Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2005 5:41:11 AM EDT
Hey all,
I don't even have an FAL yet, but I've seen a few Argie chrome lined barrels for sale.  Are these good barrels?  Would it be wise to buy a few "just in case"?  I know chrome lining is hotly debated in the AR world, but is it the same deal for FALs?  For a all around fun blaster/SHTF (in case of BIG zombies) does the mantra "go chrome or go home" apply here too?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a large lot of Argie barrels going around that do not have concentric bores. I would be very careful before you buy one, especially if you plan on shortening it.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah,
I heard about that from "Gunplummer"
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you tell if the barrels are bad?  Just bought an ARG barrel.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The Argy barrels that have the "open-ear" gas blocks use a different type sight post (same as the Izzy's) and require a taller rear sight (inch or Indian). So, they can't be used on a para or a rig with a para rear sight - at least without changing the gas block.
The barrels themselves are excellant, with chromelining and bore! I have one on a carbine build, with an Indian folding rear sight and threaded for a G3 flash hider.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Argentine barrels are excellent. Ignore what you have heard and buy one while you can. It's hilarious some of the things I read here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey all,
I don't even have an FAL yet, but I've seen a few Argie chrome lined barrels for sale.  Are these good barrels?  Would it be wise to buy a few "just in case"?  I know chrome lining is hotly debated in the AR world, but is it the same deal for FALs?  For a all around fun blaster/SHTF (in case of BIG zombies) does the mantra "go chrome or go home" apply here too?

Thanks
Rich

Chrome lined bores have never actually proved to do anything that a non chromed barrel wont do. They are easier to clean but will in no way last longer than a true chromeoly barrel contrary to popular myth. A simple metals class at your local community college will teach you that.

Go chrome or go home is simply silly. Especially for a semi civilian weapon.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Argentine barrels are excellent. Ignore what you have heard and buy one while you can. It's hilarious some of the things I read here.

You are right, ignore what you've heard!

Argie Barrels

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
That's exactly the post I was referring to.

Here's another pic..

That's what I'm worried about getting...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/webpictures/bentbbl01.jpg

Argie Barrels

So what exactly are you pointing out here in this picture? A barrel trashed by someone with a lathe?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Argie Barrels

I read the post on FALFILES. I would surmise he got a batch of bad barrels. This is not an indication that Argentine barrels are bad, just a bad batch.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Argie Barrels

So what exactly are you pointing out here in this picture? A barrel trashed by someone with a lathe?

The lathe cuts the out side of the barel concentric to the bore. As you can see, the lathe is cutting concentric to the bore but not cutting concentric to the outside of the barrel. Hense, the bore is not concentric to the boutside of the barrel.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Argie Barrels

I read the post on FALFILES. I would surmise he got a batch of bad barrels. This is not an indication that Argentine barrels are bad, just a bad batch.

Is there an echo in here? As I stated the first time, there is a large lot going around of Agie barrels that have bores that are not concentric to the barrel. Not all Argie barrels are bad but you sould excercise caution so that you do not get a bad one. This especially holds true if you plan on cutting one down because you may not be able to tell until it is off of the lathe.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
If you plan on leaving them at 21" then it won't matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top