Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 12:34:21 PM EDT
Local shop had their big end of the year sale & I noticed they had a Century L1A1.  It says L1A1 Sporter, rec. made by Imbel-Brazil.  There's no muzzle brake & it comes w/ 11 magazines.  They wanted $389 for it but knocked 10% off for the sale.  After taxes I got it for $371.  

Did I get a decent deal on this?  It was an impulse buy, especially since there doesn't seem to be any FALs in my area.  If I read the info right, it's an inch rifle correct?  Is it possible to add a folding stock or am I limited to the stock already on it?  Thanks for any info you guys can give.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
great deal! but if you shoot ir and the sights are all out of wack dont be supprised, but dont loose hope.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Snafu,

It sounds like you got a pretty good deal on that as long as it runs well. The receiver is made by Imbel but, may be either inch or metric magazine cut. If it has a little slice milled into the rec it's metric. If it has a deep uniform slot then it will take inch mags.  The rifle sounds like one of the post '89 pre-94 rifles brought in by century with the plain crown. Does it have the thumbhole stock?  If not you may want to check fo US made parts to ensure 922(?) compliance.

If IN doesn't have their own ban like MA, NY, NJ , etc. you can prob pick up a folder but, that is an involved project. You would need the whole lower which is mainly the trigger group, a diff bolt carrier, top cover, stock.....these parts add up quick. Moreover, IIRC they are somewhat more fragile than the fixed stock set up. I'd keep it fixed stock, possibly add a muzzle attachment and any US parts needed to comply with the letter o' the law and shoot the hell out of it.

The best place to learn is www.falfiles.com

the link below has a whole bunch of stickied threads, some of which will cover century guns

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=7e4702229df8e383d8dc08c8f0d950aa&threadid=60277

good luck,

Blitz
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info guys.  To answer the question, it came w/ a regular pistol grip.  It looks like it will probably be an inch.  Is there any pictures of what the receiver should look like so I know for sure it's inch?  Thanks again.  All the info has been helpfull.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Not to rain on your parade but 99.99% of Century built guns are total unreliabel junk. Chances are your FAL will not run properly. I have had the chance over the years to fire aprox. 12 Century rifles and not 1 made it through a full mag with out jaming up. I hope yours is the exception....good luck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#6]
The Imbel receiver is worth $250 to $300 by itself. Minimum $5 a pop for the mags. You did well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Century's with the Imbel receiver tend to be the better of the bunch. It's the inhouse Century R1A1 receivers that tends to be a POS. I know, I got one.

MikeyBat
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#8]
my century L1A1 cost me 500$. its a nologo imbel receiver, bare muzzle and had the orginal thumbhole sporter furniture on it (from century). it takes metric mags.

you got a great deal and i would have bought it in a heartbeat at that price.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#9]
A real good buy.  Even if it runs rough you can get your  money back out of it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I sure am glad all of you other guys are getting all the bad ones. I am on my 4th Century FAL now and they have all ran great with anything I put in them. In fact I still have my first that I purchased about 10-12 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
great deal! but if you shoot ir and the sights are all out of wack dont be supprised, but dont loose hope.

Century FALs didn't have a problem with the sights, their CETMEs and AKs did. The common Century FAL problems is the instalation of the gas plug on single shot grenade setting. Older two piece gas piston that bend. and the failure to install the cross pin in the gas tube resulting in enough gas loss to cause a malfuntion.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not to rain on your parade but 99.99% of Century built guns are total unreliabel junk. Chances are your FAL will not run properly. I have had the chance over the years to fire aprox. 12 Century rifles and not 1 made it through a full mag with out jaming up. I hope yours is the exception....good luck.

My imbel Century L1A1 is 100%. Not one single problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm glad you got a nice one but for every lucky guy whos Century gun runs properly there are dozzens who don't. Century is a junk brand and will never be known for any bit of quality in their guns.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 for everyone that does work well there are dozens that don't GOOD LUCK I hope you got a good one
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm glad you got a nice one but for every lucky guy whos Century gun runs properly there are dozzens who don't. Century is a junk brand and will never be known for any bit of quality in their guns.

Centurys might not exactly be the "Cadillac" of firearms, but you're DEFINETLY blowing their QC problems WAY out of proportion.... IF they put out as many lemons as you claim, how do you think they're still in business??? Sounds more like keyboard coomando crappola from someone who doesn't know SQUAT about guns, IMO...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#16]
SNAFU-M1A - Sounds like you got a pretty good deal to me, bud - don't let some of these guys get you all alarmed before you've even shot the thing... If you run into any troubles, just ask questions - and we'll get you all straightened out...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:50:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Century with a HESSE receiver runs just fine....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Centurys might not exactly be the "Cadillac" of firearms, but you're DEFINETLY blowing their QC problems WAY out of proportion.... IF they put out as many lemons as you claim, how do you think they're still in business??? Sounds more like keyboard coomando crappola from someone who doesn't know SQUAT about guns, IMO...

