Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:06:07 PM EDT
Hey guys I was looking into buying one of the FN/FAL's from ohio rapid fire (the 16 inch). I was wanting to know from any of you guys who own one, seen, handeled, shot, or owned one in the past. Are they any good, pros cons, fit and finish, any issues with them, anything positive or negative to say about these guns. Any info will help I dont want to buy a lemon. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:25:11 AM EDT
Mine was built by ORF and is the best FAL I've owned.

It's a gear logo Imbel receiver on an unissued Imbel kit except for the

required US parts which are all DSA.

Over the years I've had 4 different FALs and this one is for sure a "keeper"!

I put an Aimpoint on mine the other day and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Shoot safe,

Flyer
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:28:03 PM EDT
Unless you're buying one from a third party, you're probably not going to be able to get one. They have been out of stock for months and don't have an estimate as to when they'll begin building them again. I waited three or four months in the hopes of getting one, but gave up after hearing the same "It'll be at least a month before we start building them again", I gave up and bought a DSA. Last time I called, they weren't planning to build any more until "sometime after the new year". That was early November.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:32:16 PM EDT
I can wait I dont plan on buying it for a while no funds for it as of yet Im just kicking the idea around. I would like to get one of ORF because it is only an hour and fifteen minuet drive for me.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:10:40 AM EDT
Click here for a report I wrote a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:44:10 PM EDT
I've got an ORF built 21" FAL. Excellent gun. Had a slight barrel timing issue which Todd fixed (at no charge of course). Good guy to deal with just always has a lot of projects going on.

I managed to shoot an inch and a quarter group at 100 yards with mine so it's not lacking for accuracy. If I had a better scope mount I might be able to do a little better.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:58:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Orange_Neck:
Click here for a report I wrote a couple years ago.

Why would you expect to have it function at a gas setting of 2? I run mine at 6 and it runs fine.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:28:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 6:01:25 AM EDT by Orange_Neck]

Originally Posted By _DR:
Why would you expect to have it function at a gas setting of 2? I run mine at 6 and it runs fine.

On my regulator, the smaller the number the smaller the size of the gas vent hole. At 2, it's almost completely closed and that's why I expect it to have enough gas pressure to drive the bolt back enough to allow the bolt latch to hold the bolt back.

ETA: With the gas port enlarged from .109 to .125, the BHO functions flawlessly with the regulator set to 5.5. However, it is set to 4.5 for assured functioning as it is SOP per mil manual.
Top Top