Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2003 8:09:06 PM EDT
I went out one day with my DSA and fired off a couple of rounds after dark just to see what the muzzle flash was like.  What surprised me was the plume of bright gas that comes out of the gas bleed-off hole of the gas regulator.  Why even have a flash supressor?  Since that experience I have taken that item off of the "what I want if the ban sunsets" list.  Anyone with a flash supressor on their rifle have any input?  The way I see it, you would lose your ability to see in the dark either way, and it could screw with a night vision device either way, so what is the point?    
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Original FAL's did not have a flash suppressor, just a bare muzzle with a bayo lug, and the guard of the bayonet was supposed to act like a flash suppressor.

I've got a preban 18" Para that I haven't tried in the dark (don't have my own land to shoot on) and a 21" barreled DSA with the fake Stoll brake.  I've noticed the DSA has more blast.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry - you are right that it wasn't originally designed with one.  What I was trying to say was that eventually almost every army that adopted it added a flash suppressor.  I haven't had the opportunity to fire a FAL with a flash suppressor installed (stupid ban!!!!) so I honestly don't know how effective it is on muzzle flash.  I guess I need to set up an experiment to find out if it is bright enough to mess with your ability to see at night or not.      
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:57:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Some of that can be corrected.  Different types of ammo are brighter than others but they way to manage it is to close the gas system.  That means more gas into the piston, but less into the line of sight.  Not the greatest solution, but it works.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I was afraid that that would be the solution.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Grenade launching and bayonet mounting.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have an authentic "Stoll" flash hider...cutting barbed wire and opening beer bottles.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#7]
OK,lumpy196 and GummyBear1 - you got me on those points .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top