Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 5:53:15 PM EDT
i was wondering if anyone has first hand experience of the ofv ammo made in 1986.  i tried posting this on the ammunition forum, but not many bites.

ive used plenty of ofv 1991 and it ran great in my cetmes, hk91s and my fal.  i just dont have anymore 91 and all i could find at a decent price is 86.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Century Arms has OFV 74 listed for sale. It is the Indian in badoleers and on stripper clips. Reloadable brass.  .14c per round with a flat $12.50 shipping charge for orders under $500

To answer your question, I haven't fired any OFV M80 other than 74.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:46:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Century Arms has OFV 74 listed for sale. It is the Indian in badoleers and on stripper clips. Reloadable brass.  .14c per round with a flat $12.50 shipping charge for orders under $500

To answer your question, I haven't fired any OFV M80 other than 74.

well thanks for posting anyway, its the thought that counts
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I would stay away from any Indian ammo.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

i know some certain indian is very risky to use, however ive shot 1280rounds of indian stamped ofv 91' and had 0 issues with it in several different rifles.  its great plinking ammo.  id like to know if anyone used the indian stamped OFV 7.62 M80 86.  thats all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I fired a few rounds of the OFV 7.62 M80 86 through a FAL, but the ammon seemed under powered and would not function the action.  After several rounds and changing the gas setting without the rifle working properly, I quit firing this ammo.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Gander mountain sells 400 rnds of Century .308 Indian ammo for $80.  I wanted to see what the stuff looked like and tried to open the .50 cal can to see.  The damn can was rusted shut.  I tried 3 until I found one that would open.  I don't recall the headstamp but I passed on that.  For $10 more you can get two 200rnd cans of linked Portugese .308 thats headstamped 1993.  Plus you could probably get back a few bucks by selling the links.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i know some certain indian is very risky to use, however ive shot 1280rounds of indian stamped ofv 91' and had 0 issues with it in several different rifles.  its great plinking ammo.  id like to know if anyone used the indian stamped OFV 7.62 M80 86.  thats all.

Like I said, "I would stay away from any Indian ammo."  Just one KABOOM is all it would take and then all the money you may have saved wouldn't matter anymore.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I've fired a bunch of the stuff, but I did notice more physically defected ones in the '86 brew. I ordered another 1k from J&G and the headstamp says '02 and looks decent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine had noticed that some of his indian rounds seemed underpowered, so he pulled heads and measured the charges in a dozen. He found a 7-grain difference between the weakest and strongest round.

I won't put that stuff in my FAL.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've fired a bunch of the stuff, but I did notice more physically defected ones in the '86 brew. I ordered another 1k from J&G and the headstamp says '02 and looks decent.

thanks, ive already received 4cans of it from wideners.com  dug down a few layers, all seem to be fine.  wont get to test them out til the weather gets nicer.  im probably going to order some more since it looks preety identical in quality to the 91' stuff i had.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I've shot about 800 rounds of the Indian OFV headstamped ammo 70's production with NO problems. Its the one that comes 400 in a 50 cal ammo can in bandoleers and stripper clips. Bought 800 more from Sportsman's guide for $120 shipped, would have got more but thier inventory dried up.

Its rumored to be better than the newer 90's production Indian stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks, ive already received 4cans of it from wideners.com  dug down a few layers, all seem to be fine.  wont get to test them out til the weather gets nicer.  im probably going to order some more since it looks preety identical in quality to the 91' stuff i had.

theyve got a good price, so I assumed it was crappy....let us know if it shoots!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#13]
You may not have read this reply to a question I had in a post-

He was kind enough to reiterate his verdict when I missed it

Quoted:

Quoted:
Indian, Pakistani......you gotta be shittin' me.

Good rule of thumb........don't buy ammo from a country that pisses in their own drinking water.  

Of course he didn't mention headstamp, but I think his reply is worthy of a bumper sticker.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Of course he didn't mention headstamp, but I think his reply is worthy of a bumper sticker.

thats why i hand the exact headstamp in my topic and asked a few times to only post about actual experiences.

ive gone through 640rounds since i purchased the indian ammo.  ran about 200 in my FAL, ran 100% same for my hk91 and my century arms cetme.

aside from maybe 4-5 random rounds out of 640 that where tarnished a lot more then the rest of the ammo, there where no problems.  they all shot fine.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I have some of the 86 Indian.  Out of 1280 rounds, I pulled under 30 of them for various reasons (that's less than 3%) .  The rejects had cracked/crushed necks, loose bullets, or extreme tarnish (one round looked like it was stored in salt water).  The cases are dirty and many have a tar like substance on them.  I wiped down all of them with a high flash adhesive remover (3m 8215).  After inspection and cleaning, I have been happy with all that I have shot so far.

The rejects I pulled are typical of what others have found with this ammo.  It's clear that there was very poor quality control in the manufacture of this ammo.  Many people will tell you to stay away from Indian, just search FalFiles for stories.  In my experience, if you have the time to inspect each round, it's decent stuff for the price.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

theyve got a good price, so I assumed it was crappy....let us know if it shoots!

ive been to the range a few times with this indian ammo.  once i dialed in my fal it ran flawless.  i was at an indoor range so distance was only 25yards.  only shot about 150rounds, but no problems at all.  didnt really go for accuracy, just pluggin away.  all went bang, all hit my paper.

went another time to the range, this time with the cetme.  again it was flawless.  i went through about 200.  accuracy was preety amazing.  again at 25yards, with iron sights and a poorly lit smoky range.  10shot groups where around 2" groups.  i was shooting as fast as i could while still taking a well aimed shot.  i know 2" at 25yards sucks, but a cetme is a battle rifle, not a sniper rifle.

between my 350-400 rounds in two seperate outings it shot well.  seemed quite consistant in load and accuracy.  good stuff, but too bad i didnt buy more.  price went up and shipping is $15bucks per can to IL
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Let me check tonight for my head stamps, I have shot this ammo quite often and never had a problem with any of it.

Unlike others who claim it is trash ammo and have never shot any, I like others have never had any kabooms.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I just blew through a couple hundred rounds yesterday at the range in my 1919, 100% fire rate and no kabooms
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Have the head stamp now,7.62 M80 97 OFV

No problems and plenty of it.

None of the rounds are out of the plastic packs they came in and some reported that the open boxed rounds were bad.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Have the head stamp now,7.62 M80 97 OFV

No problems and plenty of it.

None of the rounds are out of the plastic packs they came in and some reported that the open boxed rounds were bad.

I have two or three hundred loose rounds of the shit - got it from a guy along with some Lake City and other quality 7.62x51 when I traded rifles with him a few years ago.  

I'm in Richmond...if you want this stuff, lemme know and I can arrange to meet you at a gun show around here and pass it off.  No charge...just would like to get it out of my house...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top