Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/18/2005 5:52:20 AM EDT
looking for a solid rifle, debating an AR-10 or Fn-fal ,help please which is the better of the two? for durablity accutracy and scope mounting options and overall quality, thanks for your help Hooah
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:46:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2005 7:25:19 AM EDT by BB]
I've had both the Armalite AR10A2C and the AR10A2 SEBR, as well as a DSA StG58C, StG58CP, Springfield Armory SAR-48 Match and Century L1A1.

Originally Posted By datruth:
looking for a solid rifle, debating an AR-10 or Fn-fal ,help please which is the better of the two?

Assuming you are considering the ArmaLite AR10 and the DSA SA58

1. for durablity: FAL, no question. Not even close.

2. accuracy and scope mounting options: The AR10, if you buy one with a stainless match barrel, is more accurate than the FAL. With the FAL you'll need a scope mount; the AR10 of course has the flat top rail. IMO the "standard" FAL and AR10 are equal shooters when shooting surplus ammo.

3. overall quality: FAL. The FAL has been the most reliable 308 I've owned, and when it comes to quality I prioritize reliablity over maximum accuracy, at least for an all-purpose carbine role.

If I went with an AR platform for a super-accurate rifle, I'd go with the DPMS LR308 over the Armalite product, due to initial cost and the superior DPMS magazine design.

In the end, buy both. I plan to.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:48:25 AM EDT
I've never owned an AR-10.

However, over the years I have owned HK91's (3), M1A/M14's (2) and varoius FAL's (4).

I currently own a FAL again after being away from the type for a few years. As soon as I traded away the previous FAL I regretted it. I always find myself comming back to that design for many reasons....reliabilty, easy to get parts and mags, easy to work on and plenty accurate for
defense/hunting/plinking.

As far as scopes are concerned, get a DSA or ARMS mount and you should be OK. Just don't use any cheap scopes because the recoil of the FAL will cause them to not hold zero.

Get an FAL with a DSA or Imbel receiver. DSA makes a very nice FAL. Mine is a kit built gun on an Imbel receiver and is very nice also. It shoots 100%.

If you are really wanting an accurate rifle in .308, I'd go with a bolt action tactical rifle of some sort. I understand that the AR-10 is very accurate, but I think for most uses you would be better off with the FAL.

Have fun with whatever you get and shoot safe,

Flyer

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:11:27 AM EDT
For bench shooting and accuracy, I would go with the AR10. The AR10 has much better ergonomics in my opinion as well as optics options. To mount optics to the FAL, you must do so on a modified topcover. This top cover is held in place by the upper and lower mating togther or by screws and friction. Not the best for long term repeatable accuracy.

Mind you I have three FALs and love each one. They are fantastic battle rifles. They were not however designed to be precision rifles. Is money an issue with you? If not, here is what I would buy:

This rifle is available from ADCO Inc.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:14:26 AM EDT
If I could own only one .308 semi-auto rifle, it would be a FAL. No question about it!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:23:21 AM EDT

HOT. That is exactly what I plan on doing to a DPMS LR308.
Top Top