a rifle you don't need to worry about operating properly.

HTH

Blitz
Top Top