Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/24/2003 3:37:13 PM EDT
I have shot my ARS STG-58 twice, and both times I ran into the same problem. Almost every time I fire a round the hammer follows the bolt home. Usually it just dents the primer, but it sometimes fires off a 2 or 3 round burst instead. I have tried several different types of ammo, and all of the gas settings, and I can't figure it out. It works fine when I function test it. I have also found that it doesn't have a full length gas tube, and instead has about 4 inches directly behind they gas regulator, and about 3 inches in the front of the reciever. Is that how it is supposed to be? I love this rifle and would really like to get it back into a safe condition.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:54:42 PM EDT
First of all, the gas tube thing is correct. The STG is called a "short gas tube", while the Imbels and most the others are long. The short actually has several advantages, but can't be used with Izzy handguards.

Now, as to your hammer following problem-- what position is your safety in? I'll assume it is in the correct semi position, but just tell me you didn't swing it around to the FA spot. It will fire one round at that position, but the hammer will follow the carrier down. With Milsurp ammo, it shouldn't have enough force to fire another round.

Assuming you have it in "semi", you need to look at the hammer/trigger/sear set up. Who made it? If it is marked with a "c", throw it away and buy a set from FSE. If you have an FSE marked "2" or "02", contact FSE and exchange it for the new "03" model. Many of the 02s had the problem you are describing.

Finally, have you contacted ARS? They are pretty good about backing their work. They may be able to either diagnose the problem on the phone or make it right by fixing a problem.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:01:53 PM EDT
Thanks for the info IRT the gas tube. The selector is in the right place, and cannot be set in the full auto position. I didn't contact ARS yet, and am not sure about the trigger group manufacturer. Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:31:52 PM EDT
Its pretty easy to figure out who's HTS you have. Just open it up and look. Most likely, you will see "FSE 02" on the side of the hammer. DSA doesn't mark theirs so that would complicate things, but they are so expensive compared to FSE that few people buy them. The Century ones are marked with a small "c" and they suck.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:08:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By joker581:
I didn't contact ARS yet

Good luck on this one.
AB
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:40:02 AM EDT

I have shot my ARS STG-58 twice, and both times I ran into the same problem. Almost every time I fire a round the hammer follows the bolt home. Usually it just dents the primer, but it sometimes fires off a 2 or 3 round burst instead. I have tried several different types of ammo, and all of the gas settings, and I can't figure it out. It works fine when I function test it. I have also found that it doesn't have a full length gas tube, and instead has about 4 inches directly behind they gas regulator, and about 3 inches in the front of the reciever. Is that how it is supposed to be? I love this rifle and would really like to get it back into a safe condition.

It is one of two things:

First, if you have a three way selector (full auto) on a semi rifle and have the selector set to FA, the hammer will follow the bolt forward otherwise, your sear is too short or broken not engaging the hammer when the bolt moves back to load a new round. This has nothing to do with the gas piston or setting. Now if the rifle is not loading a round and the hammer flies forward, your bolt carrier or return springs are pooched.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:57:25 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. I talked to Mark at ARS, and he is sending out the new fire control parts.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:37:27 PM EDT

Thanks for the info. I talked to Mark at ARS, and he is sending out the new fire control parts.

It's your sear of hammer. I promise.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:53:03 AM EDT
Make them send you a new sear spring as well! Even after getting the FSE "Mk 3" fire control group my FAL doubled on me. I was befuddled until I realized that I was using a sear spring that came with the crappy Century FCG and was probably older than I am. The sear didn't have enough force to hold the hammer in place considering the recoil of the gun. I got a spring for $3 shipped and the gun runs 100% now.
Top Top