- georgestrings

George,
I'd don't have to even try to disprove you just look and read about all the folks on here and other forums that complain about their problems with Century. They speek for themselves.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll stick with what I said....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got 2 Cen. R1A1s and they are 100% reliable.  As sold though they are not for the inexperianced. There is always something that needs working on out of the box. But if you are able to work on them they can be nice when you get done. I've never seen one ( FAL )with a bad park job. With Centery you pay your money and deal with what you get. They can be very good deals for the experianced but disapointing to a novice at times. Of course what I learned to work on them came off of forms like this one and others. I'll put it like this if I can find another Cen. R1A1 with the funky muzzle brake I'll buy it. I took advantage of theTapco deals when they were almost giving parts away. I can keep my POS rifles running a long, long time, and I can work on them myself. If I had bought a DSA instead what would I have learned other than the basics? And for the money I have two rifles instead of one and a wealth of knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#21]
You made a good buy - while my CAI R1A1 is not a pretty safe quenn it does operate fine. The only work I have had done is to put a pin in the mag well to allow the bolt hold open on empty mag to function which CAI left out. I also put a DSA scope mount cover on it.  IMO it is finished out at least 75-80% of a current DSA StG58 rifle. I found that while it is machined for inch mags the metric work better. They fit tight without any slop. If I had a complaint it would be about the muzzle break.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#22]

I got lucky too - My R1A1 has been a superb shooter, reliable and accurate, even if it has not pedigree.
But I know about the angry beavers from past Century products i have owned, and know it's a gamble.
I rolled the dice and won.

Hope yours works out good too!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fortunately the FALs and L1A1 Century clones are much easier to fix the issues on than some of their other rifles like the G3 and CETME. Usually just involves fxing the timing, locking shoulder or unibrow feed ramp. The CAI CETMEs and G3s are virtually unfixable if the receiver are way out of spec, as my two were, so the FAL is really one of the better Century rifles to buy, if you don't mind tinkering a bit.
Just like their Romanian AKs, the SAR series.

I can understand how some would not want to tinker, and for them DSA and Entreprise has the ticket, but expect to pay a lot more.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I just sent a Century gun to the shop for a friend. The gun will not feed unless the gashole is
blocked up. i have exhausted all my knowledge in trying to make it work, so off it went.
If yours works flawlessly it is a great deal. If not, it is a good deal depending on
how much you have to spend to get it running right.

Mine on the other hand runs like a prom queen from the varsity football team after a kegger.
Quickly became one of my favorite rifles.

.308 is hard not to like when you have a 30 round mag hanging
out of the bottom of an L1A1, and things go bump in the night:)

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#25]
My Century L1A1 is built on an Imbel inch receiver.   It runs like a top, and is one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

If 99.99% Century built are bad, then there must be tens of thousands of bad ones floating around out there considering all the people I've seen that have talked about how well their's run.  Not to say that Century builts custom quality weapons, and that they don't have some with a lot of problems, but the problems don't seem to be quite as prevalent as some people say.  

It is also interesting how often it is stories from people who know other people that have had problems, and have never actually owned one for themselves, because they know better, of course.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:49:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Dude, Ignore the hype.  Century has put out some crappy guns, but not all of them are crap by any stretch.  Take the rifle out and shoot it.  Does it feed?  Does it Fire? Does it Extract?  Can you hit a target with it?  Can you zero it with surplus ammo?  Any of these problems can be fixed, and you will STILL have a decent .308 battle rifle.  Will it ever be a collector gun?  Not likely.  Will it be a shooter? Absolutely.  Will you still like to shoot it if you spend $400 putting a folding stock on it?  Not likely.  I know very few people that find a folding stock comfortable to shoot.

The only caviat I will place on that opinion, is if you happen to have one of the 2 piece gas pistons [pull it out, does it "wiggle?], spend the $35 for the Tapco Gas Piston as this is a wear item, and will break.  If you already have the 1 piece part, then put it back in and be happy.

BTW www.falfiles.com
is your BEST source for info on FAL's but beware, there are just as many "brand snobs" there as there are here.  

You did good, be happy and go shoot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I just sent a Century gun to the shop for a friend. The gun will not feed unless the gashole is
blocked up.

KyARGuy

You do know the L1A1/FAL has an adjustable gas system right? Fully open to fully closed and everything in between.  Just turn the dial. My L1A1 clone runs great on "6".

Just checking.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh yea....This one wouldnt run on any setting.  I had to cut a piece of sheetmetal and curv it to fit inside the regulator so that it completely blocked the hole. Then it would run... For a while until the gas pressure
pushed off the regulator retaining spring and the regulator. Reinstall and it ran fine until the same thing repeated again.  

Its off to the L1A1 Repair shop for work.

My L1A1 runs flawlessly...go figure

KyARGuy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